OVR: 17
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Patriots at 8:00 tonight, whos with me?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #2394
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop snorting PCP.

I predicted 8 ER, 4 IP by Beckett in the NY game thread today. Looks like I was being a bit generous. In reality, it was 9 ER, 5.2 IP.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #2395
All Star

OVR: 25

I wanna say I was surprised but I wasn't. I just had the game on in the background while I did stuff around the house not really caring what was going on. I'll probably end up watching cartoons tonight instead of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #2396
All Star

For all of the things that have gone wrong for this ballclub, I want to acknowlege something that did go right.

All over the media (talking heads on ESPN and Fox, print, local media) the so called experts are slamming the Red Sox for not trading away their young talent which is now not performing too well. I ask anyone who is giving this club flack for not dealing Lester, Hansen, etc. to propose a trade the Sox could have made with any of the previously stated that would have made a damn bit of difference right now. Any starter they could have acquired would not have fared any better than Johnson/Lester/Snyder. Who was out there? Livan Hernandez, Jamie Moyer, Kip Wells, Cory Lidle, etc. Those guys all suck and have no upside. Jon Lester may not be Francisco Liriano and his future is unknown, but there's a damn good chance he'll be better than any of those guys next year and for years to come. And those guys may not have even outperformed him the rest of the way in 2006. The best they could have done was trade for Barry Zito, who may or may not have stayed on for 2007 and beyond. And anyways, Zito isn't a good enough to pitcher to account for a 4 game deficit nor can he pitch the 7th and 8th inning on a day-to-day basis.

The Red Sox probably could have traded the young guys for Carlos Lee, Abreu, or Soriano but what good would that have really done? Yes the offense would improve but not by a whole lot. The only one in the outfield not performing up to those standards is Crisp but Manny and Wily Mo are performing better than expected. The add offense to cover up weak pitching appears to be working for the Yankees, but does anyone honestly feel like that can carry a team through to the World Series? When has that strategy ever worked to get a team a title? It is a sure-fire way to make the postseason most of the time, but beyond that it has consistently failed.

So in short, to all those lamenting what could have been in 2006 had the Red Sox made a deal at the deadline I say quit fooling yourself. There's nothing the Sox could have done that would have magically made them the best team in the American League. The only way this team could have had success is if Josh Beckett had pitched like an ace and Mike Timlin (or one of the young guys) could have bridged the gap to Papelbon consistently. If Beckett has a sub 3.80 ERA right now and someone is performing in the set-up role, the Red Sox are in first place, but that isn't the way things are and the deadline could not have solved those problems.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #2397
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24

Just dropped Beckett from my fantasy team. He hasn't had a solid start in a good while.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #2398
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
For all of the things that have gone wrong for this ballclub, I want to acknowlege something that did go right.

All over the media (talking heads on ESPN and Fox, print, local media) the so called experts are slamming the Red Sox for not trading away their young talent which is now not performing too well. I ask anyone who is giving this club flack for not dealing Lester, Hansen, etc. to propose a trade the Sox could have made with any of the previously stated that would have made a damn bit of difference right now. Any starter they could have acquired would not have fared any better than Johnson/Lester/Snyder. Who was out there? Livan Hernandez, Jamie Moyer, Kip Wells, Cory Lidle, etc. Those guys all suck and have no upside. Jon Lester may not be Francisco Liriano and his future is unknown, but there's a damn good chance he'll be better than any of those guys next year and for years to come. And those guys may not have even outperformed him the rest of the way in 2006. The best they could have done was trade for Barry Zito, who may or may not have stayed on for 2007 and beyond. And anyways, Zito isn't a good enough to pitcher to account for a 4 game deficit nor can he pitch the 7th and 8th inning on a day-to-day basis.

The Red Sox probably could have traded the young guys for Carlos Lee, Abreu, or Soriano but what good would that have really done? Yes the offense would improve but not by a whole lot. The only one in the outfield not performing up to those standards is Crisp but Manny and Wily Mo are performing better than expected. The add offense to cover up weak pitching appears to be working for the Yankees, but does anyone honestly feel like that can carry a team through to the World Series? When has that strategy ever worked to get a team a title? It is a sure-fire way to make the postseason most of the time, but beyond that it has consistently failed.

So in short, to all those lamenting what could have been in 2006 had the Red Sox made a deal at the deadline I say quit fooling yourself. There's nothing the Sox could have done that would have magically made them the best team in the American League. The only way this team could have had success is if Josh Beckett had pitched like an ace and Mike Timlin (or one of the young guys) could have bridged the gap to Papelbon consistently. If Beckett has a sub 3.80 ERA right now and someone is performing in the set-up role, the Red Sox are in first place, but that isn't the way things are and the deadline could not have solved those problems.
Great post. Now if only all of the "other" Red Sox fans in the world would realize this. Were giving up 1 year in order to make all of our future teams better, I can deal with that. People expect all of our rookies to perform like Papelbon who is putting up All-Star numbers as a rookie and is extremely rare.

They need to remember that Beckett is 26, Delcarmen is 24, Hansen is 22, Lester is 22, Papelbon is 25, Crisp is 26, Willy Mo is 24, and even Youkilis is 27. Having all of these guys enter there prime at the same time is kind of scary once they reach there full potential. People have to realize that this team isn't this bad and we can only get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbzilla558
Just dropped Beckett from my fantasy team. He hasn't had a solid start in a good while.
Thank you, I don't think any of us have notcied...
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #2399
MVP

OVR: 15

I understand not wanting to trade any of the young chips for a rental piece.

And I agree that their really was no player on the market at the deadline that would have turned the tide for the Red Sox this year.

But I don't agree with the notion that "Ah..Well it's a transition year, whatever happens happens." They're spending 120 million. They are getting great years from Schilling, Papi, and Manny. They aren't going to get any younger.

It would have been nice to see them seize the moment a little more. But no one really could have predicted what would happen to Wells (maybe you could) Clement and Foulke.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #2400
All Star

I agree about the transition thing, but there was nothing that could be done. If Clemens or Oswalt was really available I'd have given up a Delcarmen, Hansen, or Pedroia for him (probably not Lester in the case of Clemens, hard to give up a young starter for a 3 month rental) but not Livan Hernandez or Cory Lidle. That would just be dumb. There was just no deal that could make up for Beckett's horrid season. The Red Sox have been lacking a strong 1-2 presense at the front of the rotation ever since the end of 2004.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »