Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #2681
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Well technically its a no-hitter...

Odd way for the season to end. Not that anyone was watching with the Patriots on.
I was. I wanted to see Trot Nixon's (likely) last game on the Red Sox. He got a nice ovation before his at bat to lead off the lineup, and an even nicer ovation as Francona removed him from the game in the top of the 5th inning.

Because of how poorly the 2nd half of the season went, this season will be looked upon with disdain. It is important to remember, however, that this was a really fun team to watch in the first half of the season. In fact, this was one of my most enjoyed Red Sox teams to watch because they played great defense, had solid pitching, and hit fairly well. Beckett was actually pretty exciting to watch at the beginning of the season. Papelbon was unbelievable, and Ortiz kept on hitting those walk off homers. It's going to seriously suck that there are no more Red Sox games for months now, but this happens to me every year. And every year I ultimately arrive upon Bart Giamatti's superb quote on the bitterness at the end of the season:

Quote:
"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #2682
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein confirmed Sunday that Jonathan Papelbon would enter spring training as a starting pitcher.

Epstein said that it's the opinion of the medical staff that the switch would be the best thing for Papelbon's long-term health. A rotation including Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Papelbon and Tim Wakefield looks good on paper, but the Red Sox will have to add quality relievers and there are few out there in free agency. The club could look to take a chance on Eric Gagne or Kerry Wood, but it could use a couple of sure things, too. Oct. 1 - 8:36 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=195016&spln=1

How do Red Sox fans think about this?
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #2683
MVP

OVR: 15

I'd prefer him to stay in the closers role.

I don't know the actual mathematical calculations as to what innings are more important etc. But when he stepped on the mound in the ninth inning, I felt like the game was over.

Keith Foulke was great in 04, but I just had a different vibe from Paps.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #2684
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

I think it's good. He'll be able to pitch more innings and hopefully be able to help us out more.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #2685
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
I think it's good. He'll be able to pitch more innings and hopefully be able to help us out more.
He might help you out more being able to pitch every day or every other day as opposed to once every five days.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #2686
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I'd prefer him in the starters role. Granted, the closer pitches in a lot of important situations but how many games in the second half were over before it even got to him. If you don't have a good rotation, you're not gonna have a good team. Also, if they think it's gonna keep him healthier it's a no brainer.

In other news the Red Sox aren't renewing Ron Jackson or Dave Wallace. I'm not surprised about Wallace but I thought Papa Jack was here to stay.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #2687
MVP

OVR: 14

I'm not so surprised about Papa Jack being gone. Our hitters seemed to go into way too prolonged slumps this year. A good hitting coach will find the flaw and fix it.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #2688
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

For those in the Boston area, how serious is this whole taking down the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square?

I'd seriously be pissed off if they decided to take it down.
What I'm Currently Listening To

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »