Home

Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #2609
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

It is now official.

I hate the Josh Beckett era.

Good job, Theo, Ben, and Jed. [end EEI-like overreaction]
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #2610
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
It is now official.

I hate the Josh Beckett era.

Good job, Theo, Ben, and Jed. [end EEI-like overreaction]
Radio reaction aside, I think it's fair to say that Theo and his boys need to step up this offseason. If we were going to settle for this team as it is now, we'd probably be better off keeping those two Marlins and one Indian ... since that would have accomplished the same thing - rebuilding, and with a smaller payroll. I don't envy the pressure to compete in Boston and how it conflicts with establishing a long term plan, but the disappointing performances coupled with some big seasons for those departing doesn't really work for me.

(Disclaimer: CWood did not just say the Beckett deal was a mistake based on an Anibal Sanchez no hitter. )
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #2611
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

The best part of that deal is the man playing 3rd base.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #2612
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Beckett is and always was overrated to me. I never truly thought he was a great pitcher. He can be great at times but to inconsistent to be considered great.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #2613
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets
The best part of that deal is the man playing 3rd base.
You mean the part we didn't want... that didn't help my front office, did it?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #2614
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Radio reaction aside, I think it's fair to say that Theo and his boys need to step up this offseason. If we were going to settle for this team as it is now, we'd probably be better off keeping those two Marlins and one Indian ... since that would have accomplished the same thing - rebuilding, and with a smaller payroll. I don't envy the pressure to compete in Boston and how it conflicts with establishing a long term plan, but the disappointing performances coupled with some big seasons for those departing doesn't really work for me.

(Disclaimer: CWood did not just say the Beckett deal was a mistake based on an Anibal Sanchez no hitter. )
Definitely.

An infield of Marte, Hanley, Pedrioa, Youk, would be a nice way to save money. Although light on power, it would leave us enough salary space to pick up a heavy hitter that might be a liability down the line... Like a Carlos Lee.

Edit again: Would the offices at Fenway be on fire right now had Lowell completely bombed this year?
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

Last edited by Thrasha; 09-06-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #2615
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

Buster Olney kindly pointing out how much we suck at trades and assessing talent lately on Baseball Tonight right now... I think the Bard/Meredith trade to bring back Doug kinda sums it up on a smaller scale.

Similarly though, I think overpaying Carlos Lee would be somewhat of a panic move. I wouldn't want an all rookie infield either, and truthfully, we couldn't get away with it like we couldn't get away with NOT getting someone like Beckett to back Schill or a centerfielder when Stern was the guy before the games began. That doesn't make Josh or Coco any better, or the guys we gave up any worse, so I guess I can rule out being of any help to Theo.

Mix in the returning pressure to trade Manny after his "knee problems" (which would be a disaster) and a barren FA class... and you increase the pressure to make more big moves that could very well backfire. And as Moneyball pointed out when it was working for us, you lose when your hand is forced. Again, no hate towards Theo, Larry, or any of the key players who may or may not be working well together, but they've really got their work cut out for them this time as the blind faith many of us have extended runs out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #2616
Rookie

OVR: 4

It's the risk you take when you pull off a deal. The prospects the Sox dealt had no major league expirence. When you try to keep with the other teams in your division (Yankees- Damon; Blue Jays- Burnett) it's the risk you have to take. You know what you get out of Beckett. He is a major league pitcher who has an up down career. He is also young. Lowell is a gold glove third basemen who is coming off a lack lust year at the plate. Lowell suprised the AL with his offense. Beckett lived up to his ups and downs. Let's say we didn't make the deal, would the Sox be better? What would happen if the Hanley and Annibal was still in Triple A? Maybe the Yankees could have got Beckett for Philip Hughes and other prospects at the deadline if the Sox didn't trade for him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »