Home

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

This is a discussion on 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-26-2006, 04:56 AM   #57
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

More Thomson chatter: Link

Quote:
It's believed the Braves have interest in Pirates first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson, who's due $3.3 million this season and who doesn't figure to play much because of the presence of everyday players Sean Casey at first base and Jeromy Burnitz in right field.

Thomson, a veteran, would seem to be just what the Pirates need to bolster a young rotation. He could slot in between opening day starter Oliver Perez and third-game starter Zach Duke.

Thomson, 60-77 with a 4.69 earned run average lifetime, has a contract that expires after this season and pays him $4.75 million this year.

It's thought that if the deal is a straight one-for-one transaction, the Pirates could add the extra $1.45 million to their payroll.

But the trade could grow. The Braves also are believed to have some interest in right-handed reliever Salomon Torres. They could ask for him to be included in the deal, and the Pirates could counter that they'd sure like another player back from the Braves in that scenario.
I can't remember the last Brave who was mentioned in so many trade rumors... it sure seems like the Braves are determined to move him.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #58
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

OVR: 13

Funny, but the AJC mentioned in the Friday edition that the Braves have not talked to the Pirates in over 3 weeks about Wilson. However, there were discussions earlier in Spring Training. I would love to see Wilson in a Braves uniform because maybe the Pirates could take Matt Diaz, too and Brian Jordan wouldn't make the team.
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #59
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Surely Craig Wilson wouldn't start over LaRoche?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #60
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Surely Craig Wilson wouldn't start over LaRoche?
No, you would have a LaRoche/Wilson platoon like the LaRoche/Franco platoon the Braves have used the last couple of seasons.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
No, you would have a LaRoche/Wilson platoon like the LaRoche/Franco platoon the Braves have used the last couple of seasons.
I thought James Jurries and Brian Jordan were going to be in a platoon with LaRoche depending on which arm pitcher was on the mound? I dont think the Braves really need to add another first basemen, LaRoche is young and talented, he deserves more of a shot, and then Salty's coming up, so I dont think it would make much sense to add an old veteran with a bigger contract who wont add much and cause a logjam at the position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #62
MVP

Kohlstar20's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdtarheeler
I thought James Jurries and Brian Jordan were going to be in a platoon with LaRoche depending on which arm pitcher was on the mound? I dont think the Braves really need to add another first basemen, LaRoche is young and talented, he deserves more of a shot, and then Salty's coming up, so I dont think it would make much sense to add an old veteran with a bigger contract who wont add much and cause a logjam at the position.
Both jurries and jordan aren't going to make the opening day roster. Jordan provides veteran leadership and is a favorite of bobby cox therefore jurries will most likely start the season in the minors. Jordan however doesn't have very much experience playing 1st base so the braves must be looking for a better option to platoon at 1st base with LaRoche and I hate to say it but craig wilson is better than Jordan at 1st. Wilson also gives the braves a decent right handed bat off the bench which they lost when julio franco went to the mets.

Last edited by Kohlstar20; 03-26-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #63
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24

Reitsma injured

Quote:
The last thing the Braves needed was another injured reliever, so they cringed when closer Chris Reitsma left Monday night's game with an injured left hamstring.

They hope and believe it's only a slight strain that will heal before opening day April 3, but the Braves and Reitsma won't know more until they see how he feels in the next day or two.

It's the same leg his landing leg that the right-hander hurt last summer, though that injury was a hyperextension of the knee. Reitsma wasn't effective after that injury in early August.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #64
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

BraveGamer, your avatar is AWESOME! Dave was and is my favorite baseball player EVER! I cried the day he was traded. I'd still throw Sheurholtz off the upper deck if I had the chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »