Home

Old 08-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #2281
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Papelbon is about to blow it again.

Edit: Got ahead of myself.

Last edited by dieselboy; 08-13-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #2282
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
Papelbon is about to blow it again.
Not so fast, my friend.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #2283
MVP

OVR: 15

Livin on the edge by Aerosmith comes to mind.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #2284
All Star

OVR: 25

Total panic move by Francona to bring Papelbon in. I didn't like the move when he did it, and I certainly didn't like it when things got rough. Of course, he would have looked ok if Cora had turned that double play (I don't like Cora at short, and that play certainly didn't change my opinion) but he just didn't have much today and that was expected after yesterday's two innings of work. At least that didn't blow up in Francona's face because, as far as I know, they still didn't have anybody warming up (which was beyond stupid).

If Manny had chosen to run hard on that groundball to the pitcher he probably gets a hit on that play. If his hitting streak wasn't important enough to him to run hard on that play then I'm certainly not going to feel bad that his streak is over.

Detroit is coming off a sweep by the White Sox so they'll be looking to rebound against Boston. The Sox will get a look at Verlander this series and will face Rogers who dominated them back in Detroit earlier this season. Hopefully Schilling and Beckett decide to show up.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #2285
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Pap looked exhausted today. They gotta rest him this week before the Yanks come in or before he gets a dead arm...he is still a rookie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #2286
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Total panic move by Francona to bring Papelbon in. I didn't like the move when he did it, and I certainly didn't like it when things got rough. Of course, he would have looked ok if Cora had turned that double play (I don't like Cora at short, and that play certainly didn't change my opinion) but he just didn't have much today and that was expected after yesterday's two innings of work. At least that didn't blow up in Francona's face because, as far as I know, they still didn't have anybody warming up (which was beyond stupid).

If Manny had chosen to run hard on that groundball to the pitcher he probably gets a hit on that play. If his hitting streak wasn't important enough to him to run hard on that play then I'm certainly not going to feel bad that his streak is over.

Detroit is coming off a sweep by the White Sox so they'll be looking to rebound against Boston. The Sox will get a look at Verlander this series and will face Rogers who dominated them back in Detroit earlier this season. Hopefully Schilling and Beckett decide to show up.
Yea I didn't like Franconas move of bringing in Papelbon. You could tell Papelbon was tired especially the more pitches he threw.

And did any of you read the article in the Herald the other day? It was an interview with Willy Mo and he said the only player on the team that he can't out run is Coco Crisp. I found that to be a suprise but the more I see him the more I notice it. Willy Mo is starting to become my favorite player on the Red Sox. Now if he could only work on his defense and improve how much he strikes out.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #2287
All Star

OVR: 25

I knew about Wily Mo's speed when they traded for him. He's just one of those types who lacks the instincts to make his speed a really valuable weapon. He isn't good at getting jumps off of pitchers or off of balls when on defense. I'm not worried about his defense, in time it should improve enough to the point that he isn't a liability out there (which one could argue he's already there). I just want to see him learn to lay off the breaking ball away. Being able to remove that hole from his swing will be the difference in being a good hitter and a feared hitter.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #2288
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm starting to get worried about Papelbon's arm a lil' bit. The role of closer pretty much necessitates mistreatment by the manager. It's too bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »