Home

Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #2721
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Well Drew did opt out.

It might be early, and his value seems as high as it could be at the moment, so I'd try and trade Pena.

His power is something that would be great for this team, but that would leave us with 3 DH's, two manning the outfield. Way too much liability.

With the bullpen, I think it'll be staying the course with Hansen and Delcarmen. Possibly adding Gagne or Lidge in hopes of one of those Papi like return on your initial investment.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #2722
Rookie

OVR: 4

I really see the Sox dealing a bat (Willy Mo) for Lidge in Houston. I think Theo like Drew. I still think we could trade Lowell.

There is always the talk of Roger going back to Boston. I have no idea who won the bidding for Datsuike.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #2723
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

It will take more than Wily Mo Pena to obtain Lidge from Houston. A lot more.

If Tim Purpura sent an open request to all MLB GM's to place their best bid on Brad Lidge, I'm positive he would see better offers than Wily Mo Pena. Pena and Hansen?

Besides, if the Red Sox sign J.D. Drew, then Pena is a good option as a 4th outfielder, because one of Ramirez, Crisp, and Drew would go down during the season. Probably for a while.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #2724
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Posted this in the Matsuazuka thread as well...

The Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported, citing Major League Baseball sources.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But Olney is reporting that the Red Sox may have posted the top bid with a figure between $38 million and $45 million, according to Major League Baseball officials who are monitoring the bidding.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

That's an absurd amount of money if true.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #2725
MVP

Foulke has declined his option for 07.

Really sad way to see Foulke leave. He was such a huge piece to the 2004 puzzle and everything went downhill from there.

I suppose he's sick of Boston and the fans. And rightly so.

Thanks for everything Keith.

Have fun playing for the Diamondbacks.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #2726
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Posted this in the Matsuazuka thread as well...

The Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported, citing Major League Baseball sources.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But Olney is reporting that the Red Sox may have posted the top bid with a figure between $38 million and $45 million, according to Major League Baseball officials who are monitoring the bidding.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

That's an absurd amount of money if true.

I hate the thoughts of sinking this much into Matsuzaka. It's way too much of a risk than a reward.

Granted this guy could be the one of the great things in baseball... Or he could be Hideki Irabu.

The luxury tax marker was raised though, and the ownership might be willing throw around a lot of money to try and make up for the botched abortion that 2006 turned in to.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #2727
Rookie

OVR: 4

Not a bad starting five. I wonder if they still go after Clemens before NYY does and move Wake in the bullpen?

Schill
Beckett
Datsuike
Wakefield
Papelbon
Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #2728
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_sports_rule
Not a bad starting five. I wonder if they still go after Clemens before NYY does and move Wake in the bullpen?

Schill
Beckett
Datsuike
Wakefield
Papelbon
I wouldn't put more than a split-second passing thought on Clemens coming to Boston for the 07 season.

That's more wishful thinking, or torture for other Sox fans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »