Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #2753
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Hopefully we can swing Linebrink for Giles?
That seems to be the popular trade idea. The Braves have been after Linebrink a while.

He's also a free agent after '07, hopefully we can lock him up if that deal happens... but I kinda doubt it.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #2754
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
The 40-year-old Glavine, who has a player option for his services and a $14 million team option that the Mets have until Nov. 20 to pick up, is still trying to decide whether he wants to finish his career with the Mets or with the Atlanta Braves.

Glavine, who spent 16 seasons with the Braves before signing with the Mets prior to the 2003 season, still makes his home in suburban Atlanta, where his family spends most of the season. Just 10 victories shy of 300, Glavine has said that, if he remains healthy, 2007 will be his final season.

"I don't see anything happening in the near future," agent Gregg Clifton said by phone from his Scottsdale, Ariz., office. "Tom continues to consider his options and continues to discuss the situation with his family.

"Similar to when he made the decision to join the Mets, Tom is a very thoughtful and thorough person. He's just taking his time."

It's likely that the Mets will also let their deadline pass and that Glavine, who was 15-7 with a 3.82 ERA for the NL East champs last season, will make his decision some time before the start of next month's winter meetings.
http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index....070.xml&coll=1

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to drag on as long as possible, only for him to end up returning to the Mets and leave us scrambling for a 'plan B'?

EDIT: Glavine files provisionally for free agency

Last edited by bravosfan; 11-09-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #2755
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

More Glavine:

Quote:
"I pretty much told [Mets COO Jeff Wilpon] that I won't hang him up on this, that I'll probably let him know before the winter meetings," Glavine said.

The winter meetings, scheduled for Dec. 4-7, begin two weeks after the last day the Mets can exercise their option on his contract and force Glavine to return.

"It was a foregone conclusion that I wouldn't exercise my option [for $7.5 million], just like I don't expect them to exercise theirs [for $14 million]," Glavine said.

If he were to return, his salary would be a figure in between the two. But Glavine said money isn't any kind of determining factor, and that, as he has said since Spring Training, family considerations -- proximity and convenience -- are.

He also noted that he has no sense of the desires of the Braves, the only club other than the Mets with which he would sign. Until he filed Thursday, Glavine and his representatives were prohibited from speaking with any club other than the Mets. And until the free agent filing period ends Saturday, they are prohibited from talking with any club other than the Mets about contract terms.
Quote:
"I'm a little surprised that I have so little sense of what I'm going to do," Glavine said. "I'm listing all the positives for [the Mets and Braves] in columns and trying to assess what I have as educatedly as I can. I don't want to jump at any one thing, and I'm trying not to be overly influenced by how much I'm enjoying myself being home now.
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp...2006&fext=.jsp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #2756
Fear Ameer

skitch's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveGamer
Why do I have the feeling that this is going to drag on as long as possible, only for him to end up returning to the Mets and leave us scrambling for a 'plan B'?
Honestly, I have the exact same feeling.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #2757
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Braves could deal at Florida meetings

Quote:
Braves general manager John Schuerholz has a second home in Naples, Fla., but doesn't plan to spend much time in it this week while baseball's GM meetings are going at the Naples Ritz-Carlton.

The trade and free-agent markets could heat up earlier than usual this winter, and Schuerholz said the Braves might be involved in one or more transactions this week. He plans on spending most waking hours at the Ritz-Carlton.

"I wouldn't be surprised either way," he said of trade possibilities. "We could make a trade or two, based on conversations that are ongoing."

That is unusual candor coming from Schuerholz, an old-school GM who operates more covertly than others, preferring not to show his cards.
Quote:
The Braves are in the market for a setup man along with a left-handed reliever, and have also inquired about starting pitchers.

They aren't competing for the ace starters that big-spenders such as the Yankees, Mets and Boston are going for, but there remains a tantalizing situation with Tom Glavine and the Braves. Maybe.

The former Braves lefty says he's still trying to decide whether to stay with the Mets or return to pitch in Atlanta, where his family makes its home.

"I can't worry about what other people are saying," Schuerholz said. "I'm not going to comment on that because it's a situation that just doesn't involve us at the moment. I'll leave it at that."
Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #2758
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Braves rumored to have some interest in free agent OF Dave Roberts...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #2759
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

I was thinkin'...

With the contracts that some relatively mediocre starters are looking at (Meche, Padilla, Eaton, El Duque), there could be a decent market for Tim Hudson. Even after his poor year.

I doubt they'll move him, though, he is still considered a premier starter... I think.

Last edited by bravosfan; 11-15-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #2760
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Quote:
The longer Tom Glavine delays his decision about returning to the Mets, one National League general manager speculated Thursday, the better the chances that he will rejoin the Braves.

Glavine, 40, will become a free agent at midnight Monday, the deadline for the Mets to exercise his $14 million option, the value of which would increase to $16 million if he made the All-Star team.

The Mets aren't going to trigger such a budget-busting contract, but for weeks it has been assumed that they would re-sign Glavine to a two-year deal worth between $22 million and $24 million.

Such an agreement remains the most likely outcome, but at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday Glavine can begin negotiating with the Braves, his team from 1987 to 2002.

If he returned to Atlanta, he could attain the 10 wins he needs for 300 game in a Braves' uniform, and — more importantly — stay at home with his wife and children instead of flying them to New York for occasional visits.

"It appears as though Tom's decision-making process is going to go beyond the Mets' option deadline," Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Thursday. "Assuming the Mets do not exercise their option, the Braves certainly will have an opportunity if they're interested, to make a proposal to Tom.

"It will be an opportunity to see how much they really want him back."
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6180928

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »