Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #2737
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

A-Gon is gone to Cinci. Maybe Lugo or a trade for ss (hopefully Young is available).
Old 11-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #2738
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

With all these insane contracts being shelled out left and right, I wonder how high we're willing to go on JD Drew and Julio Lugo? My initial thoughts... it looks like Coco Crisp, Matt Clement, Wily Mo Pena, and the rest of our underachieving newcomers are now "bargains" by comparison! And Mike Lowell was gaining some trade interest even before this explosion of spending, so maybe we need to explore some trades instead of competing in an insane free agent market? We know Drew & Lugo can't replace Manny, plus we'll LOSE financial flexibility. And after the Matthews signing, I'm not sure we could get both Santana and Wood along with a pitcher.

And the same way Manny's stock has risen, maybe Andruw Jones is able to be acquired for slightly less since the Braves can all but kiss him goodbye if the market doesn't do a 180 by next year? That's not to say we should make a push for him specifically, but there's got to be some guys out there that make more sense than the inflated free agents. Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #2739
Rookie

With GMJ signing with LAA I think we can count them out of all Manny talk. I really would want a trade with Texas but there is no way they will get rid of Young or Texiera. Maybe a trade with Houston where we trade Willy Mo and others for Lidge. We keep Manny to see what we can get at the deadline in August.

I believe JD Drew will be signed by a team once Carlos Lee signs.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:45 AM   #2740
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

I think the Angels are probably still interested in getting Manny even thought they sign GMJ. They're looking for someone to protect Vlad and GMJ isn't exactly that guy.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #2741
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
With all these insane contracts being shelled out left and right, I wonder how high we're willing to go on JD Drew and Julio Lugo? My initial thoughts... it looks like Coco Crisp, Matt Clement, Wily Mo Pena, and the rest of our underachieving newcomers are now "bargains" by comparison! And Mike Lowell was gaining some trade interest even before this explosion of spending, so maybe we need to explore some trades instead of competing in an insane free agent market? We know Drew & Lugo can't replace Manny, plus we'll LOSE financial flexibility. And after the Matthews signing, I'm not sure we could get both Santana and Wood along with a pitcher.

And the same way Manny's stock has risen, maybe Andruw Jones is able to be acquired for slightly less since the Braves can all but kiss him goodbye if the market doesn't do a 180 by next year? That's not to say we should make a push for him specifically, but there's got to be some guys out there that make more sense than the inflated free agents. Thoughts?
I say no on JD Drew and hope the Sox end their pursuit of him. He's just going to get hurt. Wily Mo will get on base less and play a worse right field but at least he'll play. The Sox are a better team with Manny but I know they wish to move him. It's so hard to move him right now though because there isn't a comparable bat out there to replace him with. If they wanted to go after Tejada again that would be suitable, but I can't think of much else. They would likely have to settle for a young pitcher and a good but not Manny-level hitter in exchange for him. Now if they do trade him for pitching then they will need Drew. The only good thing to acquiring a guy like Drew would be that he could play center, allowing either Wily Mo or Coco to switch to left. I think Coco would be great in left, but that would mean leaving Pena in right. Pena could be very good in left (he'd probably pick up some assists with the short throws he'd be able to make) but then the Sox would have Coco's weak arm in right. They're probably better off with him in center so long as a liability like Ramirez and Pena are out there. As for Andrew Jones, he's Wily Mo with a bit more power and great defense. The Sox need someone who will work the count and get on base, not a hacker.

I'd still like to see the Sox get Lugo. He'd be a good hitter at Fenway and could lead-off, putting either Coco or Youk in the number 2 spot where both guys could flourish (Youk may be more valuable hitting lower in the order to provide some clutch hitting once pitchers get past Ortiz and Ramirez).

As for the closer spot, who knows? Baez doesn't instill much confidence and Gagne is a question mark. If they can get Gagne and sign him to a deal that makes sense then I'm all for it but outside of those two there isn't anyone on the market. And I don't know of any closers who are available via trade. I know Scott Shields name has been thrown around. Another factor in the Manny trade scenarios is that this team no longer needs a starter (assuming Matsuzaka is signed). Shields and Wood for Manny is a no-brainer for Anaheim, and the Sox would have to try and get a little more than those two for a slugger of Manny's ability.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #2742
Rookie

I think it is only Texas that really needs a power bat in the line up. I would really like to get Young or maybe some top level pitching prospects.

I think the Sox could also look at Erstad for the RF. Him and Willy Mo can play there. Erstad and Willy Mo can play CF.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #2743
MVP

OVR: 15

I think Theo would sooner slash his wrists than have Erstad being his starting anything in 07 or any other year.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #2744
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

I feel really strongly about this: Wily Mo Pena penciled in as anything more than 4th outfielder in 2007 is folly. We can agree to disagree, but I truly feel that Pena, in 2007, is not a suitable option as a starting outfielder on a championship contending ball club.

If they are contending for a championship in 2007, then they can not afford to have literally the worst defender in baseball manning one of the spots. He is going to be a butcher out there and hemorrhage runs away from the pitching staff. In addition, I think some here may be disregarding Pena's healthy history as well. He's not exactly the model for durability and can not be expected to play in 145+ games.

If they are not planning to contend for a title in 2007, then it is understandable to try Pena in one of the spots. He will assuredly be horrible defensively, but the rationale for at least attempting to see if he can improve there is sound. I want to see them develop and harness his impressive raw talent as much as anybody, but in order to do that, you have to be willing to experience the growing pains that are inherent in maturation. Most in Boston are not, and Pena, Epstein, and Francona will all be skewered when he is responsible for costing them games.

My two cents here? You try to trade him to get Lidge. If that means giving up Bowden and/or Bucholz, so be it. Of course, the Astros look like they don't need Pena now after signing Lee.

Honestly, these decisions are really not trivial by any means. There are legitimate arguments to be made for every side. I'm glad I don't have to make these choices, because there's a high probability of it blowing up in one's face. I know I don't have the answers here. Some good turn of luck would be great now for the Red Sox organization..

We have to pray they can sign Drew. I personally do not care if they overpay for him. He will probably be a cripple by the end of whatever contract he signs, but his addition makes them a better baseball team in 2007.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »