Home

Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #2713
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

They didn't raise MOST ticket prices. The real expensive seats will be more expensive. I bet the Monster and Right Field Roof seats go up in price too.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #2714
Rookie

OVR: 4

Gonzo got robbed for the gold glove.

I also think the Sox are really quite on the Matsuzaka. I think he still will go to the Yankees.

I see Zito goes to the Mets
Matsuzaka to the Yankees

I still think Mulder should get a looked at by the Sox. He is a former AL pitcher so I think he would be able to pitch in the AL. Schmidt sort of scares me because of the Clement transition. Not that I am comparing the two but I don't think that Schmidt would but it might.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #2715
Rookie

OVR: 5

I figured Zito would go West Coast. The whole Matsuzaka, or however you say it, just baffles me. Estimates of upwards of $20 Mil just to negotiate?

Nomar's homer off Pedro. Those four words just shouldn't go together. Not even on a day like 6/6/6. ~Bill Simmons
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #2716
Rookie

OVR: 4

Zito stated he wouldn't mind playing in New York.

Sox have many different issues to address.

Clement
Coco
2nd base
SS
SP
RP
Closer

Last edited by boston_sports_rule; 11-06-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #2717
MVP

OVR: 15

As much as I'd like to see the Red Sox bring in some high profile guys, I'd prefer they don't this off-season if you know what I mean.

Julio Lugo nor Barry Zito inspire anything in me to think that they would be able make the difference this team needs in relation to their actual cost.

One thing I've thought about the past couple days is, has Youk played any second base? If their was any shot of him being adequate over there, I'd be happy to deal Pedrioa for some bullpen relief.

If 1B was opened up then maybe Pena could slide over to first, Papi-ManRam-WMP is a pretty sweet 3-4-5...
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #2718
All Star

OVR: 25

They tried Pena at first down at Pawtucket briefly. Apparently, results were not good at all and the idea was scrapped rather quickly.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #2719
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
They tried Pena at first down at Pawtucket briefly. Apparently, results were not good at all and the idea was scrapped rather quickly.
Yikes. I somewhat remember reading something about that now.

This FO/team seems somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #2720
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Yikes. I somewhat remember reading something about that now.

This FO/team seems somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I agree. I honestly don't see much the team can do before the 2007 season to turn this team into a World Series contender. I look at the roster, and aside from David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, and Jonathan Papelbon, I see nobody who provides high quality production at any position.

I think the Beckett trade absolutely killed them. It made all the sense in the world at the time, and their logic at the time seems rational (despite the knee jerk characteristics of the move depicted in Feeding the Monster), but Beckett has not produced. I honestly don't see anything more the front office could have done to improve the pitching staff, with Beckett in mind. Not many people were accurate soothsayers at the time and saying how Beckett would be a 5.00 ERA gopherball pitcher. He has to improve vs. the American League next year, otherwise they have no chance.

Likewise, they have positioned themselves very poorly in the outfield with literally no corner outfield talent coming out of the system since...Trot Nixon himself in the mid 90's? I do not want to see Wily Mo Pena starting in RF on opening day, but who else is out there? Maybe J.D. Drew opts out and they could sign him. That would be enormous IMO. I've been beating the Carlos Lee drum here. I think he would also be acceptable. I don't want to see them end up signing Nixon to a 1 year contract and watch him go on to slug .470. They need a legitimate powerful #5 hitter.

Then you look at the bullpen. That part of the team literally makes me feel sick. Here's what it looks like right now:

Closer - ?
Setup #1 - Timlin
Setup #2 - ?
Middle Relief - Hansen, Delcarmen, Tavarez

Wow. That's horrid. Again, they need a relief ace/closer. They need a #1 power setup guy. Timlin can't be that #1 setup guy. Who's it gonna be? I don't know who they can get aside from Gagne, who himself has gigantic question marks.

Obviously I hope they somehow piece together a contender in 2007, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's too bad, because they are pissing away the prime of the Ortiz - Ramirez combination in the middle of the order.

Last edited by GBrushTWood; 11-09-2006 at 07:40 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »