Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #457
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Jayson Stark today on ESPNews: "You'll see the Red Sox make a move for the best starter or the best reliever before the deadline, whichever one is available." Among the names he mentioned, AJ Burnett and Billy Wagner. I think with AJ's stuff and the Marlins demands, which is basically a pitcher to replace him, a closer or end of the line reliever, and a close to ready prospect, we should probably stay out of that one. Anyone heard what the Phils would demand for Mr. Wagner? If it were Shoppach and any combination of prospects outside of the top 5, I think Theo would have already initiated the talks.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #458
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I heard a rumor that there are some Burnett for Arroyo talks going on. It just isn't clear what the Marlins would want in addition to Arroyo. I could see a mega deal going down with Philadelphia involving Wagner and Thome but I really doubt the Red Sox would be willing to take on that much salary.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #459
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I heard a rumor that there are some Burnett for Arroyo talks going on. It just isn't clear what the Marlins would want in addition to Arroyo. I could see a mega deal going down with Philadelphia involving Wagner and Thome but I really doubt the Red Sox would be willing to take on that much salary.
I'd gladly give up Arroyo to get AJ, the only question is what top pitching prospects do they want in addition since we can't give them a major league reliever, and God forbid Hanley. I'm glad we're headed to Portland in the next few days though, just in case!

Stark also said the Phils are listening to anyone about everybody, Bobby Abreu included. I know the brass is waiting till the offseason to address Johnny's contract, but if we knew for sure we couldn't keep him, Abreu is the guy I'd want over just about anyone. Again, probably couldn't happen, but what a pickup that would be if we knew more. I think the Phils are stuck with Thome though, which is funny because how good Ryan Howard can be.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #460
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
I'd gladly give up Arroyo to get AJ, the only question is what top pitching prospects do they want in addition since we can't give them a major league reliever, and God forbid Hanley. I'm glad we're headed to Portland in the next few days though, just in case!
Theo has repeatedly said he isn't willing to give up the "untouchables" which includes Papelbon, Lester, Hanley, Pedroia, Sanchez and Delcarmen. Who knows if he's telling the truth. My feeling is that he expects several of them to make significant contributions next year in order to save money on them so they can spend it elsewhere. Pedroia, Papelbon and Delcarmen seem like the most likely candidates to be on the team next year.

The question about AJ Burnett is, can you sign him and for what? I've heard rumors he wants up to $60/4. I think that's too much since he hasn't been all that healthy and they already have over $20 mil committed to Schilling and Clement for next year. However, if they don't think they can sign Damon or don't want to deal with that drama it might make sense to improve the team elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Stark also said the Phils are listening to anyone about everybody, Bobby Abreu included. I know the brass is waiting till the offseason to address Johnny's contract, but if we knew for sure we couldn't keep him, Abreu is the guy I'd want over just about anyone. Again, probably couldn't happen, but what a pickup that would be if we knew more. I think the Phils are stuck with Thome though, which is funny because how good Ryan Howard can be.
That would be one wild deal if Abreu was involved. I doubt anything of that magnitude will happen though.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #461
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I have a weird one to throw out there, while I doubt this happens, but...

Abreu/Wagner for Manny? Theo's always trying to get rid of Manny, so I mean, who knows.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #462
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
That would be one wild deal if Abreu was involved. I doubt anything of that magnitude will happen though.
After last year at this time...Can you honestly doubt anything? lol
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #463
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

David Wells was suspended 6 games for the July 2nd incident, where he "came in contact" with two umpires. I'm assuming he'll appeal and get his start vs the yanks in.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #464
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
I have a weird one to throw out there, while I doubt this happens, but...

Abreu/Wagner for Manny? Theo's always trying to get rid of Manny, so I mean, who knows.
That'd be sweetass, though it would make the lineup pretty damn lefty centric. Damon, Ortiz, Abreu, Nixon. A LOOGY's wet dream.

Good thing we have Mike Myers.

I don't see Philadelphia moving Abreu. I know Ed Wade is supposedly dumb and all, but I don't see most GM's moving core players who produce. You strive to attain guys like Abreu, you don't just move them for what wouldn't clearly be an upgrade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »