Home

Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #2745
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Word around baseball is that Manny will be traded, making a JD Drew signing a virtual necessity. At least with Drew out there, they can hide Pena in left where he will, at the very least, be Manny's equal defensively. I don't care what Drew's OPS has been over the last few years though, he can't replace Manny's bat and the Sox are going to have to add another guy (Lugo?) to somewhat lessen the hit their offense will take by dumping Manny.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #2746
MVP

OVR: 14

I think Pena will be a servicable starter next year... .280+ 30HR+ 110RBI+, if he starts. If you put up that production... you can be a less-than average outfielder. I can deal with 4-5 errors in LF from Pena if he puts up those stats.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #2747
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXperiment63
I think Pena will be a servicable starter next year... .280+ 30HR+ 110RBI+, if he starts. If you put up that production... you can be a less-than average outfielder. I can deal with 4-5 errors in LF from Pena if he puts up those stats.
Yep I think that Pena will only improve if he is given a lot of playing time. But it is going to be hard to replace Manny's bat in the line up. But I guess you have to look at the fact that he's getting older and he might start breaking down and if were going to get rid of him now's the time because he is worth alot. Hopefully if we trade him we can get some very good prospects for him.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #2748
Rookie

OVR: 4

Buster Onley said on the Red Sox Hot Stove show that Drew will be signed on or after Dec 1st to see if the Dodgers are going to offer Drew arbitration. Then you would know if the Sox are going to have to give them a draft pick.

He said that the Manny talk in SF Giants but don't see them willing to cough up the prospects. I read on Ben Maller that the Giants and Sox are trying to get a 3 way trade (I hope Atlanta). He said if the Sox really want to get rid of Manny they might have to do a deal like the Yanks got for Sheff (A couple of B+ Prospects)

The Sox are offering 8-9 Million for Mats. He said Boras might go to the Lions to get some money to be include in the Boston Offer. Buster believes the Sox will get a deal down because Boras cannot bring him back to Japan because other potential players will not sign with him because he couldn't get Mats a contract.

The Sox and Yanks are on the list for Greg Zaun.

Recap

Most likely Drew
Manny talks are with the SF Giants right now
Mats will come down to the wire.

Last edited by boston_sports_rule; 11-27-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #2749
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Really? That's interesting, but based on what prior production can you expect that output? Let's look at Pena's injury history from 2005-2006:

Sep 22, 2006: Missed 3 games (right quadricep).
Sep 19, 2006: Right quadricep, day-to-day.
Sep 2, 2006: Missed 7 games (wrist injury).
Aug 26, 2006: Wrist injury, day-to-day.
Jul 18, 2006: Missed 45 games (left wrist injury).
May 28, 2006: Left wrist injury, 15-day DL.
May 24, 2006: Missed 2 games (left wrist injury).
May 22, 2006: Left wrist injury, day-to-day.
Oct 2, 2005: Missed 4 games to the end of the regular season (back injury).
Oct 1, 2005: Back injury, day-to-day.
Aug 15, 2005: Missed 3 games (wrist injury).
Aug 13, 2005: Wrist injury, day-to-day.
Jun 7, 2005: Missed 31 games (strained left quadriceps).
May 9, 2005: Strained left quadriceps, 15-day DL (retroactive to May 3th).
Apr 25, 2005: Missed 1 game (quadricep injury).
Apr 24, 2005: Quadricep injury, day-to-day.

The point here is that you can't expect Pena to give you 500-600 at bats. Combine that with his terrible defense, and it is a horrible idea to go into the season with him at any starting OF position.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #2750
MVP

OVR: 15

Out of curiosity GBrush: Why are you pro over-paying for Drew if we have to, just to get him here, but (from what I recall) you were against doing the same for Damon?

Personally Johnny's contract is looking like a dream compared to what they are having to throw at Drew at this point. I know hindsight.... yah yah yah... But what exactly is promising about Drew?

From everything I've read about him, he's a guy that gets fluke injuries, that may or may not mean he is injury prone, plays nonchalant ball, and could very well collapse under the pressure of playing in Boston?

Granted he's put up good numbers in a large market like LA but that's still nothing compared to the boiler room that the AL East is.

Latest I read on Wily Mo was Bowden was speaking to the Sox about swapping Pena for Chad Cordero.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #2751
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Really? That's interesting, but based on what prior production can you expect that output? Let's look at Pena's injury history from 2005-2006:

Sep 22, 2006: Missed 3 games (right quadricep).
Sep 19, 2006: Right quadricep, day-to-day.
Sep 2, 2006: Missed 7 games (wrist injury).
Aug 26, 2006: Wrist injury, day-to-day.
Jul 18, 2006: Missed 45 games (left wrist injury).
May 28, 2006: Left wrist injury, 15-day DL.
May 24, 2006: Missed 2 games (left wrist injury).
May 22, 2006: Left wrist injury, day-to-day.
Oct 2, 2005: Missed 4 games to the end of the regular season (back injury).
Oct 1, 2005: Back injury, day-to-day.
Aug 15, 2005: Missed 3 games (wrist injury).
Aug 13, 2005: Wrist injury, day-to-day.
Jun 7, 2005: Missed 31 games (strained left quadriceps).
May 9, 2005: Strained left quadriceps, 15-day DL (retroactive to May 3th).
Apr 25, 2005: Missed 1 game (quadricep injury).
Apr 24, 2005: Quadricep injury, day-to-day.

The point here is that you can't expect Pena to give you 500-600 at bats. Combine that with his terrible defense, and it is a horrible idea to go into the season with him at any starting OF position.
That obviously shows that teh wrist injury that originally put him out(which eh had before he got to Boston) bothered him all year. You're gonna base his durability on a season in which his wrist was messed up the whole year so he had to sit at times? Puh-lease....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #2752
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
That obviously shows that teh wrist injury that originally put him out(which eh had before he got to Boston) bothered him all year. You're gonna base his durability on a season in which his wrist was messed up the whole year so he had to sit at times? Puh-lease....
I'll have to look it up, but I remember him having hamstring problems a couple times in Cincy.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »