Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #65
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

My early thoughts...

- Don't care about the Manny situation. Can't imagine why anybody would.

- Foulke seems to be saying all the right things. We'll see if he can return to the 90-91 MPH level on his fastball. Don't forget: He couldn't locate his changeup at all last year, so this will be key to watch as well. I'm tempering my optimism on Foulke, because the moment he blows one save (and it will happen sooner or later), people are going to start ripping the guy. He seems primed as public enemy #1 for some reason. No clue why.

- I'm just waiting for one of the team's on the West Coast to find one of their projected starters has an injury. This should trigger Wells departure.

- I'm real worried about Lowell. This guy has disaster written all over him IMHO. If he gets off to a slow start (and this is a very real possibility), people are going to absolutely tear this guy a new one, given how much he is making. I hope I'm wrong on this one, because his contribution could really change the nature of the lineup IMO.

- The late innings infield defense has me feeling pretty damn good. Lowell, Gonzalez (has he shown up yet?), Loretta, Snow. That appears to be quite solid defensively.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #66
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood

Maybe not everyone is thrilled with a star player getting special treatment just because hes a pain in the ***. Sometimes, this creates jealousy and controversy in the clubhouse which, even on a team with a clubhouse chemistry as perfect as the Red Sox reportedly do, can create problems.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #67
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
Maybe not everyone is thrilled with a star player getting special treatment just because hes a pain in the ***. Sometimes, this creates jealousy and controversy in the clubhouse which, even on a team with a clubhouse chemistry as perfect as the Red Sox reportedly do, can create problems.

Hasn't really created too many problems yet, so I'll wait until someone other than Manny is publically affected by Manny's antics before caring about his crazy-ness.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #68
All Star

OVR: 25

Manny shows up late every year to spring training, who really gives a ****?! The media just loves to bust his balls, otherwise we wouldn't even be hearing about it.

Foulke couldn't locate anything last year, not only his change. You could tell guys just starting sitting on changeup because the fastball was everywhere and then Foulke would just groove a change thinking he could sneak it by hitters. Case in point, the Tejada homer off of him.

Lowell does scare me as well. I really don't expect much out of him but he can't be worse than he was a year ago. I really don't know what fan expectations are of him so I'm not sure what it will take for him to start hearing the boo birds.

If Nixon is healthy and Youk proves himself capable at first I really like the defense for this team in general, not just the late innings. The only "hole" right now would be Manny, but he plays Fenway's left field adequately. It's when the Red Sox hit the road and go to some of the bigger parks that he becomes a liability.

Schilling looks a hell of a lot better than he did a year ago. He looks younger which I can only assume means he's in better shape, or maybe I'm just fooled by the longer hair. Whether or not it translates onto the mound is another thing, but it certainly is a good sign. If Schilling can pitch like a front of the rotation guy this year, then I really like our pitching staff. Esepcially knowing that Lester and Hanson are there for depth at the Triple A level.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #69
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Nobody has ever questioned Manny's preparation so I don't know why we should start now. Seems like writers trying to create a story out of nothing.

Quote:
- Foulke seems to be saying all the right things. We'll see if he can return to the 90-91 MPH level on his fastball. Don't forget: He couldn't locate his changeup at all last year, so this will be key to watch as well. I'm tempering my optimism on Foulke, because the moment he blows one save (and it will happen sooner or later), people are going to start ripping the guy. He seems primed as public enemy #1 for some reason. No clue why.
You make a good point about Foulke's changeup location. People made such a big deal about his fastball being slower, but his real issue was not being able to throw the changeup for strikes. If he has his best changeup he can get away with an 86-89 mph fastball. Last year hitters knew he couldnt get the changeup over the plate so were just sitting on the fastball, which was getting hammered no matter what the speed.

Quote:
- I'm just waiting for one of the team's on the West Coast to find one of their projected starters has an injury. This should trigger Wells departure.
I can't wait. Wells is the perfect fill in for a team that loses a starter. It should be interesting to see what the Red Sox are looking for in return.

Quote:
- I'm real worried about Lowell. This guy has disaster written all over him IMHO. If he gets off to a slow start (and this is a very real possibility), people are going to absolutely tear this guy a new one, given how much he is making. I hope I'm wrong on this one, because his contribution could really change the nature of the lineup IMO.
I admit that Lowell is a big question mark, but he improves the defense at 3B (even though Mueller was very good) and should give you at least the amount of pop that we saw from 3B last year, which wasn't much. He won't get on base as much as Mueller, but we should hopefully see more power. Lowell might not live up to his salary but I think most people he's only here because of Beckett so will give him a free pass early on.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #70
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
There are players who get preferential treatment on every team in baseball. Not sure where you heard reports of Red Sox perfect chemistry either, we have too many new faces to have any sort of chemisty. When it comes down to it, most players will take a "cancer" who can hit like Manny over a good clubhouse guy like Millar any day.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #71
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Schilling looks a hell of a lot better than he did a year ago. He looks younger which I can only assume means he's in better shape, or maybe I'm just fooled by the longer hair. Whether or not it translates onto the mound is another thing, but it certainly is a good sign. If Schilling can pitch like a front of the rotation guy this year, then I really like our pitching staff. Esepcially knowing that Lester and Hanson are there for depth at the Triple A level.
I think there's no question Schilling is healthier given that he's actually been able to workout in the offseason. However, I would be surprised to see him return to 2004 form, especially after reading this in the Globe today:

Quote:
Zip missing
It's difficult to trust your eyes when watching pitchers throw in February, but it's evident from seeing Josh Beckett, Jon Papelbon, Jon Lester, and Schilling throw side by side that the three younger pitchers are driving off the mound and throwing the ball with more authority than Schilling.
That being said, I don't think we need the 2004 Schilling in a rotation with Beckett, Wake, Clement, Arroyo and Papelbon. These guys all have the potential to win 15 games so we don't need Schilling to win 20 and carry the rotation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #72
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
There are players who get preferential treatment on every team in baseball. Not sure where you heard reports of Red Sox perfect chemistry either, we have too many new faces to have any sort of chemisty. When it comes down to it, most players will take a "cancer" who can hit like Manny over a good clubhouse guy like Millar any day.
Cam, come on man... you can't deny that Manny conducts more public antics than almost any other player in sports aside from TO. Especially playing for a high profile team like Boston doesnt help.

Yes every team has guys that get preferential treatment but last year after the Green Monster incident... the annual trade demands.. and the "anonymous" quotes about Schilling's rehab... people who dont even know him are sick of him. Imagine how his teammates must feel. Obviously you nor I have any idea what goes on behind those clubhouse doors but I would assume his teammates dont find all of the things he does to be funny. So now on top of that his teammates see that one of the worst behaved players on the team is getting a free pass from the front office? I've been on plenty of teams and theres nothing I hate more than when a teammate of mine gets a free pass on something that would be not be tolerated for anyone else.

And the "perfect chemistry" point was just me being sarcastic about how the media constantly portrays the Sox as the fun loving clubhouse but it seems as if, like you said, with al the new faces that really isnt the case anymore..

Last edited by deeman11747; 02-22-2006 at 10:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »