Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 AM   #473
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
With Tek signed up, we all know Shoppach is expendable. Arroyo is getting lit up by left handed hitters, and Youk is a solid position player but doesn't project to be the answer at either corner position with his marginal power even though he's got great plate discipline. I doubt it'd be this easy, but I love this type of deal if it's available to us.
I would do this trade as well. It would mean resigning Bill Mueller for next year which is a good thing. It would also give us another #1 starter for this year and a legit #1 going forward since Schill only has 1 year left.

They would need to be able to sign Burnett in order for this year to go through. I'm guessing he'd get something around 44/4 - 50/4. This would mean you have over 30 mil locked up in 3 starters for next year which would probably signal the end of Johnny Damon's time in Boston. If the Red Sox think they can't resign Damon or don't want to deal with the drama of it, they will look to improve the team elsewhere since there is no CF out there who can replace Damon. In that case, this deal would make a lot of sense.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #474
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
You know, I would'nt be surprised if that deal went through. It would open up 3rd for Hanley to get accustomed to to replace Mueller, and personally I'll take Burnett's stuff of Arroyo's stuff everyday, no matter what the stats say, Soppach, well...no one really cares about him anymore.
I don't think Hanley would move to 3rd. They'd resign Mueller for at least another year and then possibly move Renteria over after next year. I think the consensus is that Hanley is not ML ready. It would also be a stretch to include him since they wouldn't want too many first year starters and seem to have Pedroia penciled in at 2B for next year.

Hanley might see some time in the majors next year but I don't think he'll be a legit starter until 2007.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #475
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

I think a lot of Red Sox fans are a bit caught up in Hanley mania. He's supposedly extremely athletically (how's that for 3 adverbs in a row?) gifted, but his actual baseball production has not been mind blowing or anything. .281/.341/.432 so far this year at Portland. That's not bad or anything, but it's not "he will provide all star production for league minimum" material.
I guess his high value comes from the fact that he can theoretically play a good SS, CF, 2B, or 3B, but as of right now, I'm higher on Pedroia and Papelbon than I am on Hanley. I think Hanley has gotten a huge amount of hype by Red Sox fans, and is being overrated quite a bit.

I don't think he's ready to step in as a full time ML player in 2006. Pedroia might be, especially with Bellhorn licking choad lately..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #476
Rookie

OVR: 4

Pedroia will be starting at 2nd base next year.
I think Hanley will be in AAA next year. 2007 he will be called up to the team. I see Edgar being the one to move to 3rd base in 2007 because I believe he already stated he is willing to move.
Papelbon and Lester could be called up this year to solidify the bullpen.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #477
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

According to Drew R.(dont feel like spelling his name) Papelbon should be called up by the end of the season, and if Craig Hansen ever signed he though Craig would be up in September.

And p.s. I'm not one of the "hanley is god" sign holders, I'd rather see Pedroia, Edgar and Mueller than Pedroia, dgar and Hanley, because like has been said, Hanley isn't ready. Give him next year in AAA with a few call-ups for injury fill-in reasons and then he could probably take over the following year.

If the Burnett deal went through, and we signed him for the enxt few years, I dont think it'd be surprising if Damon was gone, because the team is supposedly high on Ellsbury, so you find a fill-in CF for next year and let Ellsbury start the following year...could be a decent long term plan.

Bunett would probably be like Matt Clement, a good pitcher with good stuff, who hadn't fully lived up to his potential, and then you throw him with Tek calling the shots and BAM he becomes the teams Ace. Or at least, that's what I'd hope would happen.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #478
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I think Pedroia could come up this year and still be one of the tougher outs in the league in his rookie season...so I'm with you guys. The reason everyone hearts Hanley so much is because he was the one legit top prospect in our system before Theo decided to turn the whole thing around. Gammons actually thinks that Pedroia could be an all star at second in a few years, even though Hanley's upside due to his athleticism is undeniable. I honestly can't remember a greater turn around in any farm system...this is Theo's greatest accomplishment in my mind considering the time frame and how laughable we were 3 years ago.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #479
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
I think Pedroia could come up this year and still be one of the tougher outs in the league in his rookie season...so I'm with you guys. The reason everyone hearts Hanley so much is because he was the one legit top prospect in our system before Theo decided to turn the whole thing around. Gammons actually thinks that Pedroia could be an all star at second in a few years, even though Hanley's upside due to his athleticism is undeniable. I honestly can't remember a greater turn around in any farm system...this is Theo's greatest accomplishment in my mind considering the time frame and how laughable we were 3 years ago.
Theo's greatest accomplishment was fielding a team that won a WS. Revamping the minors is second.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #480
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
Theo's greatest accomplishment was fielding a team that won a WS. Revamping the minors is second.
For Red Sox Nation, of course. My finest moment as a sports fan for sure...still smiling about it.

But revamping the minors will make it possible year after year after year. Considering how talented the MLB roster was when he got here and how bad the farm system was comparatively, it's incredible. I'm appreciative for the ring beyond words, don't get me wrong, but on a larger scale it's just as important to build what the Braves have been able to do over their division title streak.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »