Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #1417
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Anyone anticipating any dumps as the deadline looms? I would be devestated if Andruw was in the rumor mills, plus I just don't see them turning this around without him leading them out of it.
I think Giles is probably as good as gone. Smoltz, maybe if they can get a nice return around the deadline... as much as I would hate to see him go, it would actually be pretty cool if he went back to Detroit to help them win a title.

The Jones', I think are staying. Andruw's still got another year on his deal at a reasonable amount. This offseason or during next season, though, we might see something. Bora$ has said no hometown discount this time, so I suspect he'll get his next contract from somebody else... They'd probably like to trade Chipper, but at his age and with his salary (and decreased production) that's not likely. Plus he's a 10-5 guy, so he can veto any deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
What a season though...even the top prospect heralded by all is having an absolutely dreadful year. I'd like to see Chuck James keep pitching well and maybe Sosa can be effective at the end of the game while Joey Devine matures.
With some of the rosters we've put together the last few years, I think we're pretty lucky it lasted this long...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #1418
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

These umps must be on the Yankee payroll.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #1419
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrave
With some of the rosters we've put together the last few years, I think we're pretty lucky it lasted this long...
I think that's why last year was so fun to follow the Braves. It seemed like everyone in the system got called up and made a huge impact as Andruw had the career year I've been waiting years for. When you see all that youth carry a team, you just figure they're set for another run...but even if they all did the same thing, that bullpen and the Mets just wouldn't allow it.

For me, McCann is easily the bright spot; him and Joe Mauer could be doing the catching at many future All Star games. And as a Sox fan, I'm thrilled to see Renteria having the year he's having...even if it doesn't matter.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #1420
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

I agree about Smoltz. I love him to death and would absolutely hate to see him go, but the fact of the matter is, he's probably got 2-3 years left. If we're going to deal him, let's do it while we can get a good player or two for him. I really like Giles myself. Great in the field and has been a pretty good hitter. I think he just struggles from the leadoff spot and I wish we could get someone else to leadoff and move Giles to 2nd or further down in the order. Chipper, well, I ask myself all the time what happened to him. Where is the pop he used to have? He used to be a regular HR threat and he hasn't been for a couple of years. What happened to the MVP of 1999? I agree, if we could deal him, we could get a better player, and unload some payroll. But he is the "poster child" for the Braves, and unfortunately he hasn't lived up to expectations for the past couple of years. Having said that, I don't see Chipper going anywhere. I would hate to see us deal Andruw. He has finally become the hitter we all knew he could be and he still flashes the leather like he always has. The fact is, we have a lot of tough situations right now, and the ownership we are currently under doesn't help one bit.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #1421
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
I really like Giles myself. Great in the field and has been a pretty good hitter. I think he just struggles from the leadoff spot and I wish we could get someone else to leadoff and move Giles to 2nd or further down in the order.
Rumor has it Joey Gathright is on their radar. I think he's completely overrated due to speed and between bad jumps and a pathetic arm, I'd hate to see him in center after getting spoiled by AJ. He's walking more, but has the pop of Raffy Belliard, but Dayton could spin him back to us according to some...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #1422
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

HR LAROCHE!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #1423
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

2-0 Braves in the 7th.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #1424
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
I really like Giles myself. Great in the field and has been a pretty good hitter. I think he just struggles from the leadoff spot and I wish we could get someone else to leadoff and move Giles to 2nd or further down in the order.
I'm a fan of Giles, as well, I just get the sense that the Braves are going to move him. He's got another year 'til free agency, and he's not really making big bucks. Even with his struggles at the plate, he's been outstanding in the field. I'm sure he would be attractive to a number of teams.

I actually think it would be a mistake to deal him now, during the worst season of his career. He's a much better player than this, and I have no doubt that he'll bounce back next year.

And I don't even really put much into the leadoff thing. Look at Kevin Youkilis in Boston, far from the prototypical leadoff hitter. I just think Giles is having a bad year, it happens.

Last year's leadoff hitter isn't doing much better in LA, by the way...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »