Home

Old 01-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Anyone hear anything about us signing Julian Tavarez?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllstr876
Anyone hear anything about us signing Julian Tavarez?
Quite a buzz over at SoSH about it. They link rotoworld.com and are saying it's a 2 year deal with a vested option, somewhere around $4 mil per. There's also speculation that it may enable Mota to be traded in a deal for a SS or CF, which frankly, I think is brilliant. Sign someone better, then trade a power arm of value for a need...it's almost like you lose nothing since you're only spending money to get Tavarez, who is by all means a very dependable reliever. I've heard rumors about the Indians being interested in Mota a while back...I wonder if he could play a role in acquiring Coco now that he's expendable? Again, assuming Tavarez is signed.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Signing Tavarez would be a very good addition to our bullpen, and it'd be even better if it would allow us to ship off someone for Coco.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 25

The Red Sox certainly have an abundance of right-handed relievers now. I'd still love to see them get Crisp. And if they trade Marte for Lugo I will boo everytime Lugo comes to the plate out of principle.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

Just an update.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9161512

The part that struck me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Hoyer
Trade talks also continue for lefty David Wells, who asked to go to a team closer to his West Coast home. Hoyer also said the team will bring in a center fielder from outside the organization to replace Johnny Damon, who signed with the New York Yankees.

"We're making a lot of phone calls and we're working towards it," he said. "We have a list of guys we're going after and we're going after them hard and I think we're very confident we'll have a very good center fielder in 2006."

Hoyer said he has gotten good reports on both righty Curt Schilling and closer Keith Foulke, two stars of World Series run who struggled last season with injuries. Foulke will start the season as the closer, Hoyer said.

The team is prepared to go with Alex Cora at shortstop, and prospect Dustin Pedroia backing him up, if necessary.

"The season doesn't start for quite a while, and I think there's a lot of teams with openings right now and there's a lot of talk right now," Hoyer said. "The fans want a good leadoff hitter and a good center fielder. I think that's what we're trying to give them. We're not just trying to fill holes as quickly as possible to talk them off the bridge."
Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
All Star

Its starting to become believable that Alex Cora will be the opening day shortstop.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Its starting to become believable that Alex Cora will be the opening day shortstop.
I think it'll either be him, Alex Gonzalez(if they sign him) or Pedrioa if he has a good ST.

Is there anyone available that you'd rather have, though?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
All Star

After looking at Gonzalez's numbers, I'd say just stick with Cora. Gonzalez sufferred a huge drop in his slugging percentage last year which could mean he had a bad year or...(insert wild steroids accusation here). Gonzalez is a better defender, but not so much so that it's worth spending a couple million on him. I'll be rooting for Pedroia though and if Baltimore decides they want to do the Manny for Tejada swap in the end, then I'd say take it and go with Marte in left (if he proves he can handle it in ST).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »