Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #361
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

He wont be closing out games to start off with, but I wouldn't be surprised if Foulke goes on the DL to see Schill get a few chances, however I'd rather have Schilling in the rotation
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #362
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm not reading into this move too much. I think it's exactly what Francona said, a way to have Schilling make an immediate impact on the team. It sounds like his troubles have been mechanical so coming out of the bullpen will allow him to pitch more often and evaluate his progress. In the meantime he should help solidify the bullpen. When Schilling is ready to return to the rotation, hopefully the Foulke situation will be sorted out.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #363
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
I absolutely love this move

I know the speculation on this is that it is not permanent, but I have a gut feeling that this will last until the end of the season. It also sets Theo up in a position where he doesn't have to overpay as much as before for some bullpen relief.

Can anyone picture the applause for Schilling coming out of the bullpen in the 9th inning at Fenway to close out a game? my god
Yea, well how hard to you have to look to get a starter of Schil's caliber? Very hard, when healthy. It ain't nearly as hard to get a very reliable closer. Schil is starter Terry!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #364
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
Schil is starter Terry!
I agree. I'm happy with the current rotation and I think we can get to the playoffs with them but I would NOT be comfortable going into a 7 game series with a rotation of Clement, Wake, Arroyo and Wells.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #365
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I agree. I'm happy with the current rotation and I think we can get to the playoffs with them but I would NOT be comfortable going into a 7 game series with a rotation of Clement, Wake, Arroyo and Wells.

I think if Schilling works out in the pen, the starters continue to do a pretty good job, and Foulke continues to have problems, the odds are strong that (atleast IMHO) that Schill will stay in the pen. And Theo will go ahead a move his attention to acquiring a starting pitching.

Although that's alot that would have to happen, and alot of "ifs"
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #366
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
And Theo will go ahead a move his attention to acquiring a starting pitching.
That could be the case, especially if Theo decides the market for starting pitching is better than relief. I'd feel much better about the Sox giving away prospects for a Burnett or Schmidt than a Guardado or Villone.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #367
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
That could be the case, especially if Theo decides the market for starting pitching is better than relief. I'd feel much better about the Sox giving away prospects for a Burnett or Schmidt than a Guardado or Villone.
exactly, that's part of the reasoning I saw in them moving Schill to the pen

Bad news but not unexpected, Foulke to the 15 Day DL, Arthroscopic surgery is scheduled. Don't know when it will happen though, link when I get one
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #368
All Star

OVR: 25

I don't know if I'd consider that bad news. At least it provides for a possible explanation for Foulke's poor showing this season. Hopefully it rights him and he can contribute down the stretch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »