Home

Old 04-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #857
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Well, tonights game sucked a turned it off right after he gave up the grandslam. But on another not the Sox called Craig Hansen up to AAA today and he may be up in the big leagues by July 4. What do you guys think we do with him?? Do you think we move Papelbon into the rotation and Hansen closes or have Hansen and Papelbon be a tandum in the bull-pen for years to come? I like option number 2 personally.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #858
All Star

OVR: 25

You can't just assume Hansen can come up and be the closer. Some people thought he was going to save the season last year and it didn't happen. If he gets called up he should be used in middle relief and if he has success then you think about promoting him. If they find they can get by with Hansen and Foulke at the end of the game then they should send Papelbon back down to Triple A to get stretched out as a starter. Let's face it, Lenny DiNardo has no future in any big league rotation.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #859
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
You can't just assume Hansen can come up and be the closer. Some people thought he was going to save the season last year and it didn't happen. If he gets called up he should be used in middle relief and if he has success then you think about promoting him. If they find they can get by with Hansen and Foulke at the end of the game then they should send Papelbon back down to Triple A to get stretched out as a starter. Let's face it, Lenny DiNardo has no future in any big league rotation.

I don't think Dinardo's is that bad. He really has been in limbo prior till him taking Wells' spot in the rotation.

And whoever though Hansen was going to save the season was on drugs. Depending on how he does in AAA, he could be called up. But I don't see how he would be option number 1 to replace Paps in the closer role if Keith keeps pitching the way he has been.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #860
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

They need Clemens sooner rather than later.

The offense looks like ca-ca as well to be honest. In particular, Jason Varitek and Mark Loretta have batted terribly thus far.

Beckett is now learning that this is not the National League where you can get away with overpowering 96 MPH fastballs by hitters. In the AL, most lineups will do damage to you if you stick with the fastball and don't locate it perfectly. Obviously, it's awesome to have that fastball, but I think he really has to set hitters up with his curve ball and changeup, then use the fastball as the difference. Sorta pitching in reverse.
Right now, it seems like he is using all fastballs and then throwing a show me curve ball or changeup. In fact, I don't think I've seen him thrown many changeups this year.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #861
All Star

OVR: 25

It can be hard to tell when he does throw the change, since there isn't that big a difference in velocity from his sinking fastball and his change. Sometimes the sinker comes in at 90-92 and the change at 87-89.

Beckett has been good, thus far, and the only negative criticism I have for him is his command has not been there, but he's been getting away with it. He's walked too many hitters and fallen behind too many hitters which leads to bad things. The Indians finally made him pay for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #862
MVP

OVR: 15

I blame Becket's two poor starts on Camulos jinxing him with his avatar. I'm working on the scientific proof needed to cement this theory.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #863
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
They need Clemens sooner rather than later.

The offense looks like ca-ca as well to be honest. In particular, Jason Varitek and Mark Loretta have batted terribly thus far.

Beckett is now learning that this is not the National League where you can get away with overpowering 96 MPH fastballs by hitters. In the AL, most lineups will do damage to you if you stick with the fastball and don't locate it perfectly. Obviously, it's awesome to have that fastball, but I think he really has to set hitters up with his curve ball and changeup, then use the fastball as the difference. Sorta pitching in reverse.
Right now, it seems like he is using all fastballs and then throwing a show me curve ball or changeup. In fact, I don't think I've seen him thrown many changeups this year.
Well Rivera has done fine his whole career throwing nothing but fastballs and his buzzsaw cut-fastballs. Yes he's a closer so that can be a bad example...
Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #864
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briman123
Well Rivera has done fine his whole career throwing nothing but fastballs and his buzzsaw cut-fastballs. Yes he's a closer so that can be a bad example...
Rivera also has pinpoint precision of both his fastball and cutter. He also throws the filthiest cutter in the history of baseball. In addition, he is the greatest closer who's ever played. Not a good comparison with Beckett.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »