Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #697
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I think it's legitimate criticism but saying they won the game in spite of Manny falls in the "stupid hatred" form in my book when he obviously contributed to the win. Maybe I'm just defensive from listening to him take a beating on WEEI all day, but people seem to have a big target on Manny where if it had been Ortiz, who would've done the same exact thing, he would've gotten a free pass.
Yea I know, If it wasnt for Manny the red sox wouldnt have won the game. I mean if Manny decides to take a nap in left field because mannys tired so be it as long as he keeps on being a rbi machine ill be happy.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #698
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
How can you excuse any player for not running hard to 1st base? In the 10th inning of a tie game? He literally WALKED down the line! I think John Olerud might have beat him in a race to 1st there.

Manny isn't some kind of sacred cow, he can be legitimately criticized in a separate manner from stupid hatred such as "he's a lazy dimwit".

I don't think Manny's lack of hustle was because of lack of caring, I think it was pretty clear that he was frustrated. After his third strikeout he kind of twirled his bat around and dropped it, looking like he didn't know what to do with himself, and Manny never really shows that much emotion. When he realized he had just grounded into a double play after strikeout out 3 times, one of the times being on a bad call, also with news spreading that he wanted out, well I think he gave up on himself.

Then again, he may have just not cared, but I don't think thats why.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #699
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Anyone see Youk's numbers from the PawSox doubleheader yesterday?

5-10, 5 doubles, 4 runs, 3 RBI. He's now batting .341 for Pawtucket.

Papelbon pitched 5 innings allowing 4 hits and 1 run while striking out 8.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #700
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Anyone see Youk's numbers from the PawSox doubleheader yesterday?

5-10, 5 doubles, 4 runs, 3 RBI. He's now batting .341 for Pawtucket.

Papelbon pitched 5 innings allowing 4 hits and 1 run while striking out 8.
I am telling you, I am so pumped up about our next generation of Sox players it is disgusting.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #701
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
I'm aware of the slight difference in current talent between the two, but how can you like a guy getting paid more money than you can ever imagine that just dogs it and acts like he doesn't care. It just seems like a waste of talent when he acts like that and it makes it hard to root for a guy you feel doesn't care as much as someone else.

Obviously he's not the only one who does this, but he makes it extremely obvious and he should be taking a leadership role on the team as a veteran but I don't think you want a guy that won't run 90 feet to help his team out to by your leader.

But thats just my two cents.
Slight difference in talent?

Manny is currently .275/.371/.576. More importnatly he has 28 HR and 92 RBI.

Brown is 4-7 with a 6.50 ERA. That is hardly justifiable fo a Major League ropster spot, forget a roster spot on a 200 million dollar team

Obviously he is a lazy guy at times, but he is paid to hit. He shoulda ran out that ground ball and I was upset he didnt. But he is paid to hit. If 'Tek didn't do it it would be different because he is paid to eb the Captain of the team. If Mueller didn't do it it would be different because his stats aren't nearly as great. But when you are the best right-handed hitter in baseball over the last 6 or so years and a World Series MVP, he can do it every now and then without Sox Nation hating him. We all understand Manny isn't like other players, he simply doesnt care. He loves having fun and loves to hit, and does both better than almost any guy in the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #702
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Interesting lineup today

Damon CF
Renteria SS
Ortiz DH
Olerud 1B
Mueller 3B
Millar LF
Mirabelli C
Cora 2B
Stern RF

Apparently Manny was supposed to get a day off in Chicago but Tito told him today would be better. Tito then went to Manny last night and said they were in a bind but Manny still said he wanted the day off.

Not sure what to make of this. It seems like Manny is pretty frustrated right now so maybe it's for the best.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #703
MVP

Now this kinda thing, again while I am not totally furious, is stupid. I won't care about it 3 days from now, but plug Manny into the DH spot. If he wants his day off, Tito has the right and should be saying, no you are playing today. He does need a day off, I will admit, because he never gets one and constantly is playing LF. And maybe this is a good day to give him one, I really don't see their 'bind'. But that isn't the point, the point is Manny should play if Tito says we need him to. Maybe we should give him one at home against Minnesota becuase then 'tek can hit third and Ortiz can do clean-up. Hitting Olerud cleanup here is ridiculous.

But this is for all the Manny haters out there, especially in Sox nation. Look, our lineup goes from arguably the best in the league to a second-tier lineup at best. Granted, Nixon is injured, but if we traded Manny and all this happened, look at our lineup.

I have no doubt that this will all blow over within 6 days.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #704
MVP

Quote:
Interesting lineup today

Damon CF
Renteria SS
Ortiz DH
Olerud 1B
Mueller 3B
Millar LF
Mirabelli C
Cora 2B
Stern RF

Apparently Manny was supposed to get a day off in Chicago but Tito told him today would be better. Tito then went to Manny last night and said they were in a bind but Manny still said he wanted the day off.

Not sure what to make of this. It seems like Manny is pretty frustrated right now so maybe it's for the best.
In regards to the lineup, it is nice to see Stern get a start here, but bat Millar cleanup, Olerud after him, then Mueller. We need a more powerful middle of the order here,, maybe even bat Stern leadoff and Damon 3rd which could move Ortiz to clean up. Good thing we are facing Joe Schmoe today.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »