Home

The 2006 New York Yankees

This is a discussion on The 2006 New York Yankees within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #633
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: The 2006 New York Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
People said the same damn thing about Cano last year and I think he's turned out okay.

Not sure what you're trying to contest here...

Cano's had a real lack of pop in his bat this year, and his defense is nothing to write home about
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #634
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Not sure what you're trying to contest here...

Cano's had a real lack of pop in his bat this year, and his defense is nothing to write home about
Actually his defense has improved immensely. Plus you ignored the part of Misfit's quote about him not even be a starter, while he's going to be the starting 2B in the All-Star game.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #635
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Actually his defense has improved immensely. Plus you ignored the part of Misfit's quote about him not even be a starter, while he's going to be the starting 2B in the All-Star game.

Not so much as ignored it as didn't think that much of it.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #636
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
People said the same damn thing about Cano last year and I think he's turned out okay.

And I have no idea where you're coming up w. this stuff.
You think Cabrera has a good arm from a corner outfield position?! Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

There isn't much comparison between Melky and Cano. Cano plays a position where offense is more of a bonus than anything where as Melky is trying to make it at a power position. And if Cano is the AL starter at second in the All-Star game it won't be because he earned it but because the fans of New York want him there. There are much better choices at second than Cano.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #637
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

If you don't think Melky has a good arm for a corner outfielder, you haven't watched him play.

I've seen him bobble some balls, but I've seen no reason why he can't be a very good outfielder.

He's going to have to develop some power if he wants to be a future starter, but I have no problem with him starting for the rest of the year.

For the other corner outfield spot we are going to need some help. Hopefully something becomes available in the coming weeks.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #638
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2476681

Damn Jimmy L.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #639
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
You think Cabrera has a good arm from a corner outfield position?! Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
You dont?!

You're the first person I've seen who's said he has a poor arm. I think scouts/announcers probably have better insight than you.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #640
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit

There isn't much comparison between Melky and Cano. Cano plays a position where offense is more of a bonus than anything where as Melky is trying to make it at a power position. And if Cano is the AL starter at second in the All-Star game it won't be because he earned it but because the fans of New York want him there. There are much better choices at second than Cano.
Its possilble that Melky will develop some power in the future according to Donny M but I think no one has noticed that the guy is a leadoff hitter in a lineup that doesnt need one.

His whole minor league career he batted leadoff or 2nd I believe due to his relatively high OBP, speed, low strikeout totals, and good contact. Its not such a big deal that we're not getting power from a "power position" (which is true) when we got other hitters in the lineup that can make up for it.

If the guy plays some good D... gets on base... and scores runs... hes done his job here. And so far thats what hes done.

And if you dont think Melky's arm is above average at the least... your insane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »