Home

Old 06-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #1545
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

I don't know if I would call him a nibbler as he did try to challenge hitters but kept overthrowing. When he was throwing it 93-95 he was wild, when he took a little off he was able to throw strikes. Probably a lot of jitters for him, but walks were a problem at Triple A. At only 22, he is most definitly still a work in progress.

Francona tried to get too much out of Tavarez tonight. If he felt he needed about 3 innings of middle relief from one guy he probably should have gone to someone like Pauley. Tavarez has struggled some this year and I think it would have been better to take him out after the 6th so he ended his night on a high note.

It would be nice to sweep the double-header tomorrow so that the Red Sox can take the series. Francona will probably give some guys the night off but I don't think thats necessary given the off day on Monday. We'll see how it turns out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #1546
MVP

OVR: 15

Papi!!!!!!!!!

This guy never stops coming through when it matters the most.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #1547
Rookie

OVR: 2

That made my day.

He was due, glad to see him get the big one. Maybe this one will kick the rest of the team in the butt for a bit, they seemed to be sleepwalking out there through 8. What a great way to end it.

Last edited by heavyXBLLN; 06-11-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #1548
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

He's insane
Old 06-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #1549
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Nice hit. Otsuka has been pretty solid this year, so it didn't come against a bum. I could sorta see Ortiz 'getting locked in' so to speak right before the at bat started, although obviously you can't expect a home run in that situation. Getting it was pretty sweet.

FWIW, Ortiz has been fairly un-clutch thus far in 2006 from my subjective memory. Hitting that HR definitely tips the scale to clutch again...

One other thing: It seems like Ortiz usually hit his walk off home runs when the score was tied (Proctor, Washburn, Shields, some others). In this situation, the team was down 2 runs, and he was representing the go ahead run. It's pretty damn ridiculous that he came through yet again even when they were down and the game is probably over if it doesn't go out.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #1550
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Nice hit. Otsuka has been pretty solid this year, so it didn't come against a bum. I could sorta see Ortiz 'getting locked in' so to speak right before the at bat started, although obviously you can't expect a home run in that situation. Getting it was pretty sweet.

FWIW, Ortiz has been fairly un-clutch thus far in 2006 from my subjective memory. Hitting that HR definitely tips the scale to clutch again...

One other thing: It seems like Ortiz usually hit his walk off home runs when the score was tied (Proctor, Washburn, Shields, some others). In this situation, the team was down 2 runs, and he was representing the go ahead run. It's pretty damn ridiculous that he came through yet again even when they were down and the game is probably over if it doesn't go out.
You forgot that Ortiz was oftentimes the one who tied it up last year, too

He has been a little off of his torrid pace, though, especially with runners on (anybody have a number on how many of his HRs have been solo this year?). But this was good to get it started again (hopefully). I could see the rest of the league starting to challenge him again lately, and down 0-2 it was easy to see why. The 0-2 pitch was where I started to get a good feeling about his chances. The slider down and in he was able to see it and lay off. Then the first 2-2 that he fouled off was a godsend... That's the old Papi, reaching down and staying alive. After that pitch, I was pretty sure he was in business...

We might want to mark this AB down in the 2006 yearbook. I know it is only one AB in one game, IN JUNE, against THE RANGERS. But it seems to me that there are moments like this in a season that tend to be pointed to when teams go on great runs. Here's hoping...

Last edited by heavyXBLLN; 06-11-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #1551
MVP

OVR: 9

UNBELIVABLE FIRST GAME! I was there, my uncle was supposed to go with a friend of his yesterday but he couldn't go today so I went with my uncle. Boy one hell of game ORTIZ!!!!!!! Love him... I had VERY good seats. After My dad said "you could go to 20 games and NOT see an ending like that" Here's some pics I took! http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...al&media=image
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #1552
All Star

OVR: 25

Well, if they were gonna go on a run apparently it wasn't starting with the second game of the double header as the Rangers pounded out 22 hits in a route. Pauley wasn't very effective and the bullpen just couldn't keep the Rangers off the board.

Great win in game 1 though.

EDIT: Someone asked how many of Ortiz's homers have come with the bases empty and the answer is 8 of his 18 have been with no one on. He's hitting .261 with men in scoring position, and .241 with men in scoring position and 2 outs. In close and late situations he's hitting .207 with 3 homeruns (including today).

Last edited by Misfit; 06-11-2006 at 10:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »