Home

The 2006 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on The 2006 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #1145

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The 2006 New York Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
LMAO at me being the reason Yankee fans get bad raps.

Get a clue.

Please tell me why Sheff is CLEARLY better than Melky. This isn't 2000 anymore. Sheffield isn't the beast you're making him out to be. He's a good player, but he's declining. His defense isn't as good as Melky's, so why sacrifice that? We've got plenty of pop in the lineup already.
According to a fielding study that the "Baseball Bible" conducted... Gary Sheffield is the worst fielding Right Fielder in the Major Leagues... and Melky has a fantastic arm... the difference in defense here is light years... I agree with you Jets and Eli... Melky should continue to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #1146
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
Sheff > Melky

it's that simple. Why do we not need one of the most fearsome RH hitters in the game?
Individually yes, it's not even close. Sheff is a thousand times the hitter Melky will ever be. At this point in his career, Melky is a better fielder. Melky is also a contact hitter which is something we need in this lineup. We won four WS titles in the 90's when only Tino hit over 40 dingers in a season. Besides that we had a buncha contact-first hitters.

Since '01, we have tons of fearsome homerun hitters and zero rings. Obviously the pitching isn't what it was in the 90's either, but we need balance in our lineup, guys who will simply put the ball in play. Not seven guys who will crush 35+ homers, but will also strike out/pop out when all we need is for them to move the runner over.

I like the chemistry the team has with Melky in the lineup. We have guys like Matsui, Giambi, and A-Rod for our power hitting sluggers. We don't need 1-9 with just power hitters. I think it's no coincidence (if you look back in this thread to early May you'll even see my post about it) that the Yankees have had such a great season because they've gone back to their offensive style of the 90's. Tons of patience at the plate, lots of walks, and small ball with a few timely homers. I predicted in May that when Matsui and Sheff went down with long term injuries that our team would be better off in the long run because it would force us to play small ball for the first time in five years.

Just my opinion, obviously you can't argue with someone who wants a hitter of Sheff's caliber back in the lineup, but I don't think it'll hurt us if we doesn't come back.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #1147
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Individually yes, it's not even close. Sheff is a thousand times the hitter Melky will ever be. At this point in his career, Melky is a better fielder. Melky is also a contact hitter which is something we need in this lineup. We won four WS titles in the 90's when only Tino hit over 40 dingers in a season. Besides that we had a buncha contact-first hitters.

Since '01, we have tons of fearsome homerun hitters and zero rings. Obviously the pitching isn't what it was in the 90's either, but we need balance in our lineup, guys who will simply put the ball in play. Not seven guys who will crush 35+ homers, but will also strike out/pop out when all we need is for them to move the runner over.

I like the chemistry the team has with Melky in the lineup. We have guys like Matsui, Giambi, and A-Rod for our power hitting sluggers. We don't need 1-9 with just power hitters. I think it's no coincidence (if you look back in this thread to early May you'll even see my post about it) that the Yankees have had such a great season because they've gone back to their offensive style of the 90's. Tons of patience at the plate, lots of walks, and small ball with a few timely homers. I predicted in May that when Matsui and Sheff went down with long term injuries that our team would be better off in the long run because it would force us to play small ball for the first time in five years.

Just my opinion, obviously you can't argue with someone who wants a hitter of Sheff's caliber back in the lineup, but I don't think it'll hurt us if we doesn't come back.

yankees have been working counts since 1996. they haven't stopped. the reason why they haven't done well in the past couple years in the postseason can be attributed to this

#1) ****ty CF defense
#2) too many automatic outs in the lineup (Bernie, Tino/Sierra last year.. and that Posada didn't really have a stellar year either
#3) starters do not go deep
#4) starters do not pitch well

i bet if melky wasn't a yankee farm hand, and believe me, I love melky, nobody would want him to play. if a 33 guy year old with the same skillset as Melky was out there, they would want Sheff over him

small ball is the stupidest idea ever. small ball = giving away outs. you don't give away outs with this lineup. ever. you remember the teams that used to win championships? They NEVER used to score.. they used to rely on pitching and the bullpen
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #1148
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Magic number down to 7.

Hopefully we can wrap this thing up this weekend vs. Boston.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #1149
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
small ball is the stupidest idea ever. small ball = giving away outs. you don't give away outs with this lineup. ever. you remember the teams that used to win championships? They NEVER used to score.. they used to rely on pitching and the bullpen
Those teams never used to score?

AL Rankings

1997:
2nd in runs scored
1998: 1st in runs scored
1999: 3rd in runs scored
2000: 6th in runs scored (we had that awful Sept)

Small ball is stupid? Do you think it's some random conicidence that the last three WS winners (besides the Red Sox because their offense was idiotic in '04) are eerily remeniscent to the Yankee teams of the late 90's?

The Angels, Marlins and White Sox - watching those teams reminded me an awful lot of those Yankee teams.

When you get to the post season you face such good pitching that you can't just sit back and wait for your big guns to hit homers. That's how the Yankees survived the last four years because you can do that in the regular season because of all the mediocore pitching. That's why we get to the post season and then lose. Once you get to the post season that doesn't fly. And the starting pitching hasn't been that bad in the post season outside of the '04 ALCS. In the 2003 WS the Marlins hit .232 and beat us 4-2. Their OBP was only .282.

That's why you see players even as hot as Jeter and Abreu bunting this year.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #1150
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Those teams never used to score?

AL Rankings

1997:
2nd in runs scored
1998: 1st in runs scored
1999: 3rd in runs scored
2000: 6th in runs scored (we had that awful Sept)

Small ball is stupid? Do you think it's some random conicidence that the last three WS winners (besides the Red Sox because their offense was idiotic in '04) are eerily remeniscent to the Yankee teams of the late 90's?

The Angels, Marlins and White Sox - watching those teams reminded me an awful lot of those Yankee teams.

When you get to the post season you face such good pitching that you can't just sit back and wait for your big guns to hit homers. That's how the Yankees survived the last four years because you can do that in the regular season because of all the mediocore pitching. That's why we get to the post season and then lose. Once you get to the post season that doesn't fly. And the starting pitching hasn't been that bad in the post season outside of the '04 ALCS. In the 2003 WS the Marlins hit .232 and beat us 4-2. Their OBP was only .282.

That's why you see players even as hot as Jeter and Abreu bunting this year.
2005 white sox = HR team.. being small ball was just coined by idiotic reporters who saw them bunt and said "OOH SMALLBALL" when most of their runs were scored off of homers

Yankees NEVER score a lot of runs in the postseason, and you know why? Because they give away outs with small ball. Somebody explain to me why a guy with a 900+ OPS and a .345 avg should EVER bunt

the 1996-2000 teams won because of pitching. we don't have that same type of pitching now, so playing smallball and scoring less runs would be stupid
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #1151
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Yankees finish off the sweep with a 7-4 win. Matsui homers. Rasner pitches 4 shutout innings, striking out 5.

If Boston loses tonight, we could be 12 1/2 up going into the four game series. I'd love nothing more than to sweep this series, having a 16 1/2 game lead in the East, and potentially coming close to clinching homefield in the AL.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #1152
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Very interesting....

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/n...ory?id=2588782

Yankees might end ties to Triple-A team in Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The New York Yankees might end their 28-year affiliation with the Columbus Clippers and align with another Triple-A team.
The International League team said Friday the Yankees have informed them of their intentions.

"While we have enjoyed working with the New York Yankees, we also understand that baseball is a business and the Yankees have every right to explore new relationships that may be better suited for the goals of their organization,'' Ken Schnacke, president and general manager of the Clippers, said in a statement.

The Clippers said their board of trustees voted to begin negotiations for an affiliation with another club. The Clippers have until Sept. 30 to sign a new deal.

The New York Mets, Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles do not have an affiliate. The Philadelphia Phillies have spoken to Ottawa about making the Lynx their top farm club next season.
Schnacke said in an interview the Clippers will be back next year regardless of what happens with the Yankees.

"The only difference will be where players come from,'' he said.
Columbus finished its season Sept. 4, closing with a 69-73 record in the West Division. Most of the Yankees' best farm products the past three decades played for the Clippers. The team was once among the top draws in the minors until the wave of new stadiums.

The Clippers play at 74-year-old Cooper Stadium. A $55 million stadium will be built near the brick-and-glass home of the city's NHL team, the Columbus Blue Jackets. The baseball stadium is expected to open in July 2008.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »