Home

Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #2289
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
I'm starting to get worried about Papelbon's arm a lil' bit. The role of closer pretty much necessitates mistreatment by the manager. It's too bad.
Yea thats another reason why I can't wait untill next year and hopefully he is a starter instead of the closer because Francona doesn't do the best job of mangaing the bullpen.

This is my projected line up for next year.

SP - Schilling
SP - Beckett
SP - Papelbon
SP - Wakefield
SP - Lester

In no particular order.

DH - Ortiz
RF - Pena
CF - Crisp
LF - Ramirez
3B - Lowell
SS - Gonzalez??
2B - Pedroia
1B - Youk
C - Varitek

Everything is good besides our bullpen. Does anyone know what were gonna be looking at in terms of free agent releivers?

Also does anyone see Jacoby Ellsbury being traded in the off season or sometime next year? I only say that because I see no real spot for him in the future and he could be a good bargaining chip to try to land someone, either that or Coco Crisp gets traded to make room for Ellsbury possibly when he's ready to get called up.

Last edited by Dispatch; 08-13-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #2290
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Crisp will be traded before Ellsbury/
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #2291
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

I won't harp on how I felt about the trade for Coco Crisp, because I wasn't sold when his numbers were "Damon like" last year. But I think it's fairly certain that his defense in center isn't quite as rock solid as he was in left. And to be fair, his arm is at least as bad as Johnny's was. Meanwhile, Ellsbury is rated as one of the very best defensive outfielders in minor league baseball, and looked upon as the best pure leadoff man as well. With that said, I think the Sox give Coco the chance he deserves to start producing at the plate. If he's not back to where he was last year and the Sox feel he may have maxed out, then I think Ellsbury could start getting time as early as the second half of next year.

But let's face it... we didn't have a center fielder or a big time arm after Schill, and you can't leave those positions open in Boston. Just because Coco and Josh haven't worked out as well as we all hoped this year doesn't mean they can't turn it around... But Theo's got a tough job; build for the future like he's clearly doing this year, yet make some necessary moves to compete that could go against your main goal. I think it gets easier for him this offseason with the youth establishing themselves, so I don't necessarily see Jacoby being traded unless it's for a big time player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #2292
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn
Crisp will be traded before Ellsbury/
I kinda think so too, but it'd be nice to see who plays well enough to deserve the position unless it deflates Coco's value on the market. Hopefully his age and his contract help us out if it comes to it...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #2293
All Star

OVR: 25

I don't think Ellsbury will be ready for the big leagues until 08 so its kind of moot right now. It's quite possible once he's ready that Manny isn't here but having 2/3rds of the outfield as guys who aren't big hitters seems unlikely in Boston unless they're getting power elsewhere.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #2294
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
I don't think Ellsbury will be ready for the big leagues until 08 so its kind of moot right now. It's quite possible once he's ready that Manny isn't here but having 2/3rds of the outfield as guys who aren't big hitters seems unlikely in Boston unless they're getting power elsewhere.
I agree. I think Ellsbury will be a good player but he only has about 100 at bats above A ball. He could get some at bats in September next year but I think that's about it. I still say they'd be crazy to trade him though. I'd rather move Coco and live with an outfield of Manny, Wily Mo, Trot for a year or two before trading Ellsbury. (Unless of course they're getting a young, big name player in return)

Like it or not, they're committed to the strategy of building around their minor leagues. I think the only trades they make with anything above a B prospect needs to get a young player in return like the Beckett deal did.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #2295
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I'd rather move Coco and live with an outfield of Manny, Wily Mo, Trot for a year or two before trading Ellsbury. (Unless of course they're getting a young, big name player in return).
Same with me...especially if the young, big name went by Miguel Cabrera. Otherwise, I think the Sox would love Ellsbury and Pedroia to book end the lineup in a few years, which is more than fine by me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #2296
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Has anyone noticed the numbers that Cla Meredith has been putting up in San Diego? He's who we traded with Josh Bard to get Mirabelli back.

1-1 1.23 era 16K 3Walks in 22.0 innings pitched, I would kill for those numbers to be in our bullpen and not to mention he's only 23... Why him, why not just money and Bard to get Mirabelli back...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »