Home

Old 07-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #825
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: The 2006 New York Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
In this same light, Torre I think is definitly going to start RJ Game 1 of the playoffs (assuming we get there) although Mussina is clearly the superior pitcher because "they traded for Johnson to be their ace".
I doubt that. Moose would start because it's not like hes going against the veteran for a young guy like Wang. He's choosing between veterans and Moose has clearly been our ace.

As for Randy he's been pitching pretty good lately besides this start so hopefully its just one bad start and then back on track. As a number 3 starter Randy is still pretty solid.
Rangers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #826
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
There's no question about it anymore. He's old. Thats what happens when you get old. He's got #3 ability in an ace's spot but the bad thing is, my biggest knock against Torre is that he insists on keeping guys in roles that they aren't supposed to be in just because "thats what they are." For instance, Wright should've started this season in the bullpen and Small shouldve been in the rotation (this is before we knew Small would suck again) but he kept Wright in the rotation despite a terrible spring because "he was signed to start" and Small was signed to relieve even though Small pitched 1000x better than Wright the previous year.

In this same light, Torre I think is definitly going to start RJ Game 1 of the playoffs (assuming we get there) although Mussina is clearly the superior pitcher because "they traded for Johnson to be their ace".

Anyways I hope we can go on a run after this game like we did after Cleveland shellacked us.

I hear ya, but wasn't Kevin Brown also acquired to be an ace of their staff and he was banished to fourth starter in the playoffs in 2004. Granted he did break his non-pitching hand first. Assuming Wang finishes the year with an ERA betwenn 3.80 and 4.50 he should be their number 2 starter, and hopefully Torre has the sense to do that. Randy Johnson's ERA is up over 5 now which isn't even good for a third starter, or really any starter. Though this could all be moot if the Yankees don't make the playoffs. Detroit is really the only lock at this point in the AL and there's a lot of baseball to be played.

The Yankees always seem to rebound from these blowouts, I'd put money on them winning tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #827
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
I hear ya, but wasn't Kevin Brown also acquired to be an ace of their staff and he was banished to fourth starter in the playoffs in 2004. Granted he did break his non-pitching hand first. Assuming Wang finishes the year with an ERA betwenn 3.80 and 4.50 he should be their number 2 starter, and hopefully Torre has the sense to do that. Randy Johnson's ERA is up over 5 now which isn't even good for a third starter, or really any starter. Though this could all be moot if the Yankees don't make the playoffs. Detroit is really the only lock at this point in the AL and there's a lot of baseball to be played.

The Yankees always seem to rebound from these blowouts, I'd put money on them winning tomorrow.
I prefer wiping the whole Kevin Brown era from my mind, but from what i remember when we signed him, there wasnt that sense of excitement in NY like we just signed an ace. He was at a later stage in his career than RJ where he was 3-4 years removed from dominance while Randy was just 1 so I think we thought we were just getting a quality veteran.

And oh how wrong we were.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #828
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
I prefer wiping the whole Kevin Brown era from my mind, but from what i remember when we signed him, there wasnt that sense of excitement in NY like we just signed an ace. He was at a later stage in his career than RJ where he was 3-4 years removed from dominance while Randy was just 1 so I think we thought we were just getting a quality veteran.

And oh how wrong we were.
What about Roger Clemens first year as a Yankee in 99. He struggled, and in the playoffs Torre pitched him in a game 3, a game 3, and a game 4.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #829
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
What about Roger Clemens first year as a Yankee in 99. He struggled, and in the playoffs Torre pitched him in a game 3, a game 3, and a game 4.
Good point... but what I forgot to say before was that maybe it'd be better if RJ pitched earlier in the series seeing as how Game 3 is usually the most important game as (in the first round), it can win you a sweep, prevent you from being swept, or break a 1-1 tie in your favor.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #830
All Star

OVR: 25

It is important, but everygame is in a 5 game series, but you still put your two best first so they have a chance of pitching again in the series. Granted it seems like no one uses a 3 man rotation anymore in the playoffs.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #831
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Wow, Cashman is on the fan right now, and he was KILLING Russo.

I don't think he's ever been that fired up before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #832
MVP

OVR: 10

Great trade deadline for us. Wilson for Chacon was an absolute steal, along with Abreu and Lidle. Not to mention the rest of the calvary that could be coming hopefully soon - Cano, Matsui, Dotel, Sheffield, and maybe even Pavano thats one BIG haul.
Rangers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »