Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 AM   #2785
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Yeah, another good arm or two down there would be nice. I'm still assuming Giles will be traded for a reliever at some point... though we may have to settle for less than a Linebrink.

At least we'll have a full year of the Wickster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 AM   #2786
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Not so fast...

Braves' beat-writer Dave O'Brien posted this on his blog:

Quote:
OK, here’s the “BREAKING NEWS”: There is no breaking news, not on the Glavine front. I just got off the phone with his agent, and he assured me there has been NO OFFER made by the Braves, no formal discussions regarding potential dollars, etc. Only casual conversations in which they expressed that they’d like to have Tom back, but that’s it.

Mets haven’t made an offer because they’re waiting for Glavine to tell them whether he wants to work something out with Braves. Again, I’d be stunned if it’s not a two-year offer they make, similar to the one Mussina just got from Yanks ($23 mill for two years).

Right now, it a long way from Tom returning to Atlanta. Because as much as he wants to, if the Braves don’t make a competitive offer, and soon, it might quickly become unlikely. Mets have told Glavine they need an answer before the winter meetings, preferably by this weekend.

They need to know so they can go into the meetings in Orlando knowing whether they need to go all-out for Zito or someone else.

Now, why would the Braves be dragging their feet? Didn’t get anything on that from his agent, but I’d guess it’s because the Braves are trying to complete a trade to open up some payroll room or perhaps to open a spot in the rotation, or both. Giles? Likely, I’d say. Hudson? Still seems unlikely, to me, but perhaps not.

I just have a very strong belief that they’re trying to pull off a trade before they make a formal offer to Glavine.

One thing’s for sure: Anyone writing that it’s a done deal, or even that there’s been a formal offer, is giving you bad info.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #2787
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

I trust Bill over O'Brien...if he says they're close or something is brewing, I believe that there is.

I guess this means a Hudson deal is on the horizon, can't see us bringing Tommy back while keeping Huddy.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #2788
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

By the way, O'Brien just put up a new blog if anybody wants to check it out...

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...ves_offer.html
Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #2789
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Glavine's agent is the only thing that concerns me. I'm not sure he would've left in the first place if not for Gregg Clifton... and the comments I'm reading now don't exactly leave me with a great feeling.

Quote:
"He can't even evaluate that they really want him if he doesn't have an offer," Clifton said Wednesday. "The bottom line is, we're waiting to see if Atlanta wants to make a proposal to us. We've had really nice dialogue on a few occasions and we've kind of left it: We're open. We're waiting for John to give us a call if he would like to."
Quote:
"As time has gone on, I think it's actually been the potential pull and the desire to go back to New York and be a Met that has delayed this process and further complicated his decision-making," Clifton said.
Quote:
"They're showing an incredible amount of class," Clifton said, "because at the end of the day they have allowed him to do everything he asked to, which was to go home, to get back into the normal family mode and give him an opportunity to really think this thing through. I think it's working to their advantage, to be honest with you."
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6221674
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 PM   #2790
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Peter Gammons was on ESPN Radio, Mike and MIke, today and he says that although the Braves want Glavine, they don't have the money to afford him unless they trade Hudson. Lets not forget that Hampton and his salary are back in play here. He said, as of the moment, what the Braves are offering isn't close to what Glavine wants, but that Glavine and his wife want to go back to ATlanta.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #2791
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Yeah, I heard that. Basically the same thing O'Brien was saying.

I'm not sure what to believe... I just know I don't trust Gregg Clifton at all.

Last edited by bravosfan; 11-29-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #2792
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Yeah, I don't either. And to be honest, i'd rather stick with Hudson then trade him and go with Glavine for 1 maybe 2 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »