Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #385
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Wow, if he pans out like that I'll be singing his praises till I'm blue in the face. At the very least with a strong fastball and the best curve in the system he's going to be a great power arm out of the pen. Originally projected as a # 2 starter, but with the surgery, he seems poised to make a difference towards the end of games.
From what I've heard about Delcarmen is that his secondary pitches aren't quite there yet, which is why he was moved to the bullpen in the first place. Not only did he pitch 2 scoreless innings in his debut, he struck out 5, walking one. In other debuts, today Anibal Sanchez went 4 innings, striking out 6 while walking 2. We'll see what Papelbon does in his debut tonight.

About Payton being DFA'd, it seems a little drastic, but hopefully we can get something of value in return, as there are some teams out there in need of outfield help (Dodgers, Braves).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #386
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffysCliff
About Payton being DFA'd, it seems a little drastic, but hopefully we can get something of value in return, as there are some teams out there in need of outfield help (Dodgers, Braves).
The Hartford Courant is on WEEI saying that they are putting the finishing touches on a trade for Payton. I'm guessing they DFA'd him to create room on the roster for tonight but not sure who will take his place since Stern is still recovering and Chip Ambres isn't on the 40 man roster.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #387
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

More news. XM radio is reporting that the Red Sox have traded Ramon Vazquez to the Indians for Alex Cora.

Also, Adam Stern was called up to take Payton's place.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #388
Rookie

I like this deal, though Cora hasn't done much offensively this year, he's been decent in the past. Plus hes a better fielder than Vazquez, and most importantly, not hurt.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #389
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffysCliff
I like this deal, though Cora hasn't done much offensively this year, he's been decent in the past. Plus hes a better fielder than Vazquez, and most importantly, not hurt.
Yah, the Vazquez trade is a no-brainer. We needed a utility infielder that can actually field. Not like we were getting much offense out of Vazquez anyways.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #390
Rookie

Do you think he'll mention his 18 pitch at bat that ended in a home run to Matt Clement? Oh, and another plus to Cora, according to Gammons, he's the smartest player in baseball. The only real downside I can see to this trade is that Cora makes 1.3 million this year, while Vazquez only was making 700 thousand. Though since it's halfway through the season, the difference is only like 300 thousand.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #391
All Star

OVR: 25

I'm glad they're making changes now instead of the day of the deadline like last year. I'd love to see Delcarmen have great success at Pawtucket and earn at least a September call-up late in the year. It's definitly nice having prospects to look forward to seeing in the show for once. Could it be possibly they promoted him to show him off some at the Triple A level to perhaps increase his trade value? If he has a shot of being as effective as K-Rod then they'd be stupid to trade him but we'll see.

Cora is a much better option off the bench than Vazquez. I'm happy with that move as Vazquez really couldn't hit, run, or field because of injuries and ability. Stern will probably start tonight. I don't expect the team to get much for Payton, but perhaps Atlanta would take him in exchange for Danny Kolb if Boston took on some of Kolb's salary. I don't know if Kolb would be the answer in the pen, but he'd be worth a look. Guardado would be the ideal man to land for the pen, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #392
MVP

OVR: 15

Any ideas on what the package for the Payton trade will be like?

I don't think it'll involve any big names, maybe Kolb out of ATL? Although that's a pretty big risk.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »