Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #41
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Braves sign Aussie from WBC

Quote:
Australian righthander Peter Moylan opened eyes in Pool D when he came in against Venezuela throwing in the mid-90s. He was so impressive that the Braves signed him to a minor league contract.

The former Twins farmhand, who pitched two seasons in Rookie-ball in 1997-98, rejuvenated his pitching career last June by dropping his arm angle to low three-quarters. He also has overcome a litany of injuries that includes two back surgeries. In the process the pharmaceutical sales rep went from throwing in the high-80s to the mid-90s. He showed his newfound velocity against Venezuela by fanning Bobby Abreu, Magglio Ordonez and Ramon Hernandez.

The 27-year-old, who is affectionately referred to as "Wild Thing" by Australian manager Jon Deeble in honor of Charlie Sheen's character in "Major League" because of his sideburns, glasses and tattoos, lived up to the moniker in his only WBC outing.

He impressed the scouts with his fastball that touched 96 and four strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings, but the righthander also went through a stretch where he threw 11 straight balls and walked five and allowed an earned run in his brief stint.

"I thought it was time for me to forget about playing professionally,'' Moylan told the Australian website baseballvictoria.com. "I was just going to worry about work and my family, and just play in the state leagues here. But, to get to 27 and have people offering me contracts, it's unbelievable.''
Now we need to sign that Korean 1st baseman, Sung Yup Lee or whatever...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 AM   #42
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

Davies impressing

Quote:
"He looked like a 20-game winner today," Cox said of Davies. "He really did. He can't pitch any better than he did today. That was a 10."

"That might be the best I've ever seen him, ever, even the Boston game," Cox said. "He was that good. I was thrilled with that performance."
Other notes:

-John Foster is going to sit out about a month, may still eventually need Tommy John surgery

-Which puts Mike Remlinger back in the picture. He's been better his last couple appearances.

-Brian Jordan is still picking up hits, it would probably be an upset at this point if he didn't make the team.

-Diaz and Jurries continue to impress, Diaz is out of options so he'll likely stick around. If Jordan makes the team, Jurries is probably out, unless Kelly Johnson (sore elbow) is DL'd, sent down, or traded.

-Marcus Giles, Ryan Langerhans and Wilson Betemit have each been sidelined recently due to injury, but are expected to return soon.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #43
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Sweet....I wanna see this guy in a Braves uniform just b/c of his Rick Vaughn-like appearance!

I feel very uncomfortable about Mike Remlinger having a bigger role in the bullpen. Hopefully Foster will be alright.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #44
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

I should've also mentioned that Joey Devine is kicking *** this spring: 8 IP, 0.00 ERA, 15 strikeouts.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #45
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveGamer
I should've also mentioned that Joey Devine is kicking *** this spring: 8 IP, 0.00 ERA, 15 strikeouts.
WOW.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #46
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
that's awesome!

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 03-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #47
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

How's this for a Spring Training anomaly - The GM's son, Jonathan Schuerholz, has 5 career homeruns in nearly 1500 minor league at bats. This spring, 3 homers in 20 AB's.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #48
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
How's this for a Spring Training anomaly - The GM's son, Jonathan Schuerholz, has 5 career homeruns in nearly 1500 minor league at bats. This spring, 3 homers in 20 AB's.
I only remember seeing him homer twice in his career at Auburn, maybe he hit one more. I know one of his homers was a grand slam to beat Bama, and I'm pretty sure the other homer of his was a grand slam too. It was odd, he really showed no power in college either. Anyway, I hope he makes it to Atlanta eventually. I think I heard GM Schuerholz say that his son is slated to start in AA this year, maybe he has worked himself into AAA to start the season.

EDIT: I just checked Schuerholz career stats at Auburn, 2 career HRs, both grand slams. I guess he is an anomaly when it comes to hitting homers.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

Last edited by aukevin; 03-21-2006 at 12:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »