Home

The 2006 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on The 2006 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #849
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The 2006 New York Yankees

I am glad you guys are confident because I am not sold on this team yet. When we get into the playoffs, which by no means is a given, can our pitching be effective enough in a short series? If not can the bats overcome the pitching's shortcommings? I just dont think they can. Seen this too many times in my life. And I will say it again, I still dont think the Yanks will win another WS until Cash and George decide to let the farm system build itself up again. There have been just too many similarities to this era as to the 82-93 years. Some of you may not have been alive or just very young but those years were not too good. Always trading away our best prospects for overpaid, overrates players. I mean Danny Tartabull and Steve "BYE BYE" Balboni just to name a few. I just cant let myself get my hopes up, that way if they crasy again, its easier to handle.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #850
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak
I am glad you guys are confident because I am not sold on this team yet. When we get into the playoffs, which by no means is a given, can our pitching be effective enough in a short series? If not can the bats overcome the pitching's shortcommings? I just dont think they can. Seen this too many times in my life. And I will say it again, I still dont think the Yanks will win another WS until Cash and George decide to let the farm system build itself up again. There have been just too many similarities to this era as to the 82-93 years. Some of you may not have been alive or just very young but those years were not too good. Always trading away our best prospects for overpaid, overrates players. I mean Danny Tartabull and Steve "BYE BYE" Balboni just to name a few. I just cant let myself get my hopes up, that way if they crasy again, its easier to handle.
Our pitching isn't that bad.

Mussina has been an ace this year. Wang has been very good as well. Johnson has been ok since his early struggles. Occasionally he'll have a day when he has nothing, but he's been pretty good in 8 of his last 10 starts. Not terrible for a 3rd starter. 4th starter is a bigger question mark, but maybe Lidle can help us there, and if not Wright is usually good enough to keep you in the game for 5 innings. What teams have much better pitching than that? Twins are a definite. Tigers are too, but who knows how their young guys will do in the post season. I think our pitching matches up pretty well with the rest of the playoff contenders.

I don't think there's any team out there that doesn't have a lot of question marks this year.

As for the 2nd part of your post, we have an all star 2nd baseman from the farm system, and a solid #2-#3 starter for years to come, both from last year. Melky has come up this year and done a good job. We have one of, if not the best pitching prospects in baseball in Hughes. Farm system isn't great, but it's getting better.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #851
MVP

OVR: 14

Another damn fight to the finish with the Skankees this year, but I didn't expect anything less.

I can't wait til that 5 games/4 days series later on this month, it almost feels like the next couple weeks are simply leading up to that series, seeing who will have an advantage in the standings when that huge series starts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #852
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
Another damn fight to the finish with the Skankees this year, but I didn't expect anything less.

I can't wait til that 5 games/4 days series later on this month, it almost feels like the next couple weeks are simply leading up to that series, seeing who will have an advantage in the standings when that huge series starts.
That's real mature.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #853
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
That's real mature.
What the hell are you talking about? I have as much respect for the Yanks as any Sox fan on these boards dude, doesn't mean I still can't hate on themplaying around.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #854
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
That's real mature.
He was just kidding around...relax man.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #855
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Our pitching isn't that bad.

Mussina has been an ace this year. Wang has been very good as well. Johnson has been ok since his early struggles. Occasionally he'll have a day when he has nothing, but he's been pretty good in 8 of his last 10 starts. Not terrible for a 3rd starter. 4th starter is a bigger question mark, but maybe Lidle can help us there, and if not Wright is usually good enough to keep you in the game for 5 innings. What teams have much better pitching than that? Twins are a definite. Tigers are too, but who knows how their young guys will do in the post season. I think our pitching matches up pretty well with the rest of the playoff contenders.

I don't think there's any team out there that doesn't have a lot of question marks this year.

As for the 2nd part of your post, we have an all star 2nd baseman from the farm system, and a solid #2-#3 starter for years to come, both from last year. Melky has come up this year and done a good job. We have one of, if not the best pitching prospects in baseball in Hughes. Farm system isn't great, but it's getting better.

Every team has issues going into the playoffs. I'd say the Yankees and Red Sox are behind in starting pitching which makes me think the eventual AL Penant Winner won't be from the East. Both the Sox and Yanks can boast of aces in Curt Schilling and Mike Mussina but after that it gets real sketchy. The good teams have pounded Beckett and come playoff time only good teams remain. Wang is in an impressive run at the moment but its one that has just as much to do with luck as skill. He's walked more guys than he's struck out over the last month+ and is basically relying totally on his defense. It is a very fine line he treads and one has to think that eventually the ground balls will start finding holes. Behind both team's top 2 guys, no one stands out. Randy Johnson seems content to have a 5+ ERA and the Sox can't bank on rookie Jon Lester pitching as well in the playoffs as he has during the regular season. The one thing the Red Sox can hope for is that previous postseason heroes David Wells and Tim Wakefield can get it going for October while the Yankees are left to hope Lidle can pull a Small/Chacon.

The A's have just as many issues in their rotation so long as Harden remains on the DL. The Angels though feature a tough 1-2-3 with Lackey, Escobar, and Santana. Of course everyone knows about the two-headed monster in Minnesota, but don't forget about Bonderman, Verlander, and Rogers in Detroit which is also a very good 1-2-3. The White Sox are probably the only team that I'd put behind the Red Sox and Yankees as far as rotation goes. No one in that rotation has been able to pitch consistently all year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #856
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Wang is in an impressive run at the moment but its one that has just as much to do with luck as skill. He's walked more guys than he's struck out over the last month+ and is basically relying totally on his defense. It is a very fine line he treads and one has to think that eventually the ground balls will start finding holes.
We've been hearing that the last 2 years, and he's only been getting better. It doesn't look like that "luck" will run out anytime soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »