Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #505
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
I don't see why the Jays don't just offer Cattalanotto, Chacin, + one of their better prospects.
That seems a little bit steep for somebody like Burnett with his injury history, but he's a strikeout pitcher. You pay a pretty penny for starters who throw gas.

Halladay + A.J. Burnett would be extremely formidable. Kip Wells is feces and is not a clear upgrade whatsoever.
My guess is that Burnett's agent may be indirectly involved in these trade talks. He's probably telling the Marlins where Burnett is willing to sign and how much it will take. They're not going to announce a trade only to have Burnett not sign and have it fall apart. This may be the case with the Blue Jays since Burnett has already expressed an interest in playing for Baltimore or Boston.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #506
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

They want Brandon League. He has the ability to be a dominant closer with his electric stuff. JP doesn't want to give him up.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #507
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
This may be the case with the Blue Jays since Burnett has already expressed an interest in playing for Baltimore or Boston.
We have as good a chance, if not better, than Boston or Baltimore due to the fact that he has a good relationship with pitching coach, Brad Arnsburg.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #508
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
My guess is that Burnett's agent may be indirectly involved in these trade talks. He's probably telling the Marlins where Burnett is willing to sign and how much it will take. They're not going to announce a trade only to have Burnett not sign and have it fall apart. This may be the case with the Blue Jays since Burnett has already expressed an interest in playing for Baltimore or Boston.
This is likely the case, but why would Burnett not want to go to Toronto? I imagine they could pay him just as much, if not more, than any of the other suitors. Money is the single most important aspect of the re-signing process. I could see them ponying up something like 4 years/$48M, or something in that neighborhood. Burnett could be the missing piece to bring the Jays back into the playoffs, so that could be an enticing aspect with being hailed as the 'savior' of sorts. Who knows though, this is all idle speculation with no inside knowledge. It's certainly interesting to discuss.

As a Red Sox fan, it's fairly disconcerting to know the Jays are sitting on all that money, waiting to make the right move... This is even more of a reason why Theo can't afford to take on a Lowell type player that could prohibit us from acquiring somebody else at a later time.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #509
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
I'm inclined to believe Burnett will go to whomever accepts the albtatross Lowell. He is producing absolute bupkes, and getting paid a huge amount ($8M for the next 2 years).

That said, I don't see any way Theo accepts some of these proposed deals involving Lowell. One of the main tenets of the Epstein Era has been not to absorb poor contracts just because we're the Red Sox and we can. He would argue that this is the quickest way to hamstring the franchise into fiscal inflexibility.

Getting Lowell would go against everything Theo has done thus far. I don't see either the O's or anybody else taking on Lowell, meaning, this will drag out for a while longer until Florida accepts a lesser offer. I'd bet he goes to the Orioles.
I believe it is very possible that the Sox would likely accept Lowell in lieu of giving up one of the top 5/6 prospects and would then send Lowell+cash to a team in need of a third basemen for some bullpen help.

Just going from the rumors that were around yesterday I think something like this would make some sense:

Red Sox get
AJ Burnett
Akinori Otsuka

Marlins get
Kelly Shoppach
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Burroughs

Padres get
Mike Lowell
Abe Alverez
B level prospect
cash considerations

another thing to consider is if the Sox feel Lowell has something left they could move him to first and trade Millar. Also noteworthy are Lowells numbers against leftys this year (.313/.373/.531/.905) so the Sox could platoon him with Olerud to maximize his production hope he puts up better numbers playing half his games at Fenway and try to move him in the off season. Finally fwiw Mike Lowell is not in the Marlins lineup today.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #510
MVP

OVR: 15

just a sidenote, the guy at the ESPN forums is usually pretty reliable. I don't know if someone got jealous and started posing as him to stir up the pot. He was a day and a half (or so) early on the Wade Miller signing. Along with being early on the Renteria or Varitek deal (I can't remember exactly which one it was).

I'll bring this name up again, what about Mike MacDougal in KC? They probably don't have any reason to trade him because he is cheap, but I always thought he was a nice arm out of the pen. His numbers are good so far this year. I honestly don't know how much longer Schill will be pitching, he was getting zero push from his back leg yesterday, and he was fortunate enough to not have to face Sheff and Arod again in the 9th.

I'd be surprised if we package Delcarmen in any deal whatsoever, supposedly his stuff has been filthy in the ML. And has been compared (loosely) to KRod, I know it's premature, but if we could add an arm like that in September from our own system...It would be incredible.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #511
Rookie

OVR: 1

good night.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #512
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Tough break for you guys tonight. You kept fighting but Mo was vintage Mo and there's few anyone can do against that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »