Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #2625
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_sports_rule
Is Coco going to be a one year player for the Sox?
I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him in a Renteria type deal. Obviously if you can package him for a premeir CF, I'd do it but it's not like we have a plethora of CF's waiting in the wings to take Coco's place.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #2626
Rookie

OVR: 4

Do we go after Andruw Jones again. It's going to cost us Hansen, Crisp and most likely another top level prospect.

I think we are going to look into trading Manny again. I feel that Angels will be the best place for him and for us the prospects over there are MLB ready.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #2627
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_sports_rule
Do we go after Andruw Jones again. It's going to cost us Hansen, Crisp and most likely another top level prospect.

I think we are going to look into trading Manny again. I feel that Angels will be the best place for him and for us the prospects over there are MLB ready.
Assuming Andruw Jones would waive his 10/5 rights, which is a big assumption considering he's played his entire career in Atlanta, I think you'd have to give Coco, Hansen and probably a prospect you got from the Angels in a Manny trade. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Andruw Jones is a decent player, but he doesn't come anywhere near replacing Manny's bat and he's only under contract through 2007, while Manny and Coco are both here through 2009 if we pick up Manny's option. Not to mention, you're giving up about 150 points of OPS between Manny and Jones.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #2628
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
I agree with most of your points, but not this one. The Curt Schilling trade was impressive because they were incredibly proactive about getting it done. They went out, before the Yankees did anything, made the offer to Arizona, flew out to Schilling's home in Arizona, then worked tirelessly over the holiday to get him to accept a contract extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. This is impressive work, and to me, is by no means trivial as you kind of make it seem in your post. I suppose if you were arguing in terms of talent given up (Fossum, De la Rosa, Lyon, and Goss), then it might seem like a joke in hindsight, but how can you pin blame on the Red Sox for fleecing Arizona?

In addition, everybody seemed to be hot and heavy after Javier Vazquez and Bartolo Colon at the time. I don't think anybody (the press, fans) even thought of acquiring Schilling until the rumors of the trade started spreading. The baseball ops team has made some questionable moves since the World Series, but I don't think you can go back and paint the Schilling transaction with a revisionist brush like that.

Also Foulke, who proved he was worth his high salary in 2004 as a premiere ace reliever.

My main point with the Schilling and Foulke comment was that you knew what you were getting. They were two of the best players at their respective positions in baseball.

You're point about how the RS FO went about acquiring Schill is spot on, but all I meant was that it wasn't as if pulled a rabbit out of their collective hats acquisitions of each of those players.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 09-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #2629
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Assuming Andruw Jones would waive his 10/5 rights, which is a big assumption considering he's played his entire career in Atlanta, I think you'd have to give Coco, Hansen and probably a prospect you got from the Angels in a Manny trade. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Andruw Jones is a decent player, but he doesn't come anywhere near replacing Manny's bat and he's only under contract through 2007, while Manny and Coco are both here through 2009 if we pick up Manny's option. Not to mention, you're giving up about 150 points of OPS between Manny and Jones.
Yep.

I honestly wouldn't want to touch Andruw Jones with a 40 foot pole at this point.

Granted he's had a spike in his offensive production the past couple years, he just seems like someone that's going to have steep decline in defense after so many years of divings and crashing in to walls.

I remember hearing/reading something about his shoulders being in pretty bad shape because of all the years of hard play in CF.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 09-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #2630
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Yep.

I honestly wouldn't want to touch Andruw Jones with a 40 foot pole at this point.

Granted he's had a spike in his offensive production the past couple years, he just seems like someone that's going to have steep decline in defense after so many years of divings and crashing in to walls.

I remember hearing/reading something about his shoulders being in pretty bad shape because of all the years of hard play in CF.
I wouldn't even say he's had a spike in offensive production. The 52 HR year seems to be an outlier at this point, since he's gona right back to his typical career numbers. Andruw Jones is a guy who's gonna give you a .260/.350/.500 line and play very good CF defense... but an .850 OPS doesn't even crack the top 50 these days.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #2631
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Andruw Jones is a guy who's gonna give you a .260/.350/.500 line and play very good CF defense... but an .850 OPS doesn't even crack the top 50 these days.
As a CF taken into account it does. If it is to replace Manny Ramirez, then yes, you are correct, it's not acceptable. If we can keep Manny, and add Jones to hit 5th, that would be acceptable. Problem is, you'd have to give up Hansen, Coco, and a Bucholz/Bowden type.

You all know that Hansen would dominate in the NL in 2007 though, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #2632
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

I dont' think that you can really compare this year to anything. There were just so many people that got injured or were inconsistant. Just look who has been are starting pitchers the last couple of days.

Players that were on the DL

Gonzalez
Pena
Crisp
Nixon
Varitek
Clement
Foulke
Wells
Wakefield
Lester

People that were injured for a little while but didn't go on the DL

Manny
Ortiz
Lowell
Loretta
Mirabelli
Papelbon
Honorable Mention to Youk and Loretta

People who were inconsistent

Beckett
Hansen
Delcarmen
Timlin

Disappointments

Tavarez
Seanez

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »