Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #705
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

I guess vs. TB is probably the best time to sit Manny, when you think about opponent wise.

But Chill was right, Manny shouldn't be dictating when he plays and when he doesn't. Oh well, Manny will be Manny. I just hope he really isn't disgruntled and starts causing trouble in the clubhouse.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #706
All Star

OVR: 25

Nice to see Wake have a strong outing like that. Too bad some horrendous thunderstorms took out the power in my area halfway through the game.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:40 AM   #707
Rookie

OVR: 4

With Trot being on the DL and probably out for at least 6 weeks, I think the sox should go get Jose Cruz Jr. from Arizona. I believe i read on the espn board he was designated for assignment. With Kapler not being able to come back till next week, the sox can play Hyzdu and Stern. When Kapler arrives you can have Cruz Jr and Kapler platoon.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #708
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Kapler's actually back this weekend. And is Jose Cruz. a lefty? If he is then yes, I can imagine the Sox going after him. If he's not they wont, because they want a lefty OF.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #709
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

I hate to bring up the Manny BS again, but one of the more interesting lines I've read in a while came from jacklamabe65 on SoSH. He essentially said that people who give Ramirez a free pass are the same ones who go out of their way to praise how Belichick doesn't let anybody put themselves over the team, and how no one player is more important than the team.

Ramirez included, is not above the team, however much he is being paid. His action on Tuesday night (walking to 1st in the 10th) and refusing to step up yesterday were absolutely pathetic. I'm one of Ramirez' biggest supporters, but it is impossible to create excuses for him this time around.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #710
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Ramirez included, is not above the team, however much he is being paid. His action on Tuesday night (walking to 1st in the 10th) and refusing to step up yesterday were absolutely pathetic. I'm one of Ramirez' biggest supporters, but it is impossible to create excuses for him this time around.
Obviously he deserves criticism, but this is nothing new for Manny. The thing that concerns me more is why these incidents are happening. Him supposedly asking for a trade, walking to first base and not playing yesterday all happened in a short period of time.

Here are some comments I found on the trade talk, just to add to this discussion:

As for the Sports Illustrated item insinuating that the proud papa is unhappy in Boston and wants out, Juliana had this to say: ''Manny hasn't told me anything about that. As a family, we love Boston and love living here."

''What does he want, his own clubhouse?" said David Ortiz. ''You think if Manny wanted to be traded only one reporter in Boston would know? Manny isn't unhappy. If he was unhappy, we all would know."

However:

Lucchino did seem to confirm that he asked for a trade on Dennis and Callahan this morning. He also confirmed that Manny's concerns have nothing to do with the team, but instead are based on off the field privacy issues.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #711
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Obviously he deserves criticism, but this is nothing new for Manny. The thing that concerns me more is why these incidents are happening. Him supposedly asking for a trade, walking to first base and not playing yesterday all happened in a short period of time.

Here are some comments I found on the trade talk, just to add to this discussion:

As for the Sports Illustrated item insinuating that the proud papa is unhappy in Boston and wants out, Juliana had this to say: ''Manny hasn't told me anything about that. As a family, we love Boston and love living here."

''What does he want, his own clubhouse?" said David Ortiz. ''You think if Manny wanted to be traded only one reporter in Boston would know? Manny isn't unhappy. If he was unhappy, we all would know."

However:

Lucchino did seem to confirm that he asked for a trade on Dennis and Callahan this morning. He also confirmed that Manny's concerns have nothing to do with the team, but instead are based on off the field privacy issues.

I see how some people would be upset with Manny sitting in that last game, but again, with or without Trot Nixon, it was a July game vs. the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

He agreed to play vs. the White Sox when he thought he was going to have some time off during that series. Granted it's their job to play, but nobody was calling Manny a "hero" then because of playing when he was all but promised time off.

Now when he feels that he really needs the day off, and doesn't want to play, he gets dragged through the mud. I'd have more of a beef if this was vs. a different team, or at more crucial part of the year (I know every game counts but it was vs. the D-Rays!).

I also chock some it up to "Manny being Manny", I don't think he fully understood what all was happening with Nixon going to the DL, and all that mess. Like it's been stated before, he seems live in his own little world, not saying he isn't concerned with what happens with the team, he just doesn't keep up with every roster move. I don't think so at least...

I'll take a recharged Manny vs. the Twins then a tired Manny who still played in a game vs. the Devil Rays, that we still won without him.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #712
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
I see how some people would be upset with Manny sitting in that last game, but again, with or without Trot Nixon, it was a July game vs. the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

He agreed to play vs. the White Sox when he thought he was going to have some time off during that series. Granted it's their job to play, but nobody was calling Manny a "hero" then because of playing when he was all but promised time off.

Now when he feels that he really needs the day off, and doesn't want to play, he gets dragged through the mud. I'd have more of a beef if this was vs. a different team, or at more crucial part of the year (I know every game counts but it was vs. the D-Rays!).

I also chock some it up to "Manny being Manny", I don't think he fully understood what all was happening with Nixon going to the DL, and all that mess. Like it's been stated before, he seems live in his own little world, not saying he isn't concerned with what happens with the team, he just doesn't keep up with every roster move. I don't think so at least...

I'll take a recharged Manny vs. the Twins then a tired Manny who still played in a game vs. the Devil Rays, that we still won without him.
I completely agree. Manny has played in 95 games, tied with Damon for 2nd on the team behind Ortiz. People are saying he let his team down because Nixon was injured but Nixon could be out for 4 weeks. Does that mean Manny can't take a day off that entire time either? Even without Trot, they had 4 outfielders last night, not counting Millar. They were playing the team with the worst record in baseball with a pitcher, Wakefield, who absolutely dominates them. It was a perfect day for Manny to take off but is getting blown out of proportion because it comes on the heels of his "trade request" and not running out a ground ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »