Home

Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #89
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Remember, Matt Clement has been traded twice at the end of march. So there is still a chance for Paplebon to start the year in Boston.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #90
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

I think some of you are failing to realize that there's a high probability that Keith Foulke ****s the bed. He could be cooked as a Red Sox as far as I'm concerned. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't rely on a guy to be a lights out closer when every day you read about him receiving weird injections in his knees.
I can definitely see Foulke being DL'ed for a long time and Papelbon being thrown in as the closer. As of today, I have 0 confidence in Foulke to be a) healthy and b) a lights out closer. Papelbon can be the guy to step in and fill the role, without causing any blip in the starting pitching situation.
Arroyo is on record saying that he's fine with being thrown to the bullpen. I like him as a ROOGY type of pitcher to come in to the middle of a jam.

Bottom line: This bullpen still inspires no faith in me, and the thought of having Arroyo and Papelbon anchoring the bullpen along with Timlin sounds good to me. Count me unconvinced with Rudy friekin Seanez being relied upon along with Timlin, Foulke, and Riske.

Last edited by GBrushTWood; 03-06-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #91
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

It should be interesting to see what they do with Papelbon. They want him to start, but don't want him to throw 200 innings. I can see him in the bullpen at some point, but I'd try to stay away from having him start in AAA, then move to the MLB bullpen. Either way, I'd be surprised to see him on the 25 man roster until the end of April.

Remember, Adam Stern needs 18 days on the 25 man, so we will likely carry 5 outfielders until he can be sent down. With all the off days over the first month it makes sense to only carry 10 pitchers, which leaves Papelbon as the odd man out even if you trade a starter and give Vermilyea back to the Jays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #92
MVP

OVR: 9

We have to trade one of our SEVEN starters. Otherwise, we will be forced to use two of the following: papelbon (a very promising young starter), Bronson Arroyo - a rather good starter, and Wakefield (whos actually quite good-16 wins).

We should trade Arroyo or Wake or Wells or a combination of 2 of the 3 to the mariners for eddie guardado. that would be awesome
Old 03-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #93
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbagamer
We have to trade one of our SEVEN starters. Otherwise, we will be forced to use two of the following: papelbon (a very promising young starter), Bronson Arroyo - a rather good starter, and Wakefield (whos actually quite good-16 wins).

We should trade Arroyo or Wake or Wells or a combination of 2 of the 3 to the mariners for eddie guardado. that would be awesome
I HIGHLY doubt the Sox trade Wakefield...and to even think about such a thing is blasphemy.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #94
All Star

OVR: 25

They won't trade Wake. They re-signed him last year so he could pitch with the Red Sox until retirement.

After looking at it further, it does look like Papelbon will start the year at AAA. I forgot about Stern needing to stay on the roster for 18 days and at this point it would be stupid to not keep him on the Major League roster. And who knows if Foulke will even be ready to go in April.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #95
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I guess Flaherty didn't enjoy catching Wake the other day:

Quote:
John Flaherty, the presumed frontrunner to win the job as Tim Wakefield's personal catcher, just retired.
http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...s/extra_bases/

With Huckaby banged up, I guess the job goes to Bard by default.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #96
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Good career John...

7/1/04 hero

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »