Home

Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #1489
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Francona said yesterday that Hansen was starting strictly for developmental purposes because they didn't feel like he was getting enough consistent innings coming out of the pen. I'm not sure Hansen has the pitches to start, and I don't think anyone knows if he could maintain his velocity throughout the game.

In regards to Clemens, doesn't MLB have rules against trading players within a certain period of time after they're signed? I'm not exactly sure what it is, and Clemens might be able to waive it, but I thought a rule like that existed.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #1490
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
I don't think you totally understand what a closer by committee is.

It's basically using your best reliever for that given situation.

Last night if you were using a CBC, Papelbon probably would have been brought in. But I can't argue too much with Seanez either. He's a strikeout pitcher and pretty much our least erractic guy in the BP control wise. (Although we know that's not saying a whole lot).
I fully understand what closer by committee is. But the Red Sox don't have the luxury of a committee right now. With Foulke and Timlin out, there is only ONE closer. And one person does not a committee make.

In that situation, in the second game of a series against the Yankees in June, I am not bringing my ONLY closer into a tie ball game in the 7th inning.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #1491
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos

In regards to Clemens, doesn't MLB have rules against trading players within a certain period of time after they're signed? I'm not exactly sure what it is, and Clemens might be able to waive it, but I thought a rule like that existed.

I don't know, but you might be right. I just heard one of the many talking heads on TV throw it out there that the Astros could move him if things don't work out but it wouldn't surprise me if thats an impossibility.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #1492
MVP

OVR: 15

I think if the player agrees to the deal/signs a consent form, a deal can be made.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #1493
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

The Astros are not going to trade Clemens no matter how far they fall behind the Reds or Cards. He will sell out the park every time he pitches for Houston and after all the excitement of them signing him they are not going to trade him.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #1494
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
The Astros are not going to trade Clemens no matter how far they fall behind the Reds or Cards. He will sell out the park every time he pitches for Houston and after all the excitement of them signing him they are not going to trade him.
If his contract is anything like his deal last year, he has a full no-trade provision. That doesn't mean he couldn't be dealt, but it would amount to a Larry Brown-style multi-million dollar buyout.

If the Astros tried to trade Clemens away, Jake's right, that whole city's fan base might run them out of town. They're still stinging after the NFL draft LOL.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #1495
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np

The Astros won't be the ones making the decision, Clemens will. If the team is out of contention and he expresses interest in being traded to New York or Boston then the Astros will have no choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #1496
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
The Astros won't be the ones making the decision, Clemens will. If the team is out of contention and he expresses interest in being traded to New York or Boston then the Astros will have no choice.
The only decision Clemens makes himself are prior to his contract. Anything else will be the Astros' front office. He has INPUT, but he doesn't carry any weight outside of negotiations with the Astros and on his behlaf by the MLBPA once the contract is inked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »