Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #2329
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfan
Coincidence or not, I didn't really notice it until around the time his book came out. I had no beef with him before that, in fact if you were to review my posts from 2 or 3 years ago they would've been quite complimentary towards him.

I don't know, maybe I'm seeing something that's not there. I've never really gotten into it with him (mainly because I rarely post there anymore), it's just something I've observed lately.

Unrelated, one of the funniest things I've ever read from Shanks was on one of his "Chipper's not a leader" rants when he actually said he (Shanks) is closer to Adam LaRoche than any of his teammates are. I don't know what that had to do with anything, but I found it hilarious.

As far as his inside info is concerned, he's still usually the first to post Braves news, otherwise I'd probably never go over there. But you gotta love the Thomson/Furcal for Teixeira type nonsense...

And as much crap as I get for my name changes, I'd rather send that money to Steve than pay for the stuff Shanks considers "Breaking News".
I remember the LaRoche comment, I too found it pretty funny.

I'm not trying to say that Shanks always has bad information because he always breaks a story for us, like you said. It's just when he tries to predict the future, he really sucks at it. I know I posted way ealier in the thread that Shanks was expecting us to make a trade within a day or two. I think it took another month for us to make that trade.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #2330
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
I remember the LaRoche comment, I too found it pretty funny.

I'm not trying to say that Shanks always has bad information because he always breaks a story for us, like you said. It's just when he tries to predict the future, he really sucks at it. I know I posted way ealier in the thread that Shanks was expecting us to make a trade within a day or two. I think it took another month for us to make that trade.
Yeah, I think the problem is when he makes statements like that and implies that he knows something, when he's really just speculating like the rest of us.

Like Glavine. Evidently he thinks we'll sign him this offseason. We'll see. Wouldn't be a shock certainly, Glavine's said publicly (or at least suggested) that he'll either play for the Mets or the Braves next year.

Not quite sure how I feel about that. On one hand, Glav was probably my favorite of the Big 3 when he was still here, and I'd love to see him win #300 with the Braves. On the other hand, I don't know if the Braves should tie up that money in a 41-year old pitcher who seems to be breaking down, at least a little.

Last edited by bravosfan; 08-29-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #2331
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

So 4.5 back with just over 30 games left. Not to mention we play a lot of the teams ahead of us the rest of the way. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #2332
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
So 4.5 back with just over 30 games left. Not to mention we play a lot of the teams ahead of us the rest of the way. What do you guys think?
I didn't even realize that we were back to within 4.5 games until you posted this. We just aren't good enough to jump this many teams. We've been hovering around the 4.5 games back mark forever but we never seem to get any closer. If we sweep the Giants I'll have some hope but until then I just don't see us getting to the playoffs.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 PM   #2333
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

I would feel better about it had we not had so many SP gone. I mean I am not comfortable with 2RP starting and only getting 5IP from both at best. Thankfully though Hudson and Smoltz seem to be playing at their best lately. I still think we have a shot because we play many of the teams ahead of us. What really annoys me is we can't give away games like we did agaisnt the Nats and Pirates last week, we need to shutthe door and win those games.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #2334
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
I didn't even realize that we were back to within 4.5 games until you posted this. We just aren't good enough to jump this many teams. We've been hovering around the 4.5 games back mark forever but we never seem to get any closer. If we sweep the Giants I'll have some hope but until then I just don't see us getting to the playoffs.
I agree, though I believe we're only 3 out in the loss column. Which is insane, but I guess just illustrates how weak all the other teams are, too...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #2335
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but.....you have to observe with caution.

Let's focus on tonight. Hudson, get your *** back on track, man!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #2336
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Hillenbrand and Bonds go back-to-back in the first, 2-0 San Fran...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »