Home

Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #2057
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Right now the team does have a heavy feeling to it, its as if they aren't in sync. 2002 is a good parallel since that team, even at the end of the season, put up some unbelievable numbers and without looking at the records in the AL one probably would have thought they lead the league in wins. This team just looks sluggish. They're playing .500 against inferior teams. And I think most of us were hoping for last night's heroics to carry over into today. It makes you wonder if this team peaked too early.

Now with that said, there are two months left in the season and I'm not going to panic. The Sox sent their 4th and 5th starters out so far this series and are 1-1. If they lose this series, that will be inexcusable since they're at home and playing a team that is below .500. And even if they win tomorrow, and Thursday, it will mean they were barely over .500 on the homestand which also isn't very good. The Red Sox have begun a stretch of games in which they play 13 in a row against below .500 ballclubs. Even though it is early August, if they can't win at least 8 or 9 of the next 13 games that might make or break their season.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #2058
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I think it's a little too early to count this team out. We still havn't seen what kind of contribution we're going to get from Wells. Also, Snyder and Johnson's last outings were encouraging. I admit there's still a lot of questions in the rotation, but I think we have enough to hold things together.

My biggest concern is that our lineup is going to become too dependent on the big guns down the stretch, which was our downfall last year. Wily Mo should help, but having the rally killer Doug Mirabelli in the lineup for a month or so could be a problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #2059
MVP

OVR: 14

Its definately too early ot count this team out. C'mon, we still ahve one of the most productive, if not THE most productive 1-4 combo in the majors, and with Willy Mo in there I expect great things from him.

Schilling struggled recently but he's still a healthy Curt, and Beckett when on is on. Wakefield will be coming back in a couple weeks, Wells can give us quality starts, and Lester has been a little more than what we expected since his call-up. Not to mention the defense. We'll be in a dog-fight the whole way through, thats for sure.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #2060
All Star

Beckett is going to be the key, along with one of our other starters. If the Sox can get strong outings from Beckett to go along with Schilling down the stretch that will do wonders. And one other pitcher needs to step up and be consistent as well whether it be Wells, Lester, or someone else. Lester has been consistent but lately he's been struggling a little more. Delcarmen made Lester's last start look a little worse than it truely was by allowing the inherited runners to score. The Sox also need someone in the pen to step up and become the reliable set-up man before Papelbon. Delcarman looked poised to do that until his recent thumb injury. Bottomline though, the starters need to set the tone and recently they have all been iffy.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #2061
MVP

OVR: 15

Has anyone taken a look at what Cla Meredith has been doing in San Diego?

16.1 IP 11K 1.65 ERA .73 WHIP

“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #2062
All Star

Don't forget about Josh Bard and his .357 average. The media basically forced that trade. I love how the Dirt Dogs guy loves to bring up how bad Mirabelli is doing vs Bard and yet his site was one of the reasons why Bard got shipped out of here.

Sowers scares me a little. The Sox haven't faced him and he's coming off back-to-back shutouts. Hopefully he's tired or something, he can't possibly throw three in a row. Hopefully Lester can get back track tonight.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #2063
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Nice play.

Lester needs to find his control, if he could do that he would end up being a great pitcher. Even when he won it was still a tough outing because he's always walking people and getting himself into jams and ends up getting a high pitch count.

Edit- Homerun Victor Martinez, 2-0 Indians.

Edit again... rbi single for Peralta, 3-0 Indians. Lester is already above 30 pitches....

Last edited by Dispatch; 08-02-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #2064
The World's Smartest Man

TheGenius's Arena

OVR: 10

Wow. Turned this thing on for about 5 minutes and it looks real bad tonight. Ugh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »