Home

Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #2321
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

The series against the Yankees is a must-win. By this I mean winning 3 out of the 5 games we play agianst them. If we do that, no matter what happens before Friday we can still be 3 or 3.5 games out. I don't see it as a 'make-or-break' type series, that phrase si thrown around way too much here. It could turn into one if we got swept or lost 4 games, but as long as we win 3 or more then it stays a heated race.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #2322
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL
The series against the Yankees is a must-win. By this I mean winning 3 out of the 5 games we play agianst them. If we do that, no matter what happens before Friday we can still be 3 or 3.5 games out. I don't see it as a 'make-or-break' type series, that phrase si thrown around way too much here. It could turn into one if we got swept or lost 4 games, but as long as we win 3 or more then it stays a heated race.

With the way things have been going/they've been playing, 3 might be a bit much.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #2323
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCHILL

I'd say its definitly "break" if the Yankees sweep or take 4 of 5. And as it stands, the Sox are 4 back in the loss column. If Detroit sweeps (and I expect them to with Verlander on the mound tonight against Wells) and the Yankees win tonight the Sox will be 5 back in the loss column and then 7 back if the Yankees take 3 out of 5 over the long weekend. This series could easily end the season for the Red Sox because the Yankees aren't going to blow a 7 game lead with only a month and a half left.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #2324
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Who is worse? I know I haven't seen anybody as bad in the last 4 years of watching baseball. He has no firm grasp of the fundamentals (kicking around grounders while transferring from the glove to his throwing arm), as all big leaguers do. Keep in mind that big leaguers should essentially succeed on all routine plays; Wily can't do this. Obviously, he can't make spectacular plays.

Please keep in mind that I am a huge Wily Mo fan and liked the trade when it was announced back in March. I consider all Wily Mo at bats must see. I am merely pointing out two massive flaws in his skill set: 1) unacceptable defensive skills, and 2) striking out on 3 pitches during all nut crunching situations (and yes, that K vs. Jones in the 9th last night was a travesty from the ump; nothing Pena could do there).

I am sure the Red Sox will perform a cost benefit analysis comparing Pena's anticipated offensive production over an entire season in RF vs. how many runs he will cost the team defensively. If I had to guess based on Theo's MO, they will choose to have Pena start in RF next year because he is "cost effective" and is valuable because of this.

Personally, I would prefer they spend money to bring Carlos Lee to Boston, but I don't expect them to do this. Of course, his defensive abilities also are questionable, so is the offensive upgrade from Pena to Lee worth the tens of millions more it will cost to sign Lee? I imagine Theo would say no, but I'd like to see them do this.
Why cant they move Wily Mo to first and shift Youk around?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #2325
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Who is worse? I know I haven't seen anybody as bad in the last 4 years of watching baseball. He has no firm grasp of the fundamentals (kicking around grounders while transferring from the glove to his throwing arm), as all big leaguers do. Keep in mind that big leaguers should essentially succeed on all routine plays; Wily can't do this. Obviously, he can't make spectacular plays.

Please keep in mind that I am a huge Wily Mo fan and liked the trade when it was announced back in March. I consider all Wily Mo at bats must see. I am merely pointing out two massive flaws in his skill set: 1) unacceptable defensive skills, and 2) striking out on 3 pitches during all nut crunching situations (and yes, that K vs. Jones in the 9th last night was a travesty from the ump; nothing Pena could do there).

I am sure the Red Sox will perform a cost benefit analysis comparing Pena's anticipated offensive production over an entire season in RF vs. how many runs he will cost the team defensively. If I had to guess based on Theo's MO, they will choose to have Pena start in RF next year because he is "cost effective" and is valuable because of this.

Personally, I would prefer they spend money to bring Carlos Lee to Boston, but I don't expect them to do this. Of course, his defensive abilities also are questionable, so is the offensive upgrade from Pena to Lee worth the tens of millions more it will cost to sign Lee? I imagine Theo would say no, but I'd like to see them do this.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Matt Stairs and Johnny Gomes are worse. Its not really important though, since Pena is bad out there no matter if someone is worse than him. If he can learn to better judge balls of the bat and eliminate the mental mistakes, he can be passable in the field (though I'd rather have him in left field vs right but there's no way Manny could play right field at Fenway). The Lee suggestion is interesting, but creates a lot of questions. If they were to get someone like Carlos Lee, where does Pena go? He can judge balls of the bat much better in center than the corners, but he doesn't have great range in centerfield and would be a downgrade from Crisp. Ortiz has the DH on lockdown and Manny is left for a few more years. Someone would need to get dealt or Ortiz would have to play first, which would then mean Lowell is gone and Youk is at third. I feel like I'm playing a Franchise mode in a baseball sim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #2326
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't see the Sox signing Carlos Lee and I think were gonna have to deal with Willy Mo's sub par defense for years to come since he's only 24 and the sky is the limit for his offenseive potential so I don't see them leting him go. Lets not forget he has never been a full time starter so hopefully next year he can work on his defense.

And I'm not really thinkin the Sox are going to make the playoffs either . I guess we'll have a better idea in a week on our chances though...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #2327
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

2 run homerun by Ortiz to put us up 3-1.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #2328
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Off the top of my head, I'd say Matt Stairs and Johnny Gomes are worse. Its not really important though, since Pena is bad out there no matter if someone is worse than him. If he can learn to better judge balls of the bat and eliminate the mental mistakes, he can be passable in the field (though I'd rather have him in left field vs right but there's no way Manny could play right field at Fenway). The Lee suggestion is interesting, but creates a lot of questions. If they were to get someone like Carlos Lee, where does Pena go? He can judge balls of the bat much better in center than the corners, but he doesn't have great range in centerfield and would be a downgrade from Crisp. Ortiz has the DH on lockdown and Manny is left for a few more years. Someone would need to get dealt or Ortiz would have to play first, which would then mean Lowell is gone and Youk is at third. I feel like I'm playing a Franchise mode in a baseball sim.
To address deeman first, I don't think Pena is an option at 1B, because apparently they tried him there on his rehab assignment in AAA this year. The only result I heard from that experiment was: "The experiment ended quickly". I assume this meant Wily was atrocious at 1B as well.

This is the problem of having 3 DH's on the team, and yes, I realize there are worse problems to have than seeing Ortiz, Ramirez, and Pena in your everyday lineup. The focus here is defense.

To address Misfits post, I don't think you can enter 2007 with your defense in right field resting on learning how "read balls off the bat better" and making less mental errors. Maybe if they have the guy practice every day of the off season, but isn't reading balls off the bat more of an instinct type of thing? Why has Pena not learned to read balls better off the bat so far in 2006? I just don't think you can expect Pena to improve that much defensively as he's been in the big leagues for what, 4-5 years now? To me, what you see now is what you are going to get.

I'm probably sounding harsh on Pena here, but I am strongly opposed to seeing him as the starting right fielder in 2007. I really think it will hurt the team. Obviously, you can not move around Ramirez and Ortiz so I say they decline to offer Nixon arbitration (obviously), trade Wily Mo, and sign Carlos Lee! How crappy can Lee be in RF?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »