Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #1402
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
Yeah...he has to get the change-up working a lot better, and that non-existent curve he's had the past two days needs to go. He's better than he's pitched recently, but really 'Tek needs to go up to him and give him a talk...tell him he can't wave off every curve or change-up, and he needs to just start trusdting one of the best game-callers in the league(although, Tek's had his struggles this year too)
Another interesting point you bring up here - what is Varitek's role in all this? When is this guy going to catch a little bit of heat for his horrific performance this year? It's not just that Varitek has been poor with the stick, but he has also had glaringly poor performance (in my opinion) calling pitches behind the plate.

I don't see how Varitek is in any way one of the best game callers around the league. The best game caller doesn't give up 3 home runs in one game to Vernon Wells on virtually the same pitch in the same location. I don't think Varitek and Beckett have been synched up very well all year long, and it's definitely something a little bit concerning. I really think their advanced scouting reports or whatever gameplan they have with Beckett needs to change.

What about Nipper as well?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #1403
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Another interesting point you bring up here - what is Varitek's role in all this? When is this guy going to catch a little bit of heat for his horrific performance this year? It's not just that Varitek has been poor with the stick, but he has also had glaringly poor performance (in my opinion) calling pitches behind the plate.

I don't see how Varitek is in any way one of the best game callers around the league. The best game caller doesn't give up 3 home runs in one game to Vernon Wells on virtually the same pitch in the same location. I don't think Varitek and Beckett have been synched up very well all year long, and it's definitely something a little bit concerning. I really think their advanced scouting reports or whatever gameplan they have with Beckett needs to change.

What about Nipper as well?
Yeah...that's what I meant by the comment about him having his struggles...didn't mean his batting struggles, meant the fact that he's usually considered one of the best game-planners, and yet this season he seems to be making a lot of dumb calls, or at least not changing up his game-plan when it's obvious it's not working.

I really do wish they could go back, check Beckett's pitches and see how many were actually called fastballs, and how many were a different pitch that Beckett shrugged off until he got the fastball. That'd be an interesting stat to see.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #1404
MVP

OVR: 15

However crappy the game is, Erin Andrews makes it all better.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #1405
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
However crappy the game is, Erin Andrews makes it all better.
For you. I am forced to watch through the YES Network.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #1406
MVP

OVR: 15

From practically the first game Beckett has pitched for the Sox, JB has consistently shaken Tek off over and over.

It's a bit concerning it hasn't gotten much better.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #1407
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Wow the umps got that one wrong.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #1408
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Wow the umps got that one wrong.
That's wat i'm saying. Looked like a foul ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »