Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #521
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

I was praying Mueller's ball would somehow hook around the pole and win the game, because I knew Cora was on deck. It was all too predictable after Mueller's hit dropped in.

I think you can put a little of the blame of this one on Theo. IMO, there's no room for both the Dalai Halama and Jeremi Gonzalez. You pick one, DFA the other, and bring Youkilis back up. You can't just have Olerud as the only non catcher PH option off the bench. I don't see why John Halama is on this team and Kevin Youkilis is not. Halama has no purpose for this roster, get rid of his corpse for a bat.

IMO, if Youks was up in that situation (or Olerud), there's less of a chance that he GIDP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #522
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I thought Cora was clearly safe at 1st from the replay, but what can you do?

Time to win some ball games and get on with the trade talks.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 PM   #523
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage
Ah, good point, the Sox barely bunt as it is.. but you gotta try the unexpected sometimes to win a game, especially against Rivera. It's possible the Yankees could've been caught offguard if Cora pushed it down the first base line, away from A-Rod and Rivera. Like you say, it would've had to be perfect.

Down the first base line would have been the only good shot, River would have had to field to get the runner out at home assuming he would have been sent on the pitch.

Still, Bellhorn's injury cost us tonight I believe
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-17-2005, 10:50 PM   #524
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
I was praying Mueller's ball would somehow hook around the pole and win the game, because I knew Cora was on deck. It was all too predictable after Mueller's hit dropped in.

I think you can put a little of the blame of this one on Theo. IMO, there's no room for both the Dalai Halama and Jeremi Gonzalez. You pick one, DFA the other, and bring Youkilis back up. You can't just have Olerud as the only non catcher PH option off the bench. I don't see why John Halama is on this team and Kevin Youkilis is not. Halama has no purpose for this roster, get rid of his corpse for a bat.

IMO, if Youks was up in that situation (or Olerud), there's less of a chance that he GIDP.

Agreed

Halama is puke garbage, same situation with Youks as it is with Bellhorn. He would K at worst, he doesn't ground into DPs with much frequency
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #525
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Down the first base line would have been the only good shot, River would have had to field to get the runner out at home assuming he would have been sent on the pitch.

Still, Bellhorn's injury cost us tonight I believe
I do say a bunt would've been a play to try because it's said that Cora has good speed. The only way I'd see a DP out of that is if he completely botches the bunt, which is possible since the Sox have barely bunted this season. Cora's not a guy I'd want swinging for a base hit, though. It was a tough situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #526
MVP

OVR: 14

I felt like crap, but I saw the ESPYs and the win over the Yanks last year and felt better.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #527
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage
I do say a bunt would've been a play to try because it's said that Cora has good speed. The only way I'd see a DP out of that is if he completely botches the bunt, which is possible since the Sox have barely bunted this season. Cora's not a guy I'd want swinging for a base hit, though. It was a tough situation.
So let's say he bunts and since he's quick they only get the out at home...

Now what? They aren't going to expect him to GIDP before the pitch so him bunting and them getting the out at home would've just been a wasted out instead of anything prodcutive such as a sac fly.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #528
MVP

OVR: 14

I was with my friends SCREAMING at Cora to do ANYTHING but hit into the DP, even K. I actually thought he should take every pitch with Damon on deck. But nope

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »