Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #777
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
He certainly isn't playing like a gold glover. He's gone once Olerud is healthy. We simply don't have the roster space to carry 3 1B's.
Well right now it's looking like Millar is our RF when we're up against a RHP while Petagine is at first. With a lefty, it's Kapler in right, with Millar at first. Nixon is still going to be on the DL when Olerud is back, so maybe the corresponding move is we put someone like Mueller on the DL, as we have Youkilis to fill in for him. I really think that Petagine is our best first base option.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #778
All Star

OVR: 25

How about Tony Graffanino?! Looks like Bellhorn will be spending the rest of the season flailing at Triple A pitching.

I'd prefer to see Kapler on the bench and Petagine at first for at least the majority of the homestand. If Petagine doesn't get it going at the plate, then put Millar back in at first. Millar is just such a terrible right fielder its going to cost them some games if they keep sending him out there.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #779
MVP

OVR: 14

No way about Petagine. This guy has not proved he can hit in the majors and still hasnt shown his gold-glove caliber first base.
Even if he has the good glove eventually, I dont see it being better than Olerud, and Olerud was heating up when he got hurt too.

But how about the important stuff. I am starting a Tony Graffinino for President campaign . What a move by Theo, this kid has been the second basemen we've needed for years (so far). Bellhorn had the power numbers last year and has some clutch hits, but was far too inconsistent, and this year he plain sucks. Graffinino plays with hustle, he's humble, and is a perfect fit with a team of grinders (except Manny). Mueller, Nixon, 'Tek, Graffinino, Damon, Schilling, Wakfield, they all put up good numbers and some put up super numbers, but what makes them so valuable is their determination and grit.

So anyways, Tony G. for Pres!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #780
All Star

The Sox have aquired Mike Remlinger for Olivo Astacio. I would assume this means Delcarmen is on his way back to Pawtucket, which is probably where he should be right now.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #781
Pro

APD0290's Arena

OVR: 7

This is such a small sample size you're basing Petagine off of. In his last season at Cincy he had an .873 OPS in 62 AB, and had an OPS of >1.000 in 5 of his 6 seasons in Japan. I'll take 6 seasons in Japan over his first 12 at-bats facing major league pitching in 6 years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #782
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD0290
This is such a small sample size you're basing Petagine off of. In his last season at Cincy he had an .873 OPS in 62 AB, and had an OPS of >1.000 in 5 of his 6 seasons in Japan. I'll take 6 seasons in Japan over his first 12 at-bats facing major league pitching in 6 years
True, but I'm not sure Petagine will get much more of a chance. His problem has been in the field, not at the plate. With Olerud coming off the DL soon there just isn't room for Petagine. Olerud has been solid at the plate and is one of the better fielding 1B's in the league. I'll take his veteran prescence over Petagine any day. Remember, there's a reason Petagine was playing in Japan and not in MLB.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #783
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Sox get Mike Remlinger and some cash for the stretch for minor league pitching prospect Olivo Astacio. Great pickup IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2129718
Old 08-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #784
All Star

Ugly game tonight. By the 10th inning when Renteria was at the plate I was so sick of looking at him, thankfully he delivered, with some help from the homeplate ump (Grybowski was being squeezed big time that inning, maybe he wanted the Sox to win so he could go home?). That walk off hit will keep the boo birds off his back another day.

Terrible debut from Remlinger. I'm expecting him to be a solid arm out of the pen, but after watching him I don't know. He just couldn't put hitters away. He looked like a pitcher at the end of his career.

As for the positives, Clement pitched very well. If not for a Renteria error and a brain cramp on Clement's part, he could have held the Rangers scoreless. The Red Sox need him to pitch like this down the stretch and into the playoffs. Petagine also continued to hit well, as did the rest of the offense really. Schilling also looked pretty good in relief, his splitter and fastball appear to be getting more consistent with each outing.

Hopefully the Sox beat up on Rogers tomorrow and Arroyo bounces back after a poor outing in Minnesota.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »