Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #633
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Congratulations to Manny Delcarmen on making it to the show.

Great kid, electric fastball, and one crazy curve to compliment. With all the rumors circulating the team right now, I really hope the callup is not to show him off for a trade. I think in a few years, Delcarmen could be one of the better relievers in the game. Very partial, but still.

Tom Verducci of SI said on WEEI that a potential package of Arroyo and Delcarmen could keep the Sox in the running for AJB. Do the Fish prefer a potential closer like Delcarmen to Anibal?

Who would you prefer to give up of the two if Burnett can be had without Lowell? My preference is Anibal, as Hansen and Delcarmen could be the Percival and K-Rod combo of the future IMO. With Lester and Papelbon, you have to think not all 3 could be in the rotation together...just ask the Mets when they had "Generation K" (Isringhausen, Wilson, Pulsipher).
Old 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #634
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Tom Verducci of SI said on WEEI that a potential package of Arroyo and Delcarmen could keep the Sox in the running for AJB. Do the Fish prefer a potential closer like Delcarmen to Anibal?

Who would you prefer to give up of the two if Burnett can be had without Lowell? My preference is Anibal, as Hansen and Delcarmen could be the Percival and K-Rod combo of the future IMO. With Lester and Papelbon, you have to think not all 3 could be in the rotation together...just ask the Mets when they had "Generation K" (Isringhausen, Wilson, Pulsipher).
I think the Marlins prefer Delcarmen because they were looking for a reliever in the deal (hence the Julio/O's offer), and Delcarmen could be MLB ready. They are looking for help this year and next and Anibal won't provide help for either.

As far as which deal I would take, tough decision but I'd rather keep Anibal. I like Delcarmen, but I'll take starting pitching every time if given that choice. It's a tough call though since both have pitched very well in their recent callups, Delcarmen in AAA and Sanchez in AA. All that being said, I have no clue since I've never seen either of them pitch.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #635
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos

As far as which deal I would take, tough decision but I'd rather keep Anibal. I like Delcarmen, but I'll take starting pitching every time if given that choice. It's a tough call though since both have pitched very well in their recent callups, Delcarmen in AAA and Sanchez in AA. All that being said, I have no clue since I've never seen either of them pitch.
Okay, nevermind the reports I've heard. Here are the pre season write ups on each from Baseball America (Sanchez rated 5th in system, Delcarmen 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball America
ANIBAL SANCHEZ, rhp Age: 21 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-0 Wt: 180 Signed: Venezuela, 2001 Signed by: Carlos Ramirez
Background: Sanchez pitched well for two seasons in the Rookie-level Venezuelan Summer League, then needed elbow surgery to transpose a nerve. After missing all of 2003, he came back in a huge way, leading the New York-Penn League in ERA and strikeouts and ranking as the circuit's top pitching prospect.

Strengths: Sanchez succeeded in Venezuela when he worked at 88-90 mph, and he dominated in 2004 when his velocity jumped to the mid-90s. His fastball is also notable for its movement and his ability to command it to both sides of the plate. Sanchez also has one of the better curveballs in the system, and his changeup shows flashes of becoming a plus pitch.

Weaknesses: With an electric arm and pitching savvy, Sanchez just needs more innings and continued good health. His curveball and changeup aren't totally reliable yet, but should improve as he gains more experience. He's not physically dominating, but he generates velocity with arm speed rather than extra effort.

The Future: Sanchez will move to full-season ball for the first time in 2005, pitching at Boston's new low Class A Capital City affiliate. He might not need much more than two more seasons in the minors.

MANNY DELCARMEN, rhp Age: 23 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-2 Wt: 190 Drafted: HS—Hyde Park, Mass., 2000 (2nd round) Signed by: Ray Fagnant Background: Delcarmen was headed for a breakthrough 2003 until he blew out his elbow throwing a changeup in his fourth outing of the season. He had Tommy John surgery that May and returned to the mound 12 months later.

Strengths: His arm strength already has come back, as Delcarmen threw 92-94 mph during the season and topped out at 97 in the Arizona Fall League. There's no consensus on who owns the best curveball among Boston farmhands, but Delcarmen gets the most support. His changeup improved after he switched grips in 2003. He throws a lot of strikes for a power pitcher.

Weaknesses: Delcarmen can make a claim to having the best pure stuff in the system, but he's still learning how to pitch. His curveball can be very good but it's also inconsistent. His fastball has more velocity than life and isn't always difficult to hit. Relearning his delivery after his surgery will take some more time.

The Future: Delcarmen should be at full strength in 2005, and the Red Sox would like to push him to Double-A. He can be unhittable in short stints, so his future may lie in the bullpen.

Manny's stats for the year.

Anibal's stats

Delcarmen's stats for AA may not look that impressive, but after he adjusted to the relief role, he was absolutley lights out.

Last edited by DuffysCliff; 07-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #636
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

If we do trade Delcarmen, I wouldn't mind spinning for Wagner and checking out AJB in the offseason. Lot's of heresay and tons of misinformed reporters, so who knows what's possible. Just get me to the deadline already!!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #637
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
If we do trade Delcarmen, I wouldn't mind spinning for Wagner and checking out AJB in the offseason. Lot's of heresay and tons of misinformed reporters, so who knows what's possible. Just get me to the deadline already!!
Seriously. I have a feeling if a deal does happen, it will be AJB staying in Boston or for players none of us have even considered.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #638
MVP

OVR: 15

Tom Veruducci is saying Manny requested a trade....okay

I don't really believe it, but even if he did, Manny has pretty much nowhere to go.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #639
MVP

OVR: 14

I really seriously doubt it. But like you said, he is going nowhere.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #640
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
My problem with Trot this year, and maybe it's because of his injury, is he doesn't know his limitations. Using that play last night as an example: The OF was already playing back so a ball didn't get over their head. If it was Damon, he probably would have caught it because he has great range. If it was Manny, he would've known that he had no chance at it and turned around to play it off the wall. Trot is more in the Manny category where he needs to understand his limitations and stop trying to get to balls he can't.
I have never thought of Nixon as a good OF. Like you said he puts a lot of effort out... but it seems like he tries to do too much when it would be better to just cut your losses and make the play you can make.

A good OF doesn't always have to be blessed with unbelievable skills... just a good head on his shoulders to know how to make do with the tools he has.

I wish there was a little more Nixon in Sheffield sometimes... but at least when he coasts to balls in the gap to play them off the wall, he isn't diving to make the play and giving up extra bases. The key is to find a successful medium.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »