Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #177
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Lost in the thrill of the win was the amount of pitches thrown by Beckett tonight, which was 109. Given his history and all of the rumors we heard about the MRI's on his shoulder, I'd like to see them "baby" Beckett a little. Tonight he was throwing pretty well and it was his debut so I can see why Tito wanted to leave him in for 7, but from here on out they should do their best to make sure he doesn't excede 100 pitches too often. We want this kid fresh in the second half and McKeon has likely overworked him in the past. They shouldn't have to go as far with Beckett as they did with Pedro through (as far as giving him extra rest is concerned).
Old 04-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #178
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
I didn't agree with bringing in Papelbon in the 9th. I think they need to let Foulke have his shot but I can't argue with results. Foulke's stuff is fine right now, its his command that isn't. No matter what happens, Paps is gonna have a big season for them out of the pen.
I don't disagree with the decision last night, but I still don't think they can just hand the job to Papelbon outright. If a starter goes down, which with our staff is likely, Papelbon is obviously the first option to step into the rotation which then leaves you without a closer.

For the time being, I think Papelbon gets the ball in 1 or 2 run games. I think if that was a 3 run game last night, Foulke would have pitched the 9th. The important thing for Francona now is to get Foulke in as much as possible to give them options down the road. They can't just give up on him and make him the garbage time pitcher like many people in Boston are calling for.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #179
All Star

I would like to see Foulke pitch in some games this weekend just to get him some work. I think save situations are better only because closers, for whatever reason, tend to pitch poorly in non-save situations. I'm not saying that is the reason why his command was off on Opending Day (I think we all can agree his command is bad because he just hasn't pitched much) but it could have at least a small affect. We all know Foulke strives on adrenaline (as evidenced by his terrible spring in 04, but stellar regular season and post season) so getting him out there in a 3 or 2-run save situation would be good. I think part of the reason why he was not used last night was because of the venue, which hasn't been too kind to Foulke in the past. I know he can operate with the stuff he has right now (86-88 from his delivery probably looks more like a low 90's fastball) so I'm confident he can be a good pitcher for the Sox this season if he ever gets his command back.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #180
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Tough start for Daniel Cabrera of the O's. He's allowed a bunt single and 4 walks, walking in 2 runs in the 1st. He's not even coming close to the plate.

EDIT - just walked in another. 3-0 Boston in the top of the 1st and the only hit is a bunt single.

EDIT Again - Sac fly, 4-0 with 1 hit.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #181
MVP

OVR: 14

Wow. 1 hit, 42 pitches, 6 walks, four runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #182
All Star

I don't think the Red Sox will ever score 4 runs in the first inning of a ballgame in a less exciting manner. Mazzone's got his work cut out for him.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #183
All Star

Out comes Sam Perlozzo to end one of the worst pitching performances Ive ever witnessed.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #184
MVP

OVR: 14

Wow. Simply incredible how bad that was,

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »