Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #745
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

delivers big in that pinch hit.Thnk god manny is still here.i'm happy to see Fenway gave him that ovation

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #746
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllstr876
delivers big in that pinch hit.Thnk god manny is still here.i'm happy to see Fenway gave him that ovation
I love it:

"It's just Manny being Manny man" - said by Manny after the game.

The announcer then went on to say: "I've heard a lot of people say it, but that's the first time I've ever heard it from Manny."
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #747
All Star

OVR: 25

Talk about your Fenway drama. We have one of the top pitching prospects in the system start his career with back to back strikeouts and exit in the 6th to a huge ovation from the crowd. Then you have the whole Manny fiasco which took on two forms. You get Olerud filling in nicely while doing his best Manny impression by following Ortiz's solo homer with one of his own. Then he tweaks the hammy only to have Manny pitch hit in his spot in the 8th to drive in the winning run, to a huge ovation from the Fenway crowd. And all of this set to the back drop of the trade deadline where, surprisingly, nothing happened.

I like this team, and I like seeing the young guys getting a chance. I'm actually a little dissapointed with the Cruz Jr. deal because it might mean the end for Stern, who seems like a better player (or could end up being a better player) than Cruz. The bullpen is still an issue, but Bradford has looked okay so far and Delcarmen could help them out. Romero would have been a nice addition, but Mueller is playing an oustanding third base right now and it certainly doesn't hurt the Red Sox to have him around. If Schilling can make a smooth transition back into the rotation and Foulke can come back strong, this team should be well equiped to defend their title.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #748
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
"Manny's back, and he's back big!"

Fenway went nuts the second this guy came out of the dugout, and I'm loving this moment right now.

The saga is behind us. No one can encapsulate the whole drama, who knows what miscommunications went down. The bottom line: we need Manny, and that moment just healed just about everything. Game on, there's nothing to see here!
Couldn't have said it better. It's amazing what a difference 2 days makes. There was no doubt this was a better team with Manny in the lineup. What many people didn't understand was that taking Manny out of your linuep also takes Ortiz out, as evidenced by his 5 walks on Sat. and Sun.

As for the trade deadline, I think the best move for the Red Sox was exactly what they did, not making a move. The price was simply too high for what they needed. Luckily there are options in the minor leagues to help out our pitching staff.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #749
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Papelbon was optioned back to AAA for Jose Cruz Jr. Too bad he didn't get another opportunity to pitch, but they didn't really have a choice.

They're also saying he'll pitch out of the bullpen for Pawtucket, which makes sense since he'll probably finish the year in our bullpen.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:41 PM   #750
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Papelbon was optioned back to AAA for Jose Cruz Jr. Too bad he didn't get another opportunity to pitch, but they didn't really have a choice.

They're also saying he'll pitch out of the bullpen for Pawtucket, which makes sense since he'll probably finish the year in our bullpen.
I'd rather have Jose Cruz right now, because with Miller and Clement healthy again, we need an OF more than another SP. I'm glad he had good success though, really shows that we have some good talent coming up in the next few years.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #751
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
I'd rather have Jose Cruz right now, because with Miller and Clement healthy again, we need an OF more than another SP. I'm glad he had good success though, really shows that we have some good talent coming up in the next few years.
I agree. There's no reason to carry 12 pitchers and we needed a LH bat to replace Trot. Sounds like Cruz will start tonight as well.

I almost thought they'd DL Miller retroactive to his last start, to give him some more time and get Papelbon another start. I'm glad to know that Miller is healthy though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #752
All Star

OVR: 25

Papelbon pitched well in his one start, but clearly he needs some more seasoning before he will be a consistent big league pitcher (and he pitched well against a lineup held to just 2 hits against Joe Blanton). He should be in Triple A right now strengthening his command on his off speed pitches to prepare for the big leagues.

At any rate, I don't see Cruz having much success anyways with the Red Sox and his stay could be brief, meaning either another outfielder gets a shot or Papelbon gets recalled (or maybe Youk) before the month is through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »