Home

Tigers' Den (Home of the Detroit Tigers)

This is a discussion on Tigers' Den (Home of the Detroit Tigers) within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: 2006 Detroit Tigers

Got to see the Friday and Sunday game here in Pittsburgh. The Tigers were very well represented here. Lots of fans and most were well behaved (though the couple who sat behind me on Sunday were beyond obnoxious and rude).

Zumaya was hitting 101 MPH consistently on the radar gun most of Friday Night and really had the Pirates struggling (not that it's hard not to!). Only other guy I've seen hit that was Kerry Wood a number of years ago. PNC Park's radar guy is pretty accurate. It also looked like he threw a pretty hard, biting curve.

With that said, why is Todd Jones closing? He almost blew the Friday and Sunday games. Statwise Zumaya has the better numbers. Of course, closing is different than 8th inning baseball and I don't know if Zumaya has the composure for it, but it's hard to argue the numbers that Zumaya is putting up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #66
MVP

Blaze125's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo

With that said, why is Todd Jones closing? He almost blew the Friday and Sunday games. Statwise Zumaya has the better numbers. Of course, closing is different than 8th inning baseball and I don't know if Zumaya has the composure for it, but it's hard to argue the numbers that Zumaya is putting up.
Jim Leyland is a very stubborn manager. He's going to go with his closer, and right now that's Jones until he really screws up (Maybe 5 BS in a row?). I was really nervous when they had the bases loaded with 2 outs, but it sometimes takes luck to win.

Zumaya needs to learn to throw his breaking ball effectively as well, before he starts closing IMO. All batters need to do is sit on his fastball, and they'll be able to hit the ball a long way if they can catch up to it. Hopefully he'll get better at it and we'll have an effective closer for years to come, but for now I think he just needs to develop.

BTW, those Pirates are a persistant team! I thought once we had that 7 run lead it was done. They're a lot better than their record indicates.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #67
Pro

OVR: 6

Although I'm sad that Ben Wallace (Huge Basketball Fan) and Stevie Y both left today, maybe it helps the Tigers. Now they take the spotlight and maybe pressures Mike Illitich(sp?) to pull the trigger on a deal or sign another big name in the off-season... I know that he's already more focused on the Tigers now and is not going to save money from the Tigers budget to use on the Wings (Thank God).
Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #68
MVP

OVR: 8

Wanted to know if any of you guys could tell me what you thought about Zach Miner. I just picked him up in my keeper league's midseason draft but don't know too much about the guy. The only things I've read say that he is pitching well above expectations and Rotoworld says he is "not a good bet for the future." Is he just getting lucky, or can the kid pitch?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #69
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: 2006 Detroit Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsonbat
Wanted to know if any of you guys could tell me what you thought about Zach Miner. I just picked him up in my keeper league's midseason draft but don't know too much about the guy. The only things I've read say that he is pitching well above expectations and Rotoworld says he is "not a good bet for the future." Is he just getting lucky, or can the kid pitch?

Zach Miner is a decent pitcher. Even though he got shelled against the Royals yesterday, he's been doing a really good job of providing quality starts and giving the Tigers a chance to win whever he starts. He's the type of pitcher who doesn't have overpowering stuff so he has to rely mostly on locating his pitches well and outsmarting hitters.

And I would probably agree with that outlook from Rotoworld because he's currently taking over Mike Maroth's spot in the rotation and chances are that he'll be giving it up once Maroth is back and ready to go.

Kruza
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #70
The Magic

zasbury25's Arena

OVR: 10

HUGE series starts tonight vs. the White Sox...hopefully the Tigers can finally win a series against the Sox and extend the lead for 1st place.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #71
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

These losses to the White Sox are REALLY starting to annoy me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #72
The Magic

zasbury25's Arena

OVR: 10

Robertson now has 3 L's in a row...I knew it was a fluke he was pitching above his normal mediocrity this season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »