Home

Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #1361
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Pauley for Cy Young!!!!!
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM   #1362
MVP

Incredible play by AGon. Really helping Pauley out.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 05-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #1363
MVP

Tough break for Pauley, would have been nice to see him get the W.

Now it's a one run game with JVB in.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #1364
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

MANNY BEING MANNY

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 05-31-2006, 10:46 PM   #1365
All Star

OVR: 25

Anybody TiVoing this game? That Glaus at-bat was screwed up, the ump pumped his fist on the first pitch breaking ball and called it a strike, but it went down as a ball. At least it didn't come back to hurt the Sox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #1366
All Star

OVR: 25

Anytime a team wins with a Double A pitcher on the mound its a good win. Pauly pitched about as well as could be expected. He at least came away looking like a legitimate end of the rotation starter (as opposed to Dinardo) who just needs to wash away his nerves and get some more experience. He has vanilla stuff but if he throws more strikes and can get that breaking ball to be a bit more consistent there's no reason to believe he can't be a league average starter, which makes him better than Clement already! I think he'll get another start for the Sox to prove himself.

The defense up the middle was tremendous tonight (with the exception of Loretta's bobble that surprsingly did not go for an E-4) and the hitting was very timely. The rotation had a horrible series up in Toronto but the bullpen was lights out (except for Riske). Congrats to Jermaine Van Buren on his first career win. If he keeps pitching like this he'll be a mainstay in the bullpen for the rest of the season. Hopefully the young guys like Van Buren and Delcarmen can push some of the struggling veterans to better things. I'm not prepared to lay a verdict down on Riske since he hasn't pitched much and is coming off an injury but Tavarez and Seanez need to show me something and neither has been consistent.

The Sox are now bound for Detroit who are struggling against the Yankees right now. If there is one plus heading into this series it's that the Sox will not see Verlander who is going tomorrow. The Sox usually have a tough time against pitchers they haven't seen before. The Tigers will get Schilling, Wakefield, and (gulp) Clement. Wakefield has had his struggles in Detroit which is odd given that its a big ballpark and usually friendly to fly-ball pitchers. The Sox need some strong outings from both Schilling and Wakefield to help settle the rotation down and because Clement cannot be counted on.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #1367
MVP

When I saw we got Van Buren earlier this year, and I took a look at his numbers I thought he'd be a great, quiet addition to the bullpen. I was really disappointed when he didn't make the big club out of ST mainly because of the arms signed and traded for.

When he came up for the brief stint earlier in the year and pitched very well I thought he might have a shot to stay with the club, but was soon optioned back down. Now that he's back with the ML team, and again pitching well, hopefully the FO/Tito decide to leave him aboard. He's really been the only consistent guy out of our pen not named Papelbon or Timlin. (Yeah, small sample size)

Delcarmen showed a filthy curve tonight against Glaus, I think. So he's definitely showing some promise, just has to work on his control, the walks are scary from a BP guy in a close game.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #1368
MVP

Quote:
quote from Papi.

"That's not a good injury," said a sympathetic Ortiz.

"I came back after the All-Star break, but I was weak still. I was a mess because, for the rest of the season, I couldn't swing hard. Every time I took a big swing it hurt. The following season was when I started feeling powerful."

I got that off of SoSH. Sounds like Wily Mo might be a bit of a lost cause for the rest of the year. His biggest upside is his power, and if he's just going to be hacking with no power once he's able to return it'll be tough to keep trotting him out there.

When I heard surgery was needed my first thoughts were fear of him losing some of his power for good. But after reading that David had the same type of injury and looking at what he's turned in to, it's sort of put my nerves at ease.

It seems once we get one guy healthy, another one goes down. Thankfully we've got the day off tomorrow so Lowell and Loretta can get healed up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »