Home

Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #1049
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Yikes

Hopefully he's alright.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 05-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #1050
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

1. I like that Lowell has an OPS over .850 at the moment, however I expect him to decline very soon. My reasoning behind this is that I see him mainly hitting ground balls and liners and really not a lot of flyballs. Right now, these balls seem to be finding holes in the defense (har, har), but over the course of the season this will all even out, and many of these balls in play will be hit right at fielders.
His inability to drive the ball with authority will ultimately result in a reduction in his SLG. Still, what he has accomplished thus far is certainly encouraging in the fact that it is unlikely he will continue his pace from last year.
So, the good news is that Lowell appears to be useful for this team.

2. Dustan Mohr - Man, get this bum off the team. He is absolutely terrible at the plate. I could understand his strikeouts if he walked AT ALL, but my god, he has 2 walks on the season. He must have struck out at least 10 times this year just looking at a strike right down the middle of the plate pass him by. This guy just flat out sucks. I can't wait for Kapler to get back and get this guy off the team.

3. Loretta - There's no way that he's a .218/.267/.279 hitter. Just can't be. He'll snap out of it soon I imagine. In fact, I even picked him up for my fantasy team after an impatient GM dropped him.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #1051
MVP

Quote:
1. I like that Lowell has an OPS over .850 at the moment, however I expect him to decline very soon. My reasoning behind this is that I see him mainly hitting ground balls and liners and really not a lot of flyballs. Right now, these balls seem to be finding holes in the defense (har, har), but over the course of the season this will all even out, and many of these balls in play will be hit right at fielders.
His inability to drive the ball with authority will ultimately result in a reduction in his SLG. Still, what he has accomplished thus far is certainly encouraging in the fact that it is unlikely he will continue his pace from last year.

Completely agree. That's why I really don't believe he's as good as the numbers he's put up. His power seems to be non-existant at the moment.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2006, 02:12 AM   #1052
All Star

OVR: 25

Lowell isn't great, if he hits 20 homeruns this year I'll be impressed. However, he isn't as bad as the guy who was playing for Florida last year and at worst he's Kevin Millar with a better glove at third base. He'll equal Mueller's production at worst.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #1053
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
So, the good news is that Lowell appears to be useful for this team.

2. Dustan Mohr - Man, get this bum off the team. He is absolutely terrible at the plate. I could understand his strikeouts if he walked AT ALL, but my god, he has 2 walks on the season. He must have struck out at least 10 times this year just looking at a strike right down the middle of the plate pass him by. This guy just flat out sucks. I can't wait for Kapler to get back and get this guy off the team.

3. Loretta - There's no way that he's a .218/.267/.279 hitter. Just can't be. He'll snap out of it soon I imagine. In fact, I even picked him up for my fantasy team after an impatient GM dropped him.
1. I agree that his slugging will drop. He isn't going to hit enough HR's for a high slugging and the doubles have been a little bit of a fluke. I think he probably slugs in the .500 range at Fenway, but not on the road. However, it seems like he's adjusting to the fact that he can't drive the ball. He's had some very good at bats the last couple days where he's shown a willingness to go the opposite way and fight off pitches. I thought he would strike out a lot more than he has, but he's shown excellent discipline. (9 walks, 10 K's) My only knock on him right now is he sometimes bails out pitchers by hitting ground balls when he has 2 strikes on him and runners on base. As a whole though, I'm very happy. The upgrade of Youkilis/Lowell over Millar/Mueller has been pretty big so far. I expect Lowell to drop down towards Mueller's numbers a little bit, but I still think he outproduces what Mueller gave us last year.

2. He's a hacker, and not even a good one. No reason for him to still be on the team when Crisp comes back. Wily Mo has shown that he can provide some offense and Willie Harris can act as the defensive OF and provide a lot more versatility than Mohr. We should've traded him in spring training when we had the chance.

3. I agree and I think Loretta will pick it up. Even with his struggles, he's had a couple clutch hits, the walkoff HR and the single that put us ahead against the Yankees. He swung the bat pretty well last night and as Jerry said, it seems like he's hit a lot of balls hard right at people.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #1054
MVP

WTF is Lowell on? 5 doubles in two games. Jeez.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #1055
MVP

Quote:
David Ortiz had a tiebreaking, three-run double to snap an 0-for-11 stretch and lead the Red Sox to a 6-3 win over the Orioles.
With the double, Ortiz accomplished the toughest feat in baseball; he drove in Alex Gonzalez for the shortstop's second run scored of the year. May. 5 - 10:30 pm et

Gotta love Rotoworld.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #1056
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

That's classic.

And Big and Lil Paps are getting it done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »