Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #785
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Ugly game tonight. By the 10th inning when Renteria was at the plate I was so sick of looking at him, thankfully he delivered, with some help from the homeplate ump (Grybowski was being squeezed big time that inning, maybe he wanted the Sox to win so he could go home?). That walk off hit will keep the boo birds off his back another day.
This is a pretty sad statement about the current state of fans of the Red Sox. You're pretty much right as well; I guarantee you he will get booed soon enough, because Red Sox fans are the biggest frontrunning, what have you done for me lately, *******s I think I've ever seen. These people are honestly sick in the head. Even Yankee fans wouldn't turn on you like a Boston crowd does..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #786
All Star

OVR: 25

Eh, I don't agree with booing your own guy but I'd understand if some people wanted to boo Renteria at times last night. He was billed as a gold glove shortstop but is leading the league in errors and botched two easy plays last night that nearly cost them the game.

I was at Opening Day a couple years ago when they booed Pedro. Thats the only time I can ever recall wishing I wasn't at Fenway during a game. I was embarrassed to be a part of that crowd.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #787
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
He was billed as a gold glove shortstop but is leading the league in errors and botched two easy plays last night that nearly cost them the game.
In fairness to Edgar, it really looked like he lost the ball during the transfer on the second one. Still, he should've turned over the double play. I also think he'd have a few less errors if Kevin Millar wasn't our regular 1B.

In any case, I'll still take Edgar over any of the other options we had at SS such as Orlando Cabrera, Pokey Reese, etc. His bat outweighs the upgrade in defense we'd get from either of those two.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #788
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Even Yankee fans wouldn't turn on you like a Boston crowd does..
The same Yankee fans that booed Jeter last year and booed Rivera this year?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #789
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
The same Yankee fans that booed Jeter last year and booed Rivera this year?

Exactly, that's about a thousand times worse. Booing the hell outta the two cornerstones of your old dynasty that brought you four World Championships. That's just brutal. At least it lit a fire under Mo's butt though.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #790
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Exactly, that's about a thousand times worse. Booing the hell outta the two cornerstones of your old dynasty that brought you four World Championships. That's just brutal. At least it lit a fire under Mo's butt though.
I still laugh about how he got a standing ovation on opening day in Fenway. Rivera took it very well, laughing and waving to the crowd. He is truly a class act.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #791
All Star

OVR: 25

I'm not saying Renteria is crap, just that I understand where the average fan is coming from. They see the Red Sox and only the Red Sox and thought Renteria was an upgrade over Cabrera (which he is). Cabrera has a bit of a hallowed image with the average fan in Boston which is why Edgar is held to a high standard. I'm just hoping he sures up his defense for the stretch run. As it stands, when he goes to the backhand I cringe a little. And I agree about the Millar thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #792
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I'm not saying Renteria is crap, just that I understand where the average fan is coming from. They see the Red Sox and only the Red Sox and thought Renteria was an upgrade over Cabrera (which he is). Cabrera has a bit of a hallowed image with the average fan in Boston which is why Edgar is held to a high standard. I'm just hoping he sures up his defense for the stretch run. As it stands, when he goes to the backhand I cringe a little. And I agree about the Millar thing.
Anybody who thinks in this manner, then proceeds to voice displeasure based on this thinking, and claim to be justified in their actions (I'm not pointing the finger at you here, just fans in general mind you) honestly has their head shoved very far up their ***. This is the same type of person who whines about why we signed Jay Payton and let Dave Roberts sign with the Padres.

I've heard the argument from ***-clowns about how they should have re-signed Cabrera, claiming he's better than Renteria, even though Renteria is far superior in almost every offensive category in 2005. I don't consider Renteria as some kind of deity, nobody with an AAV on their contract of $10M should hit mediocre vs RHP IMO, but he's certainly far from a poor or even mediocre player at SS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »