Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #2553
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

I agree with camulos, the Bard deal was a panic move. I was willing to give him a chance for a good month or so but oh well. He's playing over his head in SD, but still he's better than Mirabelli at this point. They need a better backup or a young guy who could possibly take over full-time since Tek isn't getting any younger and wasn't exactly knocking out the light towers before he got hurt. And whoever they bring in doesn't necessarily need to be Wakefield's catcher. If Varitek is catching Wakefield all spring he'll get comfortable enough that he can do it. Varitek caught Wakefield most of the time in 2002 and that was perhaps Wakefield's best season of his career.

I'd like to see Papelbon in the rotation, but I don't see anyone out there who could close unless Hansen can take a huge step forward next year. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox target Ted Lilly as a fifth starter. He's not an amazing pitcher by any stetch of the imagination but he's good enough as a number 5 guy and shouldn't command Clement money. I kind of hope they don't target Julio Lugo because someone is going to overpay for him big time. Gonzalez and Loretta are both expendable, but I don't know who could fill the hole at short. My ideal lineup/rotation for next year:

1B Youkilis
CF Crisp
DH Ortiz
LF Manny
RF Pena
C Varitek
3B Lowell
2B Pedroia
SS Gonzalez

Schilling
Beckett
Wakefield
Lester
Lilly

CL - Papelbon

If Aramis Ramirez hits the free agent market the Sox should make a run at him. Mike Lowell may be a clubhouse leader and a good guy, but he doesn't bring much to the plate.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #2554
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

I think Hansen has a very good future at closer its just the fact that they rushed him up through the minors this year. He has a great fastball and a great slider all he needs to do is work on his control and build some confidence. So hopefully he can do a good job next year because I think he's our closer of the future. Maybe he needs to be in an actual closer role to do good? Who knows.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #2555
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Speaking of young catchers Misfit, it looks like the Sox have targeted Padres prospect, George Kottaras in their attempts to move Wells...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2566883

That's a fairly high prospect folks, fresh off a Futures Game appearance and # 2 in their system at the beginning of the season ahead of Barfield in BA's handbook.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #2556
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
I think Hansen has a very good future at closer its just the fact that they rushed him up through the minors this year. He has a great fastball and a great slider all he needs to do is work on his control and build some confidence. So hopefully he can do a good job next year because I think he's our closer of the future. Maybe he needs to be in an actual closer role to do good? Who knows.
I doubt throwing him in the closers role would help him in the least. He seemed to be imploding in middle relief of games that weren't exactly close, and late and close games. He just wasn't that good, which can be attributed to how quickly he was brought up from the minors.

Quote:
Speaking of young catchers Misfit, it looks like the Sox have targeted Padres prospect, George Kottaras in their attempts to move Wells...
That's best Red Sox news in a while. We've needed a solid prospect at catcher for a while now (it seems pretty evident that the RS FO wasn't fond of Shoppach). Even better that all we have to do is get a premiere prospect like this one is give up David Wells and pay for a flight that can haul his fat *** over to San Diego.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-31-2006, 01:00 AM   #2557
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
According to the Boston Herald, Jon Lester has been undergoing an array of exams in Boston for internal medical issues, including cancer.
Now it's past the point at which even we can joke about Boston's injury situation. The Red Sox can't discuss it, but Lester was diagnosed with enlarged lymph nodes, according to the Herald's sources. Such a symptom can be caused by an array of issues, from infections to cancer. The Red Sox had hoped his upper back issues were a minor problem caused by a recent car accident. Aug. 31 - 12:39 am et
This is truly mind blowing.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 AM   #2558
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17
Unhappy Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Yea I hope he is ok. You never want to see that happen to someone.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #2559
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Wow...hopefully Lester is okay.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:16 AM   #2560
Rookie

OVR: 4

every day its something new. i hope his tests come back negative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »