Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #2817
Get Ducked Up!

oakfan162's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

just a quick question. When do you guys decide to switch over to the Boston Red Sox - 2007 thread?
Warriors
49ers
Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #2818
All Star

OVR: 25

According to the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5099281), the Red Sox and Rockies are engaged in talks over Todd Helton. No players have really been mentioned in the story just that the Rockies want young relief pitching. Helton is still owed 90 million over six years which makes any deal unlikely given his bad back and falling power numbers. Still, from a talent persepective he's an upgrade over Lowell and Youk could go back to third. He would be another tough at-bat in the Red Sox lineup and could be placed either in front of Ortiz or behind Drew. So, he makes sense in that regard but the money and years remaining on his deal are a huge obstacle.

In other news, single game tickets go on sale today. Good luck to anyone trapped in the virtual waiting rooms.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #2819
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

We should start the 2007 thread...

And this pesky Todd Helton rumor is very disconcerting. I have no idea what Epstein and the team might be thinking with this one. I think I'd prefer Kevin Youkilis and Mike Lowell at 1B and 3B over Todd Helton and Kevin Youkilis (assuming they won't move Youkilis).

Unless the Rockies are kicking in 50% of Todd Helton's massive, bloated contract (which would be $45 million), I can't see the justification for making this kind of move. Do they really think that lowly of Mike Lowell's offensive ability? Also, while I am certainly not the biggest Craig Hansen fan, I think he still has the ability to make it all click and become a dominant relief pitcher. Helton is a Coors inflated hitter who is on the downside of his career.

He also strikes me as the prototypical steroids enhanced hitter. Now that he's likely off the juice, I wouldn't want my team anywhere near him. This seems like a pretty Yankee-esque move to me.

Let's not even consider them shipping off Ellsbury. That would make this rumored deal drift into Billy King territory..I am almost certain that Theo isn't foolish enough to move Ellsbury.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #2820
All Star

I don't think Lowell is a dangerous hitter at all or anywhere near the type of offensive player Helton is. Both are on the downside of their career. Helton is basically a gap hitter at this point but a patient and dangerous one. If Colorado would be willing to assume near 50% of that horrible contract and just a relief pitcher, I think it would be a good move assuming the Sox have a place to ship Lowell off too (who has enough value to an NL team to bring back a B-/C+ type prospect).

Certainly it would take the perfect scenario for a trade like that make sense, anything less than 45 million and just Delcarmen or Hansen wouldn't make any sense. I think it is highy unlikely he'd get moved though because of his terrible contract.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #2821
MVP

OVR: 15

First JD and now (possibly) Helton?

Wow

What exactly is Theo doing?
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #2822
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha

Wow

All part of his long term plan.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #2823
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha

Wow

I'm not sure if you're looking for a serious answer but I'll bite. Theo is clearly trying to put together a lineup that is really hard to pitch too. I think he saw where the Red Sox missed out on Abreu and he's trying to replicate that. Think of it this way, both JD Drew and Helton have the same approach at the plate as Abreu and are both arguably better hitters than the former Phillie. A lot of the Yankees success offensively last season was that most of the guys in their lineup were not free swingers and are tough outs. Really, the only guy I can think of who isn't is Cano but he's shown an ability to put the ball in play which partially makes up for it. If the Red Sox add Helton to the mix, they'll have a lineup that's pretty much the same way. The only guy projected to start for the Red Sox who is more of a free-swinger is Crisp, and he's not too bad, just not what I would consider a patient hitter. Lowell certainly is though, and as we saw in the second half of last year when he isn't getting doubles he's virtually useless in that lineup. I don't think his glove made up for his offensive shortcomings at a position that demands solid offensive contributions.

It isn't a new concept for the Red Sox as their philosophy since Epstein came aboard was to get high OBP guys who work the count. Last year I think they got away from that a little and now are trying to get back on track. Certainly Helton isn't a perfect solution as he comes at a high price and brings some risk but if healthy, he gives the Red Sox another dangerous bat and maybe the best lineup in baseball.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #2824
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit

It isn't a new concept for the Red Sox as their philosophy since Epstein came aboard was to get high OBP guys who work the count.
That's true. And I could understand this and roll with it a little bit better if didn't hear how the sentiment amongst the RS FO is that Manny's contract is a anvil around their neck.

If that's the case with Manny, what would Helton be? Even at a reduced rate.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »