Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #2721
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Please stay gone Glavine.

I am sorry guys I would have wanted him back if not for the comments he made in recent years about the Braves run being "boring" and glad to dethrone them and how special it was. Is he suddenly going to come back and think it isn't "boring" anymore? This guy is a union hack and turned his back on the us for an option he doesn't even want to take.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #2722
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownpoet
Please stay gone Glavine.

I am sorry guys I would have wanted him back if not for the comments he made in recent years about the Braves run being "boring" and glad to dethrone them and how special it was. Is he suddenly going to come back and think it isn't "boring" anymore? This guy is a union hack and turned his back on the us for an option he doesn't even want to take.
If he can pitch well, he'll be forgiven.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #2723
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'd like to have him back but....with some of his comments and how he's so involved with Union bullcrap, I don't know. I'm a stickler for loyalty and class when it comes to things like that, but some of the things he said just rubbed me very wrong.

I guess we'll figure it out as the offseason goes on.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #2724
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24

Glavine ponders uncertain future

Quote:
Glavine said that he could see himself pitching in one of two uniforms next season: that of the Mets or the Atlanta Braves, for whom he won 242 of those games and who would offer the comfort of living closer to his four children and their residence in Alpharetta, Ga.

"There's a lot of reasons why I want to stay here, and obviously some things that make me think about going home," he said. "I haven't gotten there yet. I have to talk to my family and at some point talk to [Mets COO] Jeff [Wilpon].

"It's not going to be an easy decision either way. We'll just let it play out."

Glavine and the Mets have a mutual option that could keep the left-hander in New York for another season. The player option for 2007 is for $7.5 million, and the Mets have a club option for $14 million.

General manager Omar Minaya indicated that the team is interested in bringing back the 40-year-old.

"I'm very hopeful that Tom Glavine will be a New York Met next year," Minaya said. "I think we're going to have to sit down with Tom and [find out] his issues, but we would love to have Tom Glavine back."
Quote:
During the season, Glavine resides in Connecticut, and his family has spent the summers with him, but there are several weeks during the schedule when Glavine wonders what he might be missing at home.

"It's my family," he said. "That's the biggest issue. It's hard being away from home, and it's harder now. My kids are all four years older. There's more going on, and they understand me not being home more. That part of it gets harder.

"It's certainly not the kind of thing [where] we couldn't suck it up and do it for one more year, but I think it's also the kind of thing that I have to be sensitive to."
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #2725
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Pendleton bows out of Nats' managerial race

Quote:
Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton took himself out as a candidate to become manager of the Nationals, informing the club on Monday. The news comes a day after Joe Girardi took himself out of the managerial race for family reasons.

Like Girardi, Pendleton was considered one of the top candidates for the managerial job. He interviewed for the position more than two weeks ago. Pendleton has long ties to team president Stan Kasten -- the two worked together for four-plus seasons in the 1990s when both were with the Braves. But Pendleton said loyalty to the Braves was the reason he decided to stay put.

"I thought my obligations at this time are to the Braves," Pendleton said. "I knew that they really wanted me back and I didn't think it was fair to keep them on a string."

Andruw's agent seeks bigger deal

Quote:
Just before the announcement of baseball's new labor agreement Tuesday, agent Scott Boras indicated to the Journal-Constitution that Jones' next deal would dwarf his six-year, $75 million contract that expires after the 2007 season.

More and more, it seems likely Jones could be leaving Atlanta after 2007.

"The Braves had a payroll in the top five in the 1990s," Boras said. "Obviously the [payroll] decision-makers have hampered the team, because essentially [the reduced payroll] prohibits the pursuit of star players."
Quote:
Boras said Jones would be with the team in 2007, dismissing the possibility of the center fielder being traded this winter or during the season.

He has no-trade protection as a 10-and-5 player with 10 years of major league service and five with his current team, but Jones could waive it if the Braves approached him with a trade proposal that was attractive to him.

"Andruw has the control and Andruw is going to be an Atlanta Brave for the '07 season, that's clear," Boras said. "He'll see how the season plays out and what the team's situation is."
Quote:
"Andruw is the only complete player," Boras said. "You're talking about a premier defensive player and a slugger. No one comes close to Andruw's ability."

The Braves can probably forget about a "hometown discount" this time around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #2726
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Well....that's certainly encouraging news.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #2727
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Well....that's certainly encouraging news.
Which one? I'd say the Andruw one is quite discouraging.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #2728
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm pretty sure every agent says either two things in a player's last year of his contract...

"Player A has always loved this place and wants to finish his career here"

"Player A has loved playing here, but wants to see what he is worth on the open market"

Both comments can provide the same results... It's just talk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »