Home

Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #1121
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Talk about a beat-down tonight. At first the Yankees seemed content to just shoot themselves in the foot, then the Red Sox bats did their best to make us forget about how badly the Yankees were playing. That was a gift win. RJ had nothing, it was like he didn't want to challenge the hitters.

Beckett looked solid, outside of the Giambi bomb. No walks, which is big for him. Anyone think Bernie will get some time off for flipping his helmet towards the ump?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #1122
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Beckett looked solid, outside of the Giambi bomb. No walks, which is big for him. Anyone think Bernie will get some time off for flipping his helmet towards the ump?
Beckett also had that nasty curveball working. It wasn't flying out of his hands like it does when he's struggling. The one he caught Bernie looking on was just sick.

I think Bernie definitely gets some time off, especially in the wake of this Delmon Young thing. Obviously not nearly as serious, but I think anytime you throw equipment at the ump, you're asking for a few days off.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #1123
All Star

I think he gets 3 games or so. He didn't hit the ump, but you can't throw anything in their direction. How many did Papi get for throwing the bats out of the dugout?

Tonight's matchup should better live up to the billing with Schiling and Mussina. Schilling hasn't been dominating recently but he usually turns it up against the Yanks. Mussina has been the best starter in the league so far this year and I'm eager to see what he's got. I'm thinking the Yankees are going to win tonight because it seems whenever the Sox crush 'em in one game they lose the next. The Sox are sitting pretty right now as they're probably favored in the matchup between Tim Wakefield and (Cy-Young hopeful) Shawn Chacon.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #1124
The World's Smartest Man

TheGenius's Arena

OVR: 10

Well, my hopes for this game are down after hearing that WILLIE freakin' HARRIS is starting in center field tonight. Why Wily Mo is not starting is beyond me. Hurry back, Coco.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #1125
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ
Well, my hopes for this game are down after hearing that WILLIE freakin' HARRIS is starting in center field tonight. Why Wily Mo is not starting is beyond me. Hurry back, Coco.
Yeah it makes no sense. Willie Harris is a utility player, not somebody you have to get at bats to keep them fresh. He has good numbers against Mussina, but still, he's Willie freakin Harris.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1126
All Star

If he has good numbers against Mussina then I don't mind. The Sox will get better defense in center and Mussina is the type of pitcher who will probably give Pena fits anyways.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #1127
The World's Smartest Man

TheGenius's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
If he has good numbers against Mussina then I don't mind. The Sox will get better defense in center and Mussina is the type of pitcher who will probably give Pena fits anyways.
Well sure he's got decent numbers but he's only got 35 career AB's against him. It's not like a storied rivalry between the two or anything. Plus WMP is mashing lately.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #1128
All Star

Harris has 13 career at-bats, 14 career plate appearances. I wouldn't say Wily Mo has been mashing lately, he had two hits last night that could have been outs. This lineup has a lot of guys who struggle against Mussina in it so sticking Harris in who is 5 for 13 with three doubles isn't a bad idea. I'm actually surprised that Mirabelli doesn't start when Mussina pitches as Varitek is a .106 career hitter (5 for 47, all singles) against Mussina and Mirabelli is 4 for 11 with a double and a homer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »