Home

Old 08-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #2313
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

What? No go-ahead home run?

You're slacking Papi.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #2314
MVP

Wily Mo with the solid defense
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #2315
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

And there you have the reason why Pena is a net 0 impact player. His offense can appear specatcular at times (although I haven't seen him do anything but look woeful in nut crunching situations), but as great as his run creating ability is, he is horrific at preventing runs. Just cringe inducing, shake your head bad.

I recall a survey of all fans on Tangotiger last year which stated that Wily Mo was by far the worst defensive outfielder in all of baseball. I definitely believe that to be true as I have never seen a ball player look so poor in preventing runs.

When you have a defender like Manny in LF, I'm not sure you can afford to have a sieve out in spacious RF, despite the power dimension he adds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #2316
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
And there you have the reason why Pena is a net 0 impact player. His offense can appear specatcular at times (although I haven't seen him do anything but look woeful in nut crunching situations), but as great as his run creating ability is, he is horrific at preventing runs. Just cringe inducing, shake your head bad.

I recall a survey of all fans on Tangotiger last year which stated that Wily Mo was by far the worst defensive outfielder in all of baseball. I definitely believe that to be true as I have never seen a ball player look so poor in preventing runs.

When you have a defender like Manny in LF, I'm not sure you can afford to have a sieve out in spacious RF, despite the power dimension he adds.

To be fair that was his first major goof up in the field in a while. But yes, for the most part he is sh*t in the field.

That drop was absolutely incredible and couldn't have come at a worse time.

Hopefully the O's can scrape together a win.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #2317
All Star

OVR: 25

Wily Mo's offense the past couple of weeks has been great, game-breaking offense so I don't know where you've been. His defense hasn't been good of course outside his arm. I can't believe the official scorer gave Monroe a hit on that play.

Todd Jones is a perfect 2 for 2 in save opportunities this series. Shameful.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #2318
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Saying Willy Mo is the worst defensive outfielder in all of baseball is a bit of an extreme, not that I think he is going to win a gold glove or anything either. But I do think that he needs to concentrate more then he does. Once and awhile during the game they'll show Willy Mo and he'll be out there looking over at the fans and not paying attention to the game.

And his offense can only get better considering he has 2 great hitters to learn from in Manny and Ortiz and he is one of the strongest guys in the league But I think his strike zone is pretty big and he swings at a bunch of breaking balls that end up as balls, and when he struck out to end the game I thought that was a ball and then he called it a strike and I was surprised.

I think were gonna have to live with his sub-par defense and hopefully he can improve giving some playing time. Lets not forget how terrible he was earlier this year
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #2319
MVP

It's looking more and more like they're just going to play .500 ball for the rest of the year.

They can't seem to take it to the next level. These next 6 games are pretty much make or break.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #2320
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
Saying Willy Mo is the worst defensive outfielder in all of baseball is a bit of an extreme, not that I think he is going to win a gold glove or anything either. But I do think that he needs to concentrate more then he does.
Who is worse? I know I haven't seen anybody as bad in the last 4 years of watching baseball. He has no firm grasp of the fundamentals (kicking around grounders while transferring from the glove to his throwing arm), as all big leaguers do. Keep in mind that big leaguers should essentially succeed on all routine plays; Wily can't do this. Obviously, he can't make spectacular plays.

Please keep in mind that I am a huge Wily Mo fan and liked the trade when it was announced back in March. I consider all Wily Mo at bats must see. I am merely pointing out two massive flaws in his skill set: 1) unacceptable defensive skills, and 2) striking out on 3 pitches during all nut crunching situations (and yes, that K vs. Jones in the 9th last night was a travesty from the ump; nothing Pena could do there).

I am sure the Red Sox will perform a cost benefit analysis comparing Pena's anticipated offensive production over an entire season in RF vs. how many runs he will cost the team defensively. If I had to guess based on Theo's MO, they will choose to have Pena start in RF next year because he is "cost effective" and is valuable because of this.

Personally, I would prefer they spend money to bring Carlos Lee to Boston, but I don't expect them to do this. Of course, his defensive abilities also are questionable, so is the offensive upgrade from Pena to Lee worth the tens of millions more it will cost to sign Lee? I imagine Theo would say no, but I'd like to see them do this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »